Discuss 80-20 strategies for building quality, free traffic. Share your best "keep it real" traffic-building ideas, thoughts, strategies. Google changes, SE best practices, outbound links, etc. are all topics we discuss here. Search traffic will always be one of the bedrocks of site traffic - join these rousing solopreneur discussions! Or ask whatever may be puzzling you!

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1385395 by Susan from Ash Flat
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 pm
I have 'new' a site that's about 18 months old or so, and I don't want to continue in the direction I was going with it. I set up about 20 pages and then life got in the way so they've just sat there, until now. My first thought was to just close it down, but the content on it could be used on one of my other, established, sites quite easily - with minimal changes.

It's strong and relevant and I don't want to lose the effort put into those pages (which are pretty long, as mine all tend to be :roll: ).

So, my question is... how do I avoid an issue with duplicate content if I want to 'move' the page contents? Is it possible? Thanks!
#1385401 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:29 pm
Susan from Ash Flat wrote:how do I avoid an issue with duplicate content if I want to 'move' the page contents?
If you move the content, then it's not going to be duplicate. I suggest if you're going to do this to use the 301 tool, at least for a little while, before closing the site down. Don't make the mistake of just copying all the content, then not putting it on the other site though. If someone has copied it, it might look like you're doing the plagiarizing. Check with copyscape or other website first.
#1385415 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 am
Susan from Ash Flat wrote:Can you give me the Idiot's Guide directions for doing this Jacki? Sorry :?
I don't know if there is one. You may have to be the guinea pig for this one, as I haven't tried it, and have nowhere to test it. This help file mentions how to do it from another site; http://help.sitesell.com/301-library.html

or type/paste the full URL (including http://www.) of the page on another site,
#1386333 by Kathryn from Blackwater
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:41 am
I'm facing a similar issue, where I have a well established website with diverse content, and I just launched a new website to specialize in one of those branches of content. I have been mulling whether to write all-new content for the new website, or simply to copy over pages from the old one (complete with pictures). I just read through the 301 redirect instructions provided above, and that doesn't seem to apply since I'm going from one URL to a completely different URL.

My question is this: will I be penalized by Google and the other search engines if I take down the pages from the one site, and put them back up verbatim on the new site? Or, should I leave the old pages, strip them of their content, put up a manual redirect to the new URL, and the use the existing content on the new website? I'm already getting traffic on the new site and certainly don't want to be penalized so early in the game. I also would rather not completely reinvent the wheel. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
#1386355 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:54 pm
You can 301 from one site to another. This is how you should move content. Remove from page on old site, do the 301 over to the new page on the new site, immediately add the content to the page on the new site.

You can put up a new page on the new site with the content, but set to noindex until after you've done the 301 redirect on the old site. However, then you need to go back to the new page, new site and take off the noindex. An extra step but if these are long pages that take time to build, it might be the best option.

Debs
#1386362 by Kathryn from Blackwater
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm
Thanks Deb. I've been copying the content over and setting up the new pages but so far they're all listed as draft copies; nothing has gone live yet. I'll go back and review the 301 instructions again and see how to do the old site/new site redirect. It seemed yesterday that the instructions focused on moving pages within a single site but maybe I missed something. i'm glad I'llI have that option. Much better than trying to do everything manually.

And thanks for the suggestion about the noindex. With all the other details I'm trying to juggle right now between the two sites, I had forgotten that one. :) Glad to be getting the new site underway though. I think my traffic will go up on those keyword pages significantly now that I have a site which focuses just on that topic.
#1386364 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm
Google used to have a 'remove page from index' option where you could give them the URL and they removed that page. However a 301 redirect will allow the flow of link juice from the old to the new which can help it get better rankings than if you just moved w/o the 301, at least that's the theory ;)

All my best,

Debs