What knowledge, expertise, passion, hobby, or interest do you have? Which is best for your Site Concept? How do you position it to be "uniquely you"? Is your Niche too broad or too narrow? Too broad will stretch a solopreneur's available time beyond its limits. Too narrow may limit income potential. Get help to find the right niche for you!

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1387652 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:25 pm
My all-too-evident everyday passions are a fascination with cool-looking things (think photos, cakes as art, books as art, and extrapolate from there), reading human interest stories (people persevering, setting good examples, practicing the golden rule, etc.), and reading articles about new technology.

I was hoping to capitalize on the time I’m already spending on these fascinations by making them my online business, but I’m really stuck for ideas.

A little bit about me…

I am the inquisitive sort. My fascination is a lot about the wow-factor of things.

At this stage of my life, i.e., newly retired, I just don’t become head-over-heels passionate about much and I’m not into material things.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vesna
#1387653 by Maria from Agness
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 pm
Hi Vesna,

These are just ideas of the top of my head, I've no idea whether they would work for you or even if they are viable business ideas but thought I'd help get the ball rolling.

Gift ideas - where you research and find gift ideas and put the best ones on your site. Gift ideas is a huge niche of course so you might want to narrow it down a bit. Putting gift ideas in brainstormer might give you some ideas. You could probably monetize this by contacting art and crafts people to see if they want to buy a page on your site to showcase their work. Or you could just find companies that already have affiliate programmes in place.

Good news site - where you find good news stories and collate them on your site, not sure how you'd monetize it though. You may also need to contact those involved in the stories if possible to be able to stand out from all the other news site and get original content. So perhaps not a good idea unless investigative jourmalism appeals to you.

A site about new technology in easy to understand bite-sized chunks that leep people informed in a way that's easy to understand. You may be able to monetize with affiliate links. The only thing with this is that new technology quickly becomes old technology so you will have to keep the site updated regularly as things change.

That's all I can think of for now off the top of my head. You say that you don't become passionate about things now but is there anything other than what you mentioned that you are already passionate about.

Here's another way of looking at this process that may help you decide which direction you want to go. I'm guessing you want to make money from your site which means starting a business rather than a site.
If you were to start a brick and mortar business rather than a web based business what would you choose?
What do your friends and family come to you for help with?
What can you talk about for hours on end without getting bored if only you had someone to listen?

You don't have to answer these questions here if you don't want to. The answers may give you more of an idea of what sort of direction you want to go in.

It's not much but I hope it helps and gives you something to think about.
Maria
#1387665 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:53 am
In reading your post one thing stood out to me:

wow-factor

I saw that and thought, what a great name for a website: "Wow Factor.com" I don't know if it's available, but if it is, you should jump on wow-factor.com.

You could base your whole site concept on "Everything that makes me go WOW!" Thus calling it Wow Factor.com, and thus allowing you to showcase everything that you like.

A sort of brick-or-brack boutique store, little bit of this, little bit of that, keep coming back every day because you never know what I'll showcase next... sort of site.

I could see you being able to monetize it with eBay affiliate program, and showcasing different "Oh wow look at this!" items you find on eBay.

Same for Amazon affiliate program... the: "OMG! look what I found on Amazon today, don't you just love it!"

The niche would thus revolve around everything you like, and be kind of a bloggy, social network type site, that I think would do well on Pinterest, where you could be daily posting: "Look at this awesome thing I found today!"

Doing it like that you'd have the freedom to add pretty much everything to your site. It'd be like those flea markets you go to in the summer, where you never know what you are going to find, but you know you'll always find something new and different and amazing every time you go, that's why you keep going back. (I love flea markets, I buy most everything at them, for just that reason. It has a scavenger hunt feeling to shopping at flea markets.)

The Wow look at what I found today, wouldn't just be limited to art and cakes and books, but also any interesting stories you found. You could add daily quotes section to post on Twitter, and have a section of weekly: "Wow look at what technology did this week!"

The niche connecting the whole thing being the "wow factor" of each new item/page you add.

That'd actually be quite a fun site to build, I would think.
#1387729 by JAMES from Lavinia
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:20 am
Hi Vesna, I'm new at this too. But Wendy ^^^ is not... and it sounds like she just spun you some golden yarn. I agree with her, you keep it sharp and smart looking, you'll be able to along with a very conversational tone, can expand to youtube - think "unboxing videos", reviews, decorating/style tricks.

