Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1383540 by Susan from Ash Flat
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 am
Just noticed that media.net are now offering 'exit ads' which appear when a visitor leaves your website.

I haven't used pop-ups or pop-unders but have a vague notion that they're frowned on by Google . Is this true, or just my muddled thinking?

I'd like to try these media.net exit ads but don't want to risk upsetting the big G. Input anyone?
#1383558 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:33 pm
Morning, Susan,

Google released a crackdown on what they call "interstitials" early this year. It's a jargony way of saying they don't like pop-ups or pop-unders or anything that covers content on mobile devices before the site visitor has even had a chance to read it.

This is an article on the Solo Build It! blog explaining what it's all about, what's acceptable and what's not.

Exit pop-ups are very common these days and they're not considered one of the "bad pop-ups" that Google talks about. If you're still worried, you could just activate them on desktops but they should be safe on any device.

Hope that helps.

Cath.
#1383575 by Susan from Ash Flat
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm
Thanks Cath :D That's exactly the info. I needed. These forums never let me down!

Given that crack down, I'm surprised so many sites I visit STILL have those annoying pop-ups that cover the entire darned page, mind you I use my PC/laptop much more than I do my cell phone, so maybe that's why I see them. Very irritating either way :evil: