Quality inbound links start the traffic snowball rolling and growing in momentum. Start at the Link-Building section of DAY 7 of the Action Guide, and then read the "Make Your Links Work!" e-book. Proceed to the "Building a Links Program" section of the TNT HQ. This is the place to discuss "keep it real" links. NO manipulation of Google, please. Let it grow!

Moderator: Wendy from Toronto

#1363703 by Jill from Westbury
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 pm
Earlier this week, I found out that CNN Travel used one of my pages as a resource for an article. They didn't mention my site, but instead used one of my pages as a reference for one of the sections for their article. They then added a link back to my site in that section.

This time of year, this page gets about 250 to 300 visits a day. It's a solid page, but usually get average traffic compared to others on my site. Since this article ran though, traffic has increased quite a bit.

On Thursday, this page received 3,500 visits. Yesterday, it received almost 6,000 visits. Today this page is at about 3,500 visits already (it's only noon here). These visits are all from Google with a small handful from the original CNN Travel article.

Now, this page is about 5 years old. I update it each year as it's for a large upcoming event. The page has a lot of inbound links, but has never received this many visits this far out from the event.

It's a fun example of how great content can lead to high quality links which eventually turn into traffic.

Jill
#1363720 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:01 am
I've had a couple of pages that get a link in, but they're more like a hugely trafficked site that just scrapes something, almost in its entirety, and then puts a little tiny link to the site. Usually, if I find these, I make the page absolutely fabulous, with some unique stuff on it.
#1363735 by Jill from Westbury
Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:58 pm
Sorry, I was tired when I wrote that message. I was thinking that it would be great to get a link like this on a page that wasn't seasonal. I just reread my message to you and can see how it didn't make sense! :lol:

Hope you are well!
Jill
#1365212 by Sarah from The Land of the Long White Cloud
Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:10 pm
Wow that's an amazing result Jill! And interesting how most of the increase in traffic is coming from Google, rather than the CNN article.

I hate link building, but see I will have to make some time for it.
#1365232 by Jill from Westbury
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm
Thanks Sarah. I didn't do anything to get the link except work on my site. I didn't request it or speak with them ahead of time. I was surprised and excited to see it. I get a report each day that shows me new links into my site and this is where I found it.

I wouldn't recommend spending time to build links as much as I'd recommend just providing great quality content and using social media + marketing to get your name out there.

Jill

P.S. Love Montenegro. I spent some time there is 2011 and hope I get the chance to visit again. Your site would be a great resource!
#1365257 by Sarah from The Land of the Long White Cloud
Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 am
Hi Jill,

Yes when I first came across your site I realised you didn't actively do link building. I gave it a shot at one point, because everyone is going on about link building, but with minimal success. Now, I'd like to do some guest posting, which I guess would come under marketing and focus on social media more. What do you use to get a report of new links?

Hehe, my parents went to San Fran last year and I sent them your site saying 'Everything you need to know is here!' They loved it, although they were surprised wasn't warmer :lol:
#1365276 by Jill from Westbury
Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:05 pm
Thank you so much for sending them my site! Yes, the weather here is very different. I just added weather pages by month so people know what to expect when they arrive.

I use Mention (https://mention.com/). I have a free account and it sends me an email daily with new links into my site.

Hope that helps!
Jill
#1365568 by Sarah from The Land of the Long White Cloud
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 pm
Thanks for that Jill!

Next time you come over to Montenegro - or even New Zealand! - you'll have to get in touch so I can take you out!