Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1373996 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 am
This is why I am getting very tired. :cry:

AJ said;

shareasale and CJ are just rip offs IMO

Yep been there done that, back for more, same thing. The only really stable and wonderful affiliate I have, runs there own program and I would trust them any day, any time. They provide me with a nice little income each month. I just had one of those on again, off again affiliates with CJ shut down again. They also sent an e-mail once that said they were switching too IA. Yep they were there. Signed up, made sales and then they told me they didn't "authorize" the switch so they ripped me off for at least $1300.00 and refused to pay me even though the sales showed up and the money I earned on IA was there. IA claimed that the affiliate didn't pay them so they won't pay me. What a rip off! :evil:

I'm through with them! I'm going to recommend another website even though they don't pay affiliates but they are nice people and treat their customers well.

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1374468 by Richard from Smallwood
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:43 pm
The thing about ad blockers is that if they take away the incentive for webmasters to make money...then why would someone make any effort to provide a quality, informative website?

Would they do so because they're nice guys?...I don't think so.

Something tells me that as the popularity of ad blockers grow...the quality of information on the web will decrease.
#1374476 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 pm
Richard said;

Something tells me that as the popularity of ad blockers grow...the quality of information on the web will decrease.

I agree.

For the time being, there will still be new "hopefuls" coming on board but I see in the near future where the amount of websites will decline. Let's face it, with the exceptions of some people, if we aren't making money from our websites, we probably will at some time shut down.

I see a day coming when if people want info, they will have to pay to access the websites they want to visit. We have already seen feeble attempts of this including some big news providers but they back off because not enough of their competitors are on board.....yet.

I see a day when many content rich sites run by individuals will start disappearing by the truckload. I'm starting to see my own website as more of a chore now. I find it is becoming aggravating trying to keep up with all the constant changes.

I still have one very good affiliate left but if they drop the program, I'll probably pack it in.

I know this is depressing but it is just my opinion and I might just be out to lunch. I mean, what do I know anyway? :?

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1374495 by Don from Tsiigehtchic
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:01 pm
Richard from Smallwood wrote:The thing about ad blockers is that if they take away the incentive for webmasters to make money...then why would someone make any effort to provide a quality, informative website?

Would they do so because they're nice guys?...I don't think so.

I agree. As the revenue potential declines, it's only natural that niche sites will decrease in number. However, in my niche, the recipe niche, I've observed some professional-looking food blogs created by people totally passionate about food, but these blogs simply display a few AdSense ads at best, and some aren't even monetized. The site owners are clearly not in it for the money, so they'll remain along with the big brand sites despite the ad blockers.

While the ad blockers are hurting us, I believe the bigger threat is the latest trend in browsers to automatic reader views that transform text on any website using fonts, colors and layouts of the visitor's choosing. Only the main content remains in a graphic-free, ad-free, distraction-free window. It goes far beyond ad blocking; It's as though our content is being harvested and given away for free.

How's a niche site to monetize when all AdSense ads and product promotions are stripped from the page, including hard-sought sponsored ads? How will the passionate owners of non-monetized sites feel when they see their creative look and feel stripped from their sites? Safari is making its Reader the default view, Chrome is set to follow, and the Firefox reader view is gaining followers. It's becoming hard for niche sites to adapt to visitors' demands for clean, distraction-free viewing. Have visitors ever stopped to think that distraction-free viewing might mean there will be fewer sites left to view?

Regards,
#1374496 by Richard from Smallwood
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 pm
The irony here is that I too have gotten sick and tired of seeing ads myself so I use a readily available free adblocker.

So am I a hypocrite by complaining about my own ad revenues going down while blocking the ad revenues of others?...yup! :oops:
#1374500 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Hi Don,

This is what I thought, too:

It's as though our content is being harvested and given away for free.

What, with Archive and such sites, the info will not really be lost.... It resides for free anyway.

Mary
#1374505 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm
I was just looking back at some other threads and I had posted this on Feb 1st this year.

I'm wondering when the first product will come out that will unblock the
blocker?

Well that ship left harbor and has returned back too home port already after a failed mission. Boy things move fast!

There is one avenue left that will help everyone in the long run. Have your own product(s) that you sell on line. I'm not talking about an e-book or Amazon. Develop or buy products from China and promote them on line.

Cheers,

Doug C.