This forum covers anything and everything else related to WordPress. Don't like the latest release? Or love it? Having problems with menus or widgets? Wondering about all of the Settings options? Trying to sort out all the post types? Share great how-to and other articles with other SBI! for WP users. DAY 6 means WordPress setup, creating pages/posts -- questions? If it's about WordPress and if it doesn't fit in the above 2 forums, this is the spot.

Moderator: James from Worcester, England

#1393348 by PDUK from Holly Ridge
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 am
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know whether word press for SBI is better in the long term rather than BB2?

I have a friend who has a very successful site which he has built through a standalone wordpress site, which begs the question whether i should start again with a WP site and copy all my pages and codes over.

Naturally, I'd rather not do that so i'd like any advice please.

Thanks very much.

#1393427 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 pm
It depends on your needs and expertise with WordPress.

If you were new to WordPress, I would say no. There is more to know about WordPress, security, updating, etc. you don't have to worry about with SBI!'s BB2.

However, depending on your future needs for your site, there may be WP plugins you want to use, and would need to have WordPress instead. You can however have the ability to use SBI!'s brainstorm and MKL modules by using the SBI! for WP plugin in a WP site, so that takes a bit of the learning curve away.

So, six of one, 1/2 dozen of another. ;)

All my best,

#1393475 by PDUK from Holly Ridge
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:37 pm
Hi Debs,

Many thanks for your reply.

Can I ask what kind of plugins is available on WordPress that isn't on BB2?

You see, I have an e-commerce site which may or may not require plugins that aren't available on BB2.

I need to know from the outset which will serve me better because I'm increasingly thinking that BB2 is more geared to a pure content site whereas mine is more of an e-commerce site but I may be wrong?

Can you send me any resources that you may know of which details the plugins available for both BB2 and WP.

Thanks Debs!

#1393485 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm
There are no plugins for SBI!; it is a closed system. For WP plugins check out WordPress itself, there are thousands of them.

SBI! does use Infin It! to connect SBI! to an app (such as WP, shopping cart, forums, etc.). They aren't plugins, they are standalone applications. We help the app to appear as if it is a subdomain of your SBI! site, I.e. or and it is spidered as a subdomain too. However the app is hosted elsewhere, under separate SSL certificate (for https), etc.

The app never interferes with how SBI! works or other apps set up with Infin It! as they don't communicate with each other.

However a plugin can affect how WordPress works (from my understanding) and can conflict with WP or other plugins installed.

All my best,

#1393558 by Arthur from Orange City
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Nick,

Thought I'd chip in as, after nine years on the SBI! platform (BB2 - actually I started with BB1..!) I am finally migrating to WP with the SBIforWP plugin, for similar reasons to you, I think. However, depending on your e-commerce requirements, it may not be necessary.

There are many, many highly successful "pure" SBI! sites out there and indeed SBI! owners have a much higher success rate than most other platforms. The monetisation models they use are suitable for the "Solo Build It!" model, which, much like the Apple Mac, does a few core things very well (and have fantastic support and an incredible community) so solopreneurs can focus on what they do best, which is usually creating great content.

If you are looking to sell individual items, promoted, say, via reviews and other pre-selling pages, SBI! BB2 is fine. I see from your site that this is basically what you have at present. What I have written next I wrote before I looked at it (doh!) so while it is hopefully useful information, it may not be necessary for you.

WordPress allows a much greater range of possibilities and opportunities to sell anything in a way which is much easier for the customer, without leaving the site (as you have to with third party cart systems). This does have implications, of course - you need to sort out security (though a good WP host will sort that for you), make the payment gateway work with the e-commerce plugin and, if you're thorough, integrate the process with other systems like your email list. For a beginner this can be intimidating but if you have a bit of time to figure it out, there is plenty of help out there and the good hosting companies will do most of it for you or advise well.

I personally use **removed by admin, promotion / affiliate links are NOT permitted, please read forum guidelines"

or check out this forum for more options: viewforum.php?f=138 and this page in the SBIforWP action guide: ... y-hosting/]

With my forthcoming WP site, which uses a magazine style theme, I have a membership plugin which allows me to take subscriptions as well as setting up a members area. This way I can charge for premium content as well as downloadable courses. The latter I will, in fact move, in due course to a dedicated online learning site, also using WordPress and course management software.

This requires additional investment in reliable tools that play well together, but I use **removed, not enough posts to recommend products** (not an affiliate link) which provides all I need for amongst other things:

· e-commerce
    · newsletters and/or mailing list integration (esp MailChimp, very easy to use)
    · membership
    · social media integration/comments
    · marketing
    · Google analytics
and a long etc.

In your case, a way of expanding your site might be to build an online community around your niche, though you may be perfectly happy with the comments plugin (and/or to use C2 contributions for reviews).

Really, unless you have the time and energy to invest in taking the site to another level in terms of design and functionality, the advantages of moving to WP may not outweigh the advantages of having a system with which you are familiar and presumably works reasonably well for you. Given you have a physical store, time may be an issue.

Hope that helps - any specific questions you have, do let me know!

Good luck!
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Promotion/affiliate links are not allowed; please read the guidelines. Also removed product recommendation as you don't have enough posts to do so.
#1393738 by PDUK from Holly Ridge
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm
Hi Arthur,

Many thanks for your valued comments which were balanced in my view and well thought out.

I've been mulling it over the weekend and I have come up with a solution which I'd love your view on, together with any other SBI'ers views.

I'm going to go ahead with what I know for now which is the SBI platform and try to get my site looking as good as it gets. In the meantime, I want to learn WP for SBI and when the time is ready I'll switch.

My question is can I switch my existing domain name from a SBI site to a SBI for WP site, without losing my domain name and are there are any other descrepancies that I should be aware of once I make the change?

I'd love a pointer for references in how to get started for WP in SBI.

Thanks in advance.

#1393758 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm
First, SBI! for WP is not WordPress, nor a hosted site, it is a plugin that works within WordPress.

Yes you can move your domain to any registrar and then point it to your WordPress site so it is the "primary" domain for what would then be your WordPress site.

SBI! for WP, as a plug in, has Brainstorm It!, your MKL, specific Tips & Monetization Article HQs, as well as access to these forums. No site, no pages. I just don't want you confused if you should make the move and not see what you think SBI! for WP would be.

All my best,

#1393763 by PDUK from Holly Ridge
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:06 pm
Hi Debs,

I am little confused about this to be honest with you.

Does SBI for WP have the same functionality as a standalone WP site?

I'd love a pointer for references in how to get started for WP in SBI.

Thanks in advance.
#1393829 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 pm
Does SBI for WP have the same functionality as a standalone WP site?

WP does not have keyword research tools, an MKL, or access to the HQs here at SiteSell. SBI! for WP does.

SBI! for WP does not have website building tools, modules/plugins, WordPress and SBI! do.

Hope that helps :)

#1393830 by PDUK from Holly Ridge
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm
Hi Debs,

Thanks for that. That's good that SBI has plugins too. You see I was looking for plugins such as Live Chat feature, and many other plugins that would fall nicely for an e-commerce site.

Can you send me the link for available Plugins for SBI and for the live chat feature, WhatsApp feature would be good too.

#1393842 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 pm
SBI! has modules; you will see them all listed within Site Central, they do not have "plugins" in the same way WP does. You can use Infin It! and outside hosting to connect various apps (like WordPress for instance) with your SBI! site. However any work you do "in" the app that is connected, is done @ the outside host in the Admin panel, not within SBI.