Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1375470 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:58 pm
Your welcome, Judith.

Just FYI, 10% of my traffic still sees my old ad setup so I can't say for sure whether or not you saw the Ezoic-served ads.

I've left 10% seeing the old site so the system can still compare my old ad setup and site metrics to my Ezoic Ad Tester setup. Here are the latest Revenue Vs Old Site comparisons from my dashboard:

Ezoic Ad Tester Desktop: up 127%
Ezoic Ad Tester Mobile: up 733%
Ezoic Ad Tester Tablet: up 400%

As you can see, the biggest increase is from mobile and tablets.

But more importantly, my Ezoic site metrics (Time On Page, Bounce Rate, and Pages Per Visit) have all been improved from my old ad set up, which I believe is also helping to increase my traffic -- which of course, leads to even more ad revenues. :D

Dan
#1375581 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd give a visual perspective to what Ezoic's Ad Tester has done for my site revenues. Here is a chart showing my monthly revenue breakdown from June 2011 through June 2017.

focu-site-income-2011-2017.png
Revenues from free-online-calculator-use.com, June 2011 - June 2017
focu-site-income-2011-2017.png (63.97 KiB) Viewed 315 times

And to think this time last year I was certain that making money from ads was a dying monetization option. I still might end up being right when mobile browsers start blocking ads out of the box, but I'll be happy with being wrong for as long it lasts.

Happy 4th to those who celebrate it.

Dan
#1375769 by Will from Los Ojos
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:15 pm
Hi Dan,

Here's a question :) It looks like about 3 years ago, there was a spike in the blue column. Is that Ezoic?

I'm wondering, if you weren't always using the Ad Tester, how did you have Ezoic set up so that it didn't increase your Ad income.

Will
#1375772 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 pm
Will from Los Ojos wrote:Here's a question :) It looks like about 3 years ago, there was a spike in the blue column. Is that Ezoic?

Hi Will,

I should have explained. For some reason OpenOffice Calc has the "Ezoic" legend item color-coded the same as the "Ready/Scripting" item (readymade and calculator scripting). The spike in March of 2014 was selling the user rights to all of my commercial calculators to a large hosting company.

I didn't sign up for Ezoic until March of 2016, so all of the top-most light-blue data lines after that are from Ezoic. Any custom scripting or commercial calculator licensing is indicated by the light blue below the orange (AhaCalcs) member sales, which as you can see, is now a very tiny portion of my revenues.

Hope that clears things up.

Dan
#1375773 by Judith from Ayden
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm
Hi Dan,

I just looked at your FB page and it looks like you are in Bemidji. If so, we are almost neighbors. We just moved from St. Paul to Detroit Lakes.

Judith
#1375775 by Will from Los Ojos
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Hi Dan,

I thought the spike looked like something non-Ezoic :)

What I'm thinking of is that you nearly gave up on Ezoic, but then followed your account exec's advice to use Ad Tester. Which then made all the difference.

But how were you using Ezoic before you used the Ad Tester? That didn't give you such good results. Was it only using Ezoic on a small portion of your site? Rather than 90% of the site?

Will
#1375792 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:42 am
Judith from Ayden wrote:I just looked at your FB page and it looks like you are in Bemidji. If so, we are almost neighbors. We just moved from St. Paul to Detroit Lakes.

Howdy neighbor! Back while we had kids in sports we made countless trips to DL over those years. We should meet for coffee sometime. I rarely ever get to "talk shop" with anyone.

Will from Los Ojos wrote:What I'm thinking of is that you nearly gave up on Ezoic, but then followed your account exec's advice to use Ad Tester. Which then made all the difference.

But how were you using Ezoic before you used the Ad Tester? That didn't give you such good results. Was it only using Ezoic on a small portion of your site? Rather than 90% of the site?

Will, I started with Ad Tester out of the gate. It's just that I didn't follow my account manager's advice and wrap all of my existing ads with Ezoic ad placeholders. He kept telling me that I needed to wrap ALL of my ads, not just the lower performing ads, in order for the Ad Tester to work properly. But I was too afraid I was going to lose a ton of money by doing that.

Finally, when I was about to pull the plug last October, my account manager said, "Tell you what. Wrap all of your ads and turn the traffic up to 90%. If after 30 days you're not happy with the results, you can pull the plug with my blessings." Thank goodness I took him up on his challenge!!

Dan
#1375794 by Judith from Ayden
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 am
Howdy neighbor! Back while we had kids in sports we made countless trips to DL over those years. We should meet for coffee sometime. I rarely ever get to "talk shop" with anyone.

I would love that. Let's come up with a time and place before the end of summer.

Judith
#1376667 by Hazel from Takai
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 pm
Hi Dan,

I have a question about Ezoic.

I was contacted by a rep to try it out and today we were working on wrapping ads and I was ready to upload the "wrapped" ad files when my rep told me that I have to link my Adsense with Ezoic, but according to Google, by linking with them, Ezoic would be able to:
"- access your AdSense account;
- modify your AdSense settings, including ad units; and
- receive a proportion of your AdSense revenue, if they choose to do so."

I am a bit uncomfortable about that. Any advice?

Thanks.
#1376714 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 pm
Hi Hazel,

I too was a bit nervous about linking my Adsense account to Ezoic.

However, I went ahead and linked to them because I believed Ezoic would never risk their reputation or their coveted "Google Certified Publishing Partner" status by doing anything unethical with my account. And in the year and a half my account has been linked to Ezoic, I've never found even the slightest cause for concern.

Hope that helps put your mind at ease.

Dan