You've made wishes, you've supported the wishes of others in the Wish List forum ... and now you get to see the wishes granted so far ... more to come!

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1337329 by David from California
Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 pm
I have a number of pages that deal with lists of beaches around the world.

I use the format of these lists over and over.

It would be really useful to copy, for example, a container that included a heading, subheading, colored border, text blocks, colored background, etc.

Without being able to copy an entire container, I have to go through and format each one of the items, sometimes 8 or more times on one page.

Even being able to copy and paste just one block would be a big step in the right direction.

Being able to copy a container with different blocks inside it would be "near-vana."
#1337361 by David from Gowanda
Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:07 pm
Hi David,

This sounds like a very useful facility, and I support your Wish.

Other programs, like the MS Word graphics tool, allow you to drag and drop elements in order to move them, but if the shift key is depressed at the same time the element is copied before being dragged and dropped, and it's the copy that's positioned at the new location.

There's already a facility to move blocks within BB2 by dragging and dropping, and this would be a useful and intuitive way to implement your Wish.

Regards,
#1343065 by Janet from Mcconnell Afb
Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:42 am
Admittedly, I haven't worked a lot in BB2, but can't you already do this with reusable blocks? I have several items in my right column (including headlines and dividers) that I grouped into a container, and then made the whole thing a reusable block. Is that what you're talking about? If so, you can already do it.

I'm assuming I'm missing something, or not understanding what you want, because I'm sure David is more familiar with BB2 and its capabilities than I am.

Janet
#1343072 by David from Gowanda
Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:08 am
Hi Janet,

I think that (other) David would like to be able to edit the copied-and-pasted block in its new location without affecting the original.

If you do this to a reusable block, all copies will be affected, throughout the site.

Hope this helps,
#1343157 by David from California
Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm
David from Gowanda wrote:Hi Janet,

I think that (other) David would like to be able to edit the copied-and-pasted block in its new location without affecting the original.

If you do this to a reusable block, all copies will be affected, throughout the site.

Hope this helps,

Yes, this is what I meant.

For example, I have a

Container which includes a
    H2 headline
    Text block
    Container
    Indented Grid
    Text block
    Photo
    H3 headline
    Text Block

I will use that same pattern 5 times on my new page.

Currently, I must go through selecting all those steps each time.

I would like to be able to copy the container, paste it 4 more times (then change the photo).

A simple copy and paste (standard in just about every program on the internet) would save about 28 steps.

As the other David explained, making this container a reusable block would mean that the content in each of the 5 blocks would be exactly the same, so that doesn't work.
#1343205 by Maria from Agness
Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:33 am
Hi David,
I support your wish but for now would this work?
Couldn't you clone the page, take out all the stuff specific to that page leaving the bits you need.
Container which includes a

H2 headline
Text block
Container
Indented Grid
Text block
Photo
H3 headline
Text Block

All of this could be left on the cloned page. You could either leave an image in place to be replaced by another or you could put a text box with instructions. I have 'Delete this and put image here' at various places so I remember where the image goes.
In the page info just put beaches template or something similar in all the boxes, save it as a draft. When you want to create a new beaches page find your template and clone it, don't edit it so it's still there for the next one.
You can now fill in all the areas with the info you need for that page, when you want to build it don't forget to uncheck the draft button so it goes live. The template will still be there for the next page and you won't have to build from scratch each time.
I have a few of these template pages for my tutorial pages and they make the process a lot quicker.

I hope that helps,
Maria

PS. Just remembered I wrote a step by step post on this here http://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=213117
#1343225 by David from Gowanda
Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:54 am
Hi Maria,

Your technique works well for copying content between pages, but doesn't help for copying content within a page, which is what David needs. :(

Regards,
#1343232 by Nick from Pitman
Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:11 pm
I agree with all of the above. I've often thought it would be useful to be able to copy blocks/containers. I've even (while on autopilot) selected, copied and pasted, only to find nothing happened!

I use the suggested work-round of having a re-usable block as a sort-of template, but as David (Alt-Art) pointed out, it isn't the same. So, Yes Please, it would be really useful!

Nick
#1344104 by Kjell from Sprova
Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:45 pm
Often I need to have an original copied to several pages.
A reusable block is not useful because when I change something in a copy, everything is changed. That way the reusable function is seldom useful.
For example, I would like to create a copy of a chart of colors, and then be able to copy it to different pages, and then make a small change in the different copies. It could be a grid with content or a container with content.

Is that not possible in BlockBuilder?
It would spare days of work.
#1344131 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:11 pm
Kjell from Sprova wrote:Is that not possible in BlockBuilder?
It would spare days of work.

No. it's not possible - at the moment.

The problem with this wish is that it's been made a few times before, but no-one ever knows what to call it. So it ends up being repeated in different forms, and then gets lost.

I suggest it should be called a "Snippet Block".

A Snippet is a piece of code that you want to save, and re-apply somewhere else. Most HTML editors have this feature. For example, CoffeCup, Dreamweaver, HTML Kit, NoteTab etc, . They have a Snippet Library that contains separate code snippets. When you want one on your page, you drag it in and the code appears on the page.

In BlockBuilders case, it would work like this.

You would have a new Container, called a Snippet Block.

You drag this onto the page. Then you put whatever you like into it, say all the code for a PhotoGallery, surround by a special Callout box, followed by a couple of Responsive Grid Blocks, and some raw html blocks you use for an Amazon product layout, H1 H2 H3 headings for David ... etc etc.

You then click the top of the Snippet Block and save this block to the Snippet Library.

Whenever you want to add that block layout to a new page, you drag it onto the page from the Library, and the block layout is there. Or drag it to a different location on the same page.

The difference compared to a reuseable block is that if you want to change the code inside the Snippet Block, say swap out the pictures for something else, it DOESN'T CHANGE the contents of the Snippet Block in the Library, or on all the other pages where you've used it. You could get the standard Save and Save As options, like with a normal document.

It should be fairly easy to implement. All the structure currently exists in the Reusable Library. You'd need to duplicate it, then get rid of the function that links the blocks across all the pages of the site, and then you'll have a Snippet Block.

This would be really handy :) I can see lots of uses for this.

Will
#1344301 by Janet from Mcconnell Afb
Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:51 am
Ah, I see now. Thanks, David. Apparently, I didn't understand what (the other) David was asking. Sorry! :oops:

Janet
#1359809 by Antoinette from Bedford
Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am
mario from Jack wrote:My wish has also been granted!

That's always the best post for me to see :D

All the best,
Antoinette