Sounds pretty awesome.
#1387734 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 am
Hello, All!

Thanks for all the fantastic input. In the back of my mind, I was aiming in the direction of a wow-factor website, but just didn’t have enough of your good ideas to make it feasible. The more I think about the wow-factor concept, the more excited I’m getting. This would just be a blast of a website and a very interesting business to build.

I am all about sharing info.

I would also like to make some money doing this.

SBI! business-related questions…

FYI: I’m only on Day 2 of the Action Guide.

The site concept is the [Vesna] wow factor and the future name of my website. That wouldn’t work as a seed word. No one would ever really Google “wow factor” to find what I’d offer. If you Google, you get names of companies with wow factor in them. If you Google “wow factor examples”, you get tips on how to provide service that makes your customers say “Wow.”

I can give an explicit rating on each page that is preceded by the words “Wow Factor:” to tie the pages to my site concept—see the next section. I believe the importance of each page, however, would be the other keywords I would need to use on each page that would tie directly to a potential visitor’s Google search(es). Am I correct?

I guess what I’m asking is…

How would I tie all this into the various Action Guide steps?

How can I use Brainstorm It! to find supply, demand, and profitability, etc.? What seed words would I use?

How will a potential visitor ever find my website?

Am I correct that the importance of my business will depend greatly on (1) the strength/keywords of my individual pages and (2) me/my business/my website developing a following?

Am I circumventing the power of the seed words?

Am I dooming my own efforts?

Ideas—me thinking out loud about the info I’d put on my website + monetization…

The variety both of you recommended, i.e., gifts, good news, and technology, suit me and would definitely help keep me interested and busy. Presenting it as what wows me would pull it all together. The key would be to always tie back to an explicit “Vesna wow-factor” rating of some kind on each page. That factor could be inspiration, beauty, coolness, uniqueness, interesting spin, interesting combination of functionality, or fulfilling an unaddressed need, etc.

The gifts would be store-bought as well as (finished) craft items with affiliate links for purchasing. The latter would lend itself to extra content for DIYers—instructions and/or videos, affiliate links to classes and supplies, a place for visitors to share photos of their creations, and ad sales. I’ll have to keep YouTube in mind for live reviews and “unboxing/unveiling” videos. I was thinking of offering an add-on finder service to locate special items for folks. That could be free (if it would benefit my business), for a flat fee, or a by the hour charge.

If a good news story is inspirational or motivational, I could monetize with affiliate links to buy posters or other items with quotes. I could also include other stories just because they are feel good. Those would be freebies.

My original thoughts on new technology were to include stories about up-and-coming or in-progress research, which means related products are a long way from being available. I could add in those stories as freebies. My concentration would need to be on new(er) products with interesting technology that I could monetize through affiliate link purchases. I already have a fitness tracker and some exercise equipment in mind that I would feature, not to mention an exercise program I’ve been using.

As for any other passions, I loved being a software engineer. If I had to choose a new career, I’d be a professional organizer. These brick-and-mortar lines of work are a big commitment and I want to enjoy myself during retirement without 9-to-5 kind of stress. Other than that, I’m interested in a number of different crafts, but am an expert in none and haven’t found one yet that I can really call my own.

Both of our families are out of state and friends barely have time for anything other than their own families these days. I usually don’t have anyone coming to me for help, but it seems that I’m always talking with someone who could use info I’ve already researched for myself or needs info that I’d be willing to find for them. One example is the exercise program I mentioned above. What I shared with my friend, I could probably put into an eBook. Having a website where I post such info and my other wow-factor finds would replace the e-mailing I do, or wish I had time to do, to my family and friends. I’d still have the fun of researching and help others by sharing my findings.

I like the idea of adding a little bit of suspense by advertising “you never know what I'll showcase next.” I can also see myself scouring eBay and Amazon on a regular basis for a “Look what I found today!” highlight and blogging about it. I could do the same for technology. By not being narrow, my husband can also contribute reviews on things of interest to guys. This can be something we can work on together to some degree when he retires in a few years.

I do want to get more into writing and blogging. I think I have a knack for it. A conversational tone suits me just fine. I might have to suppress the software engineer in me, however.

I definitely want to add some pages where people can post their own wow-factor finds and their own creations—that social network thing. I haven’t done much with Pinterest and nothing with Twitter, so I’ve got some catch-up to do.

Time to sign off for the evening.

Looking forward to your replies.

Vesna
#1387869 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 am
Hello, All!

I am the inquisitive sort. My everyday passions are a fascination with cool-looking things (think gifts such as photos, book art, and extrapolate from there + celebratory items such as artsy cakes), human interest stories (good news about people persevering, setting good examples, practicing the golden rule, etc.), and articles about new technology (think new products and apps). My fascination is a lot about the wow-factor of things. That factor could be inspiration/motivation, beauty, coolness, uniqueness, interesting spin, interesting combination of functionality, or fulfilling an unaddressed need, etc.

I put a post about this in the Finding Your Niche forum. I got confirmation that a website touting things that wow me, written in a blog-type format, with opportunities for visitors to share, social media support, and various kinds of monetization, etc., is a great idea.

This niche fits me. It mirrors me and my life to a T. I would want to bill it as a wow-factor website.

FYI: I’m only on Day 2 of the Action Guide.

My thoughts in regards to Day 2+…

The site concept would really be the [Vesna] wow factor and, most likely, the future name of my website. That wouldn’t work as a seed word, however. No one would ever really Google “wow factor” to find what I’d offer. If you Google it, you get names of companies with wow factor in them. If you Google “wow factor examples”, you get tips on how to provide service that makes your customers say “Wow.”

I can give an explicit rating on each page that is preceded by the words “Wow Factor:” to tie it to my site concept/website name. I believe the importance of each page, however, would be the keywords I’d need to embed on each page that would tie directly to a potential visitor’s Google search(es). Until I gain a following and people start Googling “wow factor” itself, this sounds like the only way a potential visitor will ever find my website. Right?

SBI! business building process-related questions…

How would I tie all this into the various Action Guide steps for evaluating a concept idea and its related keywords?

How can I use Brainstorm It! to find supply, demand, and profitability, etc.?

Am I correct that the importance of my business will depend greatly on (1) the strength and keywords of my individual pages and (2) me/my business/my website developing a following?

Am I circumventing the power and guidance of the Action Guide? I feel like I would be going rogue.

Your help is requested!

Vesna
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged duplicate threads as duplicates by the same poster are best kept to one thread.
#1387870 by Mary from Mico
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 am

Hi Vesna,

I'm so glad you've written!

I got confirmation that a website touting things that wow me, written in a blog-type format, with opportunities for visitors to share, social media support, and various kinds of monetization, etc., is a great idea.

Can you give us a link to that confirmation? I think you might want to beware that you want to build your website toward what your visitors would want.

A really good idea is to take some time to watch the whole Action Guide (AG) and take notes, then "do" the Action Guide in steps. Some steps can be just a minute or so on the AG, yet take an hour to a week to finish. This will give you a glimpse of what's ahead.

You've bought a real treasure in the AG. You'll be so glad when you actually follow the steps.

Mary
#1387871 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 am
Mary,

Here's the link to my Finding Your Niche topic: https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224468&p=1387734#p1387734 There are 6 posts total.

The visitors' interests would tie to what I write about on my respective pages, which I would tie back to my "wow factor" concept. The "wow factor" concept would tie back to my online persona and interest areas.

I didn't map out everything in the post, but I did try to include some ways I would definitely have visitors share of themselves on the website.

Will be looking for your reply.

Vesna
#1387877 by Mary from Mico
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:11 am
Hi Vesna,

In the future, you'll probably want to stay in the same thread with those who have already answered you. That way you can all keep track of your train of thought.

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224468&p=1387734#p1387653

You'll still need to use the brainstormer to figure what your visitors' interests are.

Think through how you'd actually use Wendy's advice, especially for the domain WowFactor. If there are good numbers for that to be a site concept, you'll need to learn what the search intent is. Are they wanting to add a Wow Factor to their own products, writing, art, music, store or display? Would each of those be entirely separate site concepts?

Add the Wow Factor to your writing....

Add some Wow Factor to your display....

Also, if there are good site concept numbers for the phrase Wow Factor, double check that this is not already someone else's name brand.

Remember to keep the focus on your visitors. Brainstormer and the MKL can show you a very good idea of what actually interests visitors.

There's a lot that's new in the AG, so take some time to absorb and research what it offers.

I hope this helps.

Mary
#1387915 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:19 pm
Mary,

I finally figured out that you moved this Topic to the Finding Your Niche forum. That was unclear from your reply.

I am all for keeping threads intact to have everything in one place for easy reference. I did post the same questions in my Need Human Brainstorming for My Everyday Passions topic--see my Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm reply below. After waiting 2 days and not getting any replies, I thought that perhaps I was supposed to pose them in the Working With Your Master Keyword List forum instead. That seemed to be a more logical fit.

I'm definitely not trying to circumvent BI!. I agree that I need to use it and fulfill my visitors' needs!

At this point in life, I do know myself, what drives me, and how I operate. In my heart, I know the most personally satisfying SBI! business would revolve around sharing wow factor examples with short descriptions categorizing the appeal to me. I'm not an expert in product design, literature, art, music, or store/display design and don't know if I can adequately apply myself in any of those areas to do justice to my future business.

Only time, and more BI! sessions, will tell.

Thanks for your experienced guidance.

Keep you posted!

Vesna
#1387921 by Katia, Anastasi, Apostoli from We Love Crete
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 am
Hi Vesna,

I am not sure what you mean by 'wow factor'. It really means nothing to me. I know that there has been a lot of support for this idea up above in this thread but I wanted to say out loud - well - maybe it is not the answer? :wink:

I wanted to say that it is really important to choose something that you are passionate about, not just a small interest, as you are going to have to sit with this business for a long time. From experience, I am really glad that I chose to follow up with my passion for travel, because I am here 10 years later still writing about travel and not getting bored with it, in fact getting deeper and better and better at it, for my business and for my visitors.

At the same time, the second point I wanted to make is that it is not all about you. Someone said up above, it is actually about what your visitors and potential customers/clients want and need. So perhaps whilst going through this process, spend some time in their shoes and seeing it from your customer's point of view? :?:

Happy building :)

Katia
#1387929 by Mary from Mico
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 am
Hi Vesna,

I'm glad Debs moved the threads together and glad you'll be using the Action Guide and Brainstormer. They're wonderful tools!

Katia has some wonderful notes above that I would like to second. It's nice to have something concrete, and BrainstormIt will be a huge help to finding a concrete site concept that interests surfers.

It's kind of like a treasure hunt. Happy hunting!

Mary
#1387939 by Vesna from the Twin Cities
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 am
FYI,

I just wanted to say that my intent has always been to use all of SBI and not skip any part of the process. I’m just having a little trouble getting onto the same pages as everyone else.

For Katia, a little about me and what I summarized as the “wow factor”—from my 10/6 post:

I am the inquisitive sort. My everyday passions are a fascination with cool-looking things (think gifts such as photos, book art, and extrapolate from there + celebratory items such as artsy cakes), human interest stories (good news about people persevering, setting good examples, practicing the golden rule, etc.), and articles about new technology (think new products and apps). My fascination is a lot about the wow-factor of things. That factor could be inspiration/motivation, beauty, coolness, uniqueness, interesting spin, interesting combination of functionality, or fulfilling an unaddressed need, etc.

Katia, please, let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas.

Wrap-up comments:

Yes, I do realize that it can’t be all about me. What I was trying to say is that it really starts with me. Think about it this way. If I can’t come up with a concrete concept that might work for me that I’m also passionate about, then I have nothing to move forward with. This is where I’m currently stuck.

With a Vesna-feasible concept, then I have something I can evaluate with BI. If the concept only works for me, but not my potential visitors/customers/clients, then it’s back to the site concept drawing board. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I spent 36 years as a software engineer unceasingly striving to produce applications that satisfied my customers’ needs. There’s no reason why I won’t do the same in my future online business. That is just how I am wired inside my heart.

Vesna
#1387940 by Mary from Mico
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 am

Hi Vesna.

You've sure got the right spirit!

I spent 36 years as a software engineer unceasingly striving to produce applications that satisfied my customers’ needs. There’s no reason why I won’t do the same in my future online business. That is just how I am wired inside my heart.

And BAM to boot!

Mary