Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1364579 by Laura from Notre-dame-du-nord
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm
Hello,

I've been absent for a bit from too much work ... a good problem. I am hoping to spend more time on my site this year. When I look at all the newspaper sites, they often run an ad banner at the top of each page.

Has anybody tried this? Does it work? Will I run into trouble because a page isn't starting with usual headline first .... and absent keyword?
#1364600 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:32 pm
Laura, it would help if you show us what you mean about the newspaper sites ... Have a couple URLs?

First, Google wants mostly text above the fold; prefers ads below the fold. Desktop offers a bigger view, so it depends on what you have there.

The banner you describe should not be shown on mobile view however; you should offer a smaller alternate. However, it also depends on above the fold (first screen view), what is there, what shouldn't be. Google absolutely hates ads above the fold in mobile view.

Hope this helps.

Debs
#1364626 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 pm
Hi Laura,

There are some resources that would probably be useful to read. They're all written by Google.

1. Google Adsense Placement policies. This gives you examples of things you shouldn't do. The video at the top of this one is very good (and short :) )
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1346295

2. Google's page on "Best practices for ad placement" - tips about best practice.
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1282097?hl=en

Will
#1364641 by Laura from Notre-dame-du-nord
Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 am
Deb, I was looking at the Globe and Mail in Canada, The Star in Toronto, The Washington Post, Huffington Post, BBC News. Not their home pages but the article pages. I want to place a small banner like the one on this page in my site; I did it up as an example.

[Domain Private]

I'm just worried that the SBI analyzer likes the heading first but all these major sites put ads first. I appreciate it too as I get to read many of their articles for free this way rather than have a paid subscription to just one newspaper. I can support them through their advertising revenue.
#1364651 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 am
Laura, there would be an issue with your drop down nav covering the top ad. And yes, I know some big sites like Huff Post have the same, but Google does not apply the same rules to big websites as it does to us. :cry: They might say they do, but they dont, many small publishers have recieved warnings for that very thing. Also, note that with your drop down, it would be easy to accidentally click an ad below, but on the Huff Post almost impossible... Im sure that is one reason they can get away with it.

So yes, in general if a drop down covers adsense, you will probably get warned about it. Also, you do need to use responsive adsense so a mobile just shows a small banner up there, like the 320 x 100px one.

I have actually done this, put a banner at the top in the way you are talking of. Yes, it does increase the number of clicks. BUT it also reduced the price of them by a huge amount. I have gone from averaging 30c per click to about 5-10c, and the increase in the number is nowhere near enough to make up for that. I will probably be removing it soon, just giving it a fair trial of a few months first.

Cheers, AJ
#1364700 by Laura from Notre-dame-du-nord
Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm
Thanks AJ. I guess I'll move it down under the first paragraph and change the code to responsive as you suggested. Appreciate your feedback.
#1364702 by Laura from Notre-dame-du-nord
Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 pm
Will,

I glanced at the Google Adsense links. The "short" video is 42 minutes. I like my videos in the 5-10 minute mark mainly because I prefer to read than watch. Also, I usually don't understand a lot of the stuff Google talks about ... which is why I have an SBI subscription ... they keep the noise out and translate it into English for me as I do not excel at all at this technical stuff.

I will have to spend time reviewing SBI's latest articles and perusing this forum to do my catch up.

I do appreciate the references.
#1364761 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:33 pm
My apologies, Laura, that was the wrong video :(
The video I had in mind is a Google video that tells you about responsive ads. It's very short at 2 mins 59 sec and you can find it on this page.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answ ... ic=1307438

& the SBI TNT article about responsive ads is here
http://sbitips.sitesell.com/adsense-responsive-ads.html

The SBI article tells you about the right code to use, but, there are no SBI articles I know of that will tell you where to put the ads so as to comply with the Google policies.

The most common infringement on the forums at the moment is from site owners who push their unique content down below the fold, mainly by placing too large an ad above the mobile fold.
#1364812 by Kevin from Alpharetta
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:04 am
Will.

Thank you for posting these links. I've seen that video before, and only just realized that it does show putting banners above the header just like Laura has seen.

Sometimes it takes me a while. :roll:

Mary
#1364833 by Laura from Notre-dame-du-nord
Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm
Will, that was an excellent video. :0) I will be watching it more than once! Thank you.

Mary I agree it shows the banner ads above the headline. So it seems it is allowed but as AJ pointed out, I have dropdown menus so perhaps I could use the banner just for the mobile phone .

I have also noticed some sites are choosing to have all three ads on a page come from the same sponsor. Does anyone here use that? Does it do well or is it better to keep it 3 three completely different ads?