Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1348749 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:42 pm
Thanks Frank,

I found this part interesting;

Perhaps more importantly, media companies from newspapers to online magazines need
to admit once and for all that giving away content for free and hoping to make money off of
advertising is not a viable strategy. Getting creative with paywalls, subscriptions, and
micropayments are all better options than warring with customers over ad blocking.

We know its coming, well actually already started, so it should be fun to watch the progression.

As ad blocking becomes the norm, I see the general public also losing out with less
content/information if information websites can't diversify their income streams.

It is what it is so I'll just carry on.

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1367347 by Stephen from Monroeville
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:02 am
I think rather than putting content behind payment walls ... i think we have to find creative ways to discourange adblocking and monetize the adblocker ...

People want free content on the web ... so i think if one website goes premium ... then another website will popup to fill it's place
#1367837 by Peter from Kaohsiung
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 am
Popup and ad blockers have been around for a decade or two. It has started annoying users because greedy G and company put ever more advertisements on web sites, using trackers, etc. that annoy users. Even if it may not be good for publishers, looking at the current situation ad blockers are here to stay. It has been looking like this for years, and now we will soon be there...
Currently the use of ad blockers requires the installation of add-ons in browsers. In the not too far future they may be a built-in browser feature that requires turning them on or off. In fact, some of the newer browsers already have a "Reader View" inside the address field. Noted it? I do not know if this is installed along with an addon or is default now, but one click will remove the whole navigation, side columns, ads and everything, leaving only the main textual content for the reader.
Ads are be trashed along with pop-ups and other scripts. Even the notice for switching off ad blockers is not shown anymore now, it seems.
It may be better adjusting to the changes than hope for the unlikely.

Peter
#1367871 by Mary from Mico
Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:34 pm
Hi Peter,

This is astonishing:

one click will remove the whole navigation, side columns, ads and everything, leaving only the main textual content for the reader.

Mary
#1367873 by ENID from Sherwood
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 pm
On the other hand, advertising is sometimes part of the content that readers are seeking. Fashion magazines, for example, are at least half advertising. Women want to know where to buy the products that are being written about. I would guess that trout fishermen are as interesting in new rods, reels, lures, gear, and -- in their dreams -- boats as they are about the straight copy. Women who read newspaper food sections also wanted the Thursday ads, which now come to us in our mailboxes and go right into the trash. I live in an apartment and I've been watching this behavior for 14 years. I don't know what the right blend is, but it seems to me many content areas lend themselves to display advertising.
#1367907 by Peter from Kaohsiung
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 am
Hi Mary,

It is probably not so difficult to achieve. Just use some code to render scripts, CSS, external links, etc. ineffective and that is what remains.
At least we have a second choice now in view to what we want to see when a portal page is overloaded with links and pictures.

Peter