Quality inbound links start the traffic snowball rolling and growing in momentum. Start at the Link-Building section of DAY 7 of the Action Guide, and then read the "Make Your Links Work!" e-book. Proceed to the "Building a Links Program" section of the TNT HQ. This is the place to discuss "keep it real" links. NO manipulation of Google, please. Let it grow!

Moderator: Wendy from Toronto

#1392017 by Victor from Belleoram
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm
Hi All

I went crazy building my SBI site the last couple months. I started out with an MLM plan but couldn't work up any enthusiasm for that type of marketing. It was in my area of natural health, but I just don't care for that type of marketing.

So, I rested for a few months and then realized I had to follow what I felt. So, then it was easy to start creating pages that meant something to me. Changed my domain, which SBI allows once and now I am on track and best of all, it feels right.

One thing that makes me scratch my head is the SBI sites that don't have links on them or any type of page listing for links or resources info.

I did the Value Exchange thing and of all the people I contacted, only one lady got back to me, except for one other guy who tried to sell me something. But that one link was worthwhile, and I think of it as one of the many little gold nuggets I am going to pick up along the way.

Maybe the people who don't have any links have enough spare time business from their sites that they are happy with that, or maybe they are sites that aren't being maintained well because the owners have lost interest.

I'm not sure, but everywhere you read about SEO, there are articles about links. I got my first mutual SBI link a few days ago. My site is so new that the SBIer I linked to must have good traffic because I noticed a boost to that page of my site and I am grateful she was willing to exchange links.

So, I am on a link hunt and I think SBIers should have reminders about the importance of this.

Not just link advice, but other important points from the 10 day plan.

Maybe the odd reminder will inspire SBIers who are kind of on the fence, to jump down on the right side and get moving.

I have looked at a lot of online business offers, including a lot of the get rich quick junk.

I have to say that there are a lot of so called opportunities out there and a few that are actually not too bad.

But I have not yet seen anything that comes close to SBI for the tools included to help build a good web business. I went through my get rich phase and helped some others get rich maybe. Definitely spent a lot but then common sense entered the picture.

I am determined to make enough money to retire from the JOB thing for good and I think I have the tools to do it over the next few months. Traffic is steadily increasing, so that is the best indicator that following a set by step plan will get anyone where they want to go.
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from Introduce Yourself to here.
#1392018 by Victor from Belleoram
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm
That was supposed to say "step by step plan" at the end of the post!!
#1392045 by Maria from Agness
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 am

Welcome back Victor :D

Victor from Belleoram wrote:One thing that makes me scratch my head is the SBI sites that don't have links on them or any type of page listing for links or resources info.

The main reason for this is probably because we are very aware of the penguin monster :lol:
Sorry, penguin is a google algo that penalizes sites for unnatural link building. Lots of SBI sites sharing links is probably unnatural so we tend to avoid it. Link parties and other link schemes are also no longer a good idea.
Let the links happen naturally and then you won't get any penguin bites.

All the best,
Maria
#1392093 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm
As Maria says, outright link building is frowned upon; and Ken has always recommended you get 1 or 2 and let it happen naturally after that. Instead, use Social Channels like Facebook Pinterest Twitter etc. ... Start with just one and do it VERY well and it will help create the traffic snowball, even faster than linking used to!

There are Social Action Guides (Pinterest is one that's done with more coming) you can follow. Google loves to see engagement on and about a site, so Social fits right in with that.

You will find Social as a better alternative in today's Internet. :) BUT you can't just do Social; you need to do it well!

All my best,

Debs
#1392145 by Victor from Belleoram
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm
I was referring to any kind of links - not just SBI.

Any good non SBI links would help them, but if their sites are a few years old,
I suppose it's sign that there isn't much interest.

:D
#1392147 by Maria from Agness
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm
Hi Victor,

As Debs and I both said link building can get your site penalized by google. Google prefers you to let the links build naturally rather than going looking for them.
If you are not worried about ranking in Google's search engine then it's fine but most of us like to play by google's rules as they are still the top SE.
Penguin was a really big deal to many people, SBI'ers and other webmasters. It was on the same scale as Panda, but where Panda dealt with quality content, Penguin was about links.
It caused a lot of sites to completely lose their ranking and traffic almost overnight. This is why most of us are extra cautious about building links and prefer to just let it happen naturally.

This post may help
Best Practices for Building a Site That Humans and Search Engines Love
http://sbitips.sitesell.com/best-practices.html

I hope that helps,
Maria
#1392163 by Victor from Belleoram
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:13 am
Thanks but if you wait for it to happen, what will happen?

I understand the guest post thing and trying to build relationships over time but that could take a long time to get any amount of links. So, assuming a good mix of different types of links, is there some sort of number that's good? 50, 100, 1000, etc?

Will some people just stumble on your site and link to it because they like it?

Is there a point where too many links just doesn't have any further effect on my site or a point where Google slaps me for too much of a good thing??
#1392193 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Google slaps, and slaps hard. Unnatural link profile is what it is known as.

As Ken says, get 1 or 2 really high quality inbound links, then do Social Channels (only 1 or 2) really really well.

It is your site, you can do as you want, but on these forums, the best advice is what you've gotten in this thread. Keep it real.

Debs
#1392201 by Maria from Agness
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:29 pm
Victor from Belleoram wrote:Will some people just stumble on your site and link to it because they like it?

This is exactly what should happen, if you follow the AG and Ken's advise that Debs mentioned in her post, you'll make sure people stumble across your site more and more often. A link to your site should be a vote of confidence, it should tell google that it's a great site and other sites want to link to it.

Victor from Belleoram wrote:I understand the guest post thing and trying to build relationships over time but that could take a long time to get any amount of links. So, assuming a good mix of different types of links, is there some sort of number that's good? 50, 100, 1000, etc?

Google would see this sort of link building as a 'link scheme' and they make it very clear they don't like it. If you do this sort of link building then not only will your own site be penalized and not appear in the rankings, it's likely the sites that link to you also use these techniques and will also be penalized. Which makes the links worthless if you need to rank with google to get your site seen.

The following is from google's quality guidelines -
Link schemes
Any links intended to manipulate PageRank or a site's ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme and a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. This includes any behavior that manipulates links to your site or outgoing links from your site.

The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results:

Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links; or sending someone a “free” product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link
Excessive link exchanges ("Link to me and I'll link to you") or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links
Using automated programs or services to create links to your site

I've highlighted in red the bit about linking to a site because they will link to you.

You can read the rest of the article here
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356

As I said before it's your site and you can do what you want, I'm not sure if you were building sites in 2012 when penguin was rolled out but it's effect was far reaching and caused a lot of damage.

It may seem strange but it is entirely possible to get links naturally, build your site following the AG. Start getting a following on one or two of the social media sites. Make sure your content is of the best quality and people will want to link to your site because they like it and not just because you'll link back to them.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I do hope that helps,
Maria
#1392220 by Victor from Belleoram
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:19 pm
No, that's OK, I wasn't thinking about the link farm thing, but I wasn't sure how many ways there was of getting good links either and I wasn't sure how many people would link voluntarily, without the word link being mentioned to them.

I will have to try social I guess but I've detested those social sites since day one because I've seen so many people I know waste a big part of their lives there, doing nothing constructive.

I think of them as gossip sites. :lol: