Quality inbound links start the traffic snowball rolling and growing in momentum. Start at the Link-Building section of DAY 7 of the Action Guide, and then read the "Make Your Links Work!" e-book. Proceed to the "Building a Links Program" section of the TNT HQ. This is the place to discuss "keep it real" links. NO manipulation of Google, please. Let it grow!

Moderator: Wendy from Toronto

#1386696 by James from Harpersville
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm
Our website traffic is down.That is normal for this time of year except it is worse than usual. My question is how often should we disavow links and send them to Google. We were under the assumption that Google was disavowing worthless or spam links now. It was no longer necessary for us to do so..However, we would certainly continue to refresh the disavow ourselves if we should. We do see some new spam links. What is the current thought on this? Is it better or worse to disavow again. We have sent the disavow tool to Google twice in the past.
#1386702 by Debs from SiteSell
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Also, if you find spammy links into your site over time, add those to your Disavow and reupload. Your site isn't stagnant, nor are links in. So updating is good. Give G time however to process your Disavow file before you might see a change.

Debs
#1395815 by James from Harpersville
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:48 am

:( Uggh! Bad move! Our traffic is down 30% compared to the same period last year since I uploaded the Disavow file!

Jim
#1395825 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm
The Disavow Tool does discount the bad inbound links. So if you were getting any points for them, yes, it would likely negatively impact your traffic. You want to be careful you don't disavow the good inbounds, you need those.

To recover, strong Social is needed, more content and freshen up the content you have.

I did not look for any underlying reasons other than what you posted as to why your traffic dropped. If traffic was dropping pre-upload, then you should look for other causes as well.

All my best,

Debs
#1395832 by James from Harpersville
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:37 pm
Thanks Debs.
Our traffic was up from the same time period as last year before I uploaded the disavow file.
I feel like I should have left well enough alone and not uploaded the file.I'm thinking of taking it(disavow file) down. Any thoughts on that?

Jim
#1395833 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:44 pm
You can't just delete the disavow, just replace it with another. I think you may need to leave it a while, and work on getting some better links, more social activity, etc.
#1395851 by James from Harpersville
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 pm
We have 8765 follows on our facebook page and over 2000 followers on our twitter page! I would think this isn't bad.
I am paranoid to look for links after we got hit so bad with Penguin.
Jim
#1395859 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm
James from Harpersville wrote:I am paranoid to look for links after we got hit so bad with Penguin.
Me too - I don't think you need to actively seek them out, just produce excellent resources for people to link to.