Discuss 80-20 strategies for building quality, free traffic. Share your best "keep it real" traffic-building ideas, thoughts, strategies. Google changes, SE best practices, outbound links, etc. are all topics we discuss here. Search traffic will always be one of the bedrocks of site traffic - join these rousing solopreneur discussions! Or ask whatever may be puzzling you!

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1391659 by Will from Los Ojos
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 am

This is just a heads up about a forthcoming Google algorithm change. It's called "The Speed Update" and affects mobile search. If you're like most sites I've seen, 2/3rds of your traffic is now mobile. I'm not sure if this change is good news or bad news, but as my grandmother used to say - it is what it is :)

You can read the original announcement here.

People want to be able to find answers to their questions as fast as possible — studies show that people really care about the speed of a page. Although speed has been used in ranking for some time, that signal was focused on desktop searches. Today we’re announcing that starting in July 2018, page speed will be a ranking factor for mobile searches.

The “Speed Update,” as we’re calling it, will only affect pages that deliver the slowest experience to users and will only affect a small percentage of queries. It applies the same standard to all pages, regardless of the technology used to build the page. The intent of the search query is still a very strong signal, so a slow page may still rank highly if it has great, relevant content.

This is flagged up in advance, rather like the recent HTTPS browser issue, which makes a nice change.

Google have also provided a nicely designed mobile testing tool here.

The important page in the results is the second page which gives you a bar graded from Excellent down to Poor.

Put your URL into the box, and then compare it with some other SBI sites, so you know where you are within the overall SBI landscape.

Here's a screen shot of Wendy Buckingham's site [Domain Private]/

You'll get the best idea if you also look at other SBI sites. You can put the [Domain Private] URL into the box, or any of the other sites you see in the forums threads.

The test results are shown on 3 pages, but you must click the button at the bottom right to move from page to page. It's easy to miss the button, but Page 2 shows you where you rank relative to your niche.

You can see Wendy's is marked Good and comes out in the top performers. Hooray!

PS Don't bother with giving them your email for the free report. It's just a repeat of the PageSpeed Insights stuff, about minifying html, removing render blocking JS etc. Which you can get by going straight to this URL.
#1391732 by Sue from UK
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:22 am
Well I managed to reduce the load speed of my smaller site by removing the js automatic copyright updater (I think I can remember to do that once a year!). As for the rest e.g. CSS minimiser - it may as well be written in Chinese! I can't get below 5s load time. I don't know how much is possible to change in BB2 anyway?
#1391735 by Sue from UK
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:04 am
It's gone up to 6s or 7s again now and I haven't done anything different since the previous check! I haven't got GA or Adsense on this site and all the images were optimised so I don't know what else I can do, if anything?
As for the larger site... I can't even go there.

If there could be (at some point) a simple step by step optimisation article for BB2 users that would be good. Not going to stress about it now.
#1391758 by Mary from Mico
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:24 pm
Hi Sue.

I found the same thing last night and gave up.

I removed the date updater for someone else's site and the numbers improved to 4, yet on a whim, I tried it again and it was back to 7 or 8. (!?!)

Then I tried for one of my sites and I would have had to send them my email. Since it is not a google .com site, I am not going to putz with it.

Good idea to ask for a step by step optimization instruction. Hopefully any CSS stuff is in Sitesell terrain and using JPGmini and TINYpng is enough for the images.

#1392334 by Don from Tsiigehtchic
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 am
Thanks for the heads-up, Will.

Being curious, I tested my two BB2 Mobilize-It sites for mobile speed, and they are both consistent with a 3-second loading time despite Facebook's likes and comments.

These results put them in the right ballpark for similar SBI sites I've tested and better than competing commercial sites. Whew!

#1392335 by Don from Tsiigehtchic
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am
[quote="Tobias & Stephanie from [Domain Private]"]I tested our site and it came up with 14s.
A black cookie opt-in bar displays at the top of all your site pages yet I'm accessing your site from Canada. Maybe you could shave off a second or two of loading time by installing SBI's "EU Cookie Widget" so an opt-in only appears to visitors in the UK/EU. It might turn out to have little or nothing to do with the mobile site loading time, but it might be worth trying, and it would be better for non-UK/EU visitors. Hope it helps.

#1392500 by Elyssa from Rome
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 pm
I too have tested my site, twice with different results even if I didn't change anything.

When I click their link that takes me to a page about optimizing load speed, and image size, my eyes glaze over and I soon just give up and do something else.

I have no idea how to fix my site speed, so I agree, anything SBI could do to enlighten us would be fabulous! Anyone else in the same boat as me??
#1392508 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Elyssa, some of their recommendations are things you have no control over, and seem to be things like the images on social media - like the icons. So if they are showing as too big, just ignore it. The only thing I found that I could do something about was my little image for the click to top function, but everything else was out of my hands. Did you look at the list of things they recommend you fix?
#1394463 by Bill from Talos IV
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Hey Rich,

I found that the pagespeed checker doesn't work when I have my adblocker enabled for that page. I use Firefox AdBlock Plus. When I turn off the adblocker, the pagespeed checker works. That might be your problem.

Richard from Smallwood wrote:So does this Page Speed checker no longer work?

I entered my websites address and even tried Wendy's website url and when I clicked the arrow button nothing happened.

Am I loading the address wrong when I enter it in it's entirety?