Quality inbound links start the traffic snowball rolling and growing in momentum. Start at the Link-Building section of DAY 7 of the Action Guide, and then read the "Make Your Links Work!" e-book. Proceed to the "Building a Links Program" section of the TNT HQ. This is the place to discuss "keep it real" links. NO manipulation of Google, please. Let it grow!

Moderator: Wendy from Toronto

#1387852 by Morgen from White Pine
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:48 pm
I just got an inquiry from a clearinghouse that wants to set up "curated links" in existing content on the web back to my site.

It smacks of paid placement, since they charge for the service. BUT, if we can't "guest post" anymore, since that's seen as bad form, how does this stack up?

And is it legit?
#1387855 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm
Hmm. Not sure what that means exactly. Are they paying you for a link or charging you to put a link to your site?
#1387880 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 am
They are charging you for something you can do your self... the software program they are doing this with is this: http://www.backlinkrhino.com/ (the video there at the top of the page, gives step by step details on what they do and how they do it)

You can do it without the software. The software just makes it easier.

What they do is use the software to search wikipedia for dead links to expired domains, then buy the domain, create a new page for that link, then look for someone with an on topic website (in this case, you) and try to sell the link to your site from their site that wikipedia is linking to (Usually for about $50 for the 1 link).

The end result is, they own a website that is linked to by wikipedia, and they are offering to link to your site from it.

Getting a link direct from wikipedia, will increase traffic to your site, by quite a lot and so the link itself is not a problem. The problem is once you buy the link, they will start hounding you into paying HUGE amounts of money later on.

Technically I don't think it's against Google's tos, because you actually are getting a legitimate link, However, this is generally seen a scam, and is known as "the wikipedia link hijack scam" or just "wiki hijacking".

The danger is the fact that after they get a bunch of sites like yours to agree to buy link placement... then they flip the site... meaning they sell it to someone else, and often the new owner just wants the domain name and not the site, meaning the link back to your site will likely be deleted within 6 months of your buying the link.

The only way to guarantee that your link stays on the site, is to buy it from them yourself, and that's the big money making part of this scam... they will in about 6 months contact you again with a boo-hoo sob story of how their grandpappy was killed in Nigeria and now they have to go back home to collect the body and have a funeral, so they are strapped for cash, and by the way would you consider buying the site that they are linking to your site from. They only need $30,000 for the plane ticket and funeral, and with that link on the wiki page to their site, it must be worth at least a million, so selling it to you foe only $30k is a steal...

.... and then they'll add something about... oh by the way, if you don't cough up the $30k I'll delete your link off the domain, ha! ha! Nothing you can do about it.

Like I said, the method of linking is not the issue and it's pretty easy to buy the software and just do it yourself. (Though i would imagine sooner or later Google will catch on to this sort of linking and do something about it, so I'm not sure it'd be a good thing to get into doing.) The issue is the way they will try to later trick you into dishing out your life savings to buy the site from them under the threat of them removing the link if you don't pay them tons of money. That's the part of it that is a scam.

In short "Rhino links" are legit links to your site that usually don't cause issues with Google, but most people selling said style links are scam artists and will try to trick you into buying the site the link is on later. Bypassing them and building the "rhino link" on your own is better then buying a pre-built rhino-link from someone who is likely a scam artist.
#1388064 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 am

oh... I also wanted to comment on this... (intended to when I was here the other day but got sidetracked by family stuff and only just got back here now)

Morgen from White Pine wrote:BUT, if we can't "guest post" anymore, since that's seen as bad form,

Guest posting is bad form?

Who says you can't "guest post"?

Google?

That's NOT what they said.

Yes, I know. Last week Google made their infamous "do not guest post" announcement.

No, no, no, no, NO!

Google is NOT saying guest posting is not allowed or banned or bad or anything like that. That's not what Google said at all!

The whole "Google bans guest posting" cries being screamed all over the internet, is YET AGAIN, nothing but SEO "gurus" (scam artists) playing on people's emotions, trying to use fear mongering to convince unsuspecting web masters into a frenzy.

Fear mongering and instilling paranoia into webmasters is what SEO "guru"s do as a sales pitch to get you to buy some shady service they want to trick you into buying. Don't fall for it.

No. What Google was talking about, is not the average content writer or mommy blogger who makes a random guest post here or there. What Google was referring to was the mass scam of SEO "gurus" selling "paid placement services" style of guest posts.

In other words... the people who are buying spun content, and having tens of thousands of backlinks made to their sites, via "guest posts" on tens of thousands of "parked domains" that lead no where.

The average webmaster, doing the average guest posting, has nothing to worry about, because they are just making 1 monthly or weekly guest post. At most they are adding 52 links a year. That's not the issue at all and those types of guest posts are perfectly fine by Google.

No. Google is referencing the ones that are buying 1,000s of FAKE guest posts. Google is targeting sites that overnight suddenly have 20,000 guest posts linking to their site.

Legitimate guest posting is not a problem. It's the fake scam guest posting that Google was referencing.
If you are writing actual guest posts for actual sites, that's still okay. If you are buying thousands of fake guest posts just to get links to your site, that's what's going to get slapped by Google.
#1388066 by Stephen from Monroeville
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:48 am
Morgen from White Pine wrote:I just got an inquiry from a clearinghouse that wants to set up "curated links" in existing content on the web back to my site.

It smacks of paid placement, since they charge for the service. BUT, if we can't "guest post" anymore, since that's seen as bad form, how does this stack up?

And is it legit?

Never pay for any kind of link or do business with people like that , dodgy and google will not like it

You can still guest post but not for links , but to reach new audiences .. there’s a big difference ... how does google know the difference ? They can figure a lot of stuff out and know more than we think , that I’m sure , there business as the best search engine depends on knowing crazy details and patterns