Everything the solopreneur could possibly want to know about BOTH basic newsletters and email marketing (ex., publishing frequency, strategies, tips and growing your list to PREsell and do some basic monetization) AND if/how/when to bridge to more advanced systems and turn this PREselling channel into a strong monetization model for solopreneurs. This Solo Build It! forum is "all things email marketing."

Moderator: Harvey from Woodbridge

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1366318 by Maria Ines from Oura
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:59 pm
Hi.

This morning I had 116 subscribers to my newsletter, and now as I popped over to Site Central, it shows me that I've had 25 people unsubscribing from my newsletter.

I find it a bit weird that 25 people decided all to unsubscribe at the same time, so does SBI do any sort of cleanup of our mailing lists?

I've sent 5 issues out of my newsletter, some have reached all the subscribers, others have some bounces, I don't know why. The last one I sent out was on Feb 15 and out of the 107 mails, 27 bounced. Could this cleanup be related to that?

I was wondering how we could clean our mailing lists of dead emails because we don't access to the ones that bounce, do we?

Any info into this would be welcome as I'll be sending out a new issue soon.

Thanks,
Maria
#1366320 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:14 pm
I usually get unsubscribes whenever I send out an email (once a month) but it's a smaller percentage each time. I guess I'm slowly whittling it down to the folks that actually want to hear from me. My advice? Don't sweat it. In fact, I sometimes even send out a 'special mailing' out of the usual once a month regimen, even to the point of saying, if you don't want to hear from me again, don't feel bad; unsubscribe.

Edited; bounces automatically get deleted by the system.
#1366326 by Maria Ines from Oura
Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:35 pm
Hi Jacki.

What I'm finding is a sudden burst of unsubscriptions 3 weeks after my last issue went out. If it were in the days right after I had sent the email, that would be normal and I would consider it ok, sad, but ok. This is just a bit weird.

So I was wondering if SBI does this sort of cleanups or not. Do you know of such a thing?

Thanks for the help.
Maria
#1366346 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:46 pm
They would never unsubscribe people without their knowledge, except in the case of dead email addresses (bounces). And even then, I think it takes a couple of times before they get deleted. I don't know why there would be a lag of three weeks between the time you sent out the email and their unsubscribing, except maybe the people thought they would get to it, then cleaned up their inbox and unsubscribed. On my sites, if they fill out the questionnaire as to why they unsubscribed, in most cases (if not all) they say that they've moved on to other interests, or they just get too many emails. So don't take it personally!
#1366406 by Maria Ines from Oura
Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am
They would never unsubscribe people without their knowledge, except in the case of dead email addresses (bounces). And even then, I think it takes a couple of times before they get deleted

This must be it, SBI must have cleaned up dead addresses. Because the number of unsubscribers is close to the number of bounces I've experienced in 3 of the 5 newsletters sent out.
If it's that I'm actually grateful. I was wondering how I could do it myself. A nice clean mailing list is much better: not only do you save on the number of emails you send, but you have a better idea of how big your real audience is.

So, I'm not taking this personally. Far from it. I just found it weird that 25% of subscribers decided all to unsubsbribe at exactly the same time. The same day, the same hour? Nope, not normal. It could only be a glitch or a cleanup of bouncing addresses.
Even though I'm a bit sad when someone unsubscribes, I'd much rather have a list of only emails from people who really want to keep receiving my newsletter.

So thanks for the insight and all the best to you.
Maria