Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1385993 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:54 am
Thank you for this information, I appreciate finding it so easily.

I just logged into Adsense and have a big red banner at the top, telling me to do this.

I have a question that no one seems to have answered.

So I have created the txt file and uploaded it, how do I let Google know its done?

Thanks Liz
#1386054 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 am

Just bumping this as my adsense has dropped very low and so far they don't seem to know I have put the file in place.

Can anyone who had issues with this tell me your experince please. I appreciate your help :roll:

Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea! wrote:Thank you for this information, I appreciate finding it so easily.

I just logged into Adsense and have a big red banner at the top, telling me to do this.

I have a question that no one seems to have answered.

So I have created the txt file and uploaded it, how do I let Google know its done?

Thanks Liz
#1386058 by Karen from Rotorua
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 am

The warning is still showing up in my adsense account and I've had a last chance reminder email.

We’ve noticed that the ads.txt file on one or more of your sites that you monetize through this AdSense account (pub-9101114450882587) is missing the correct publisher code.

In one of the FAQ (below) I've clicked through to my sites report and it's only my site plus sbiapps.sitesell.com, I don't know why that is there or if that's what's stopping the message from clearing. And, I don't know how to get it out of there. Any ideas?

Frequently asked questions
I see an alert about my ads.txt file in AdSense. How do I check which of my sites has an incorrect ads.txt file?

We suggest you follow these steps to check your ads.txt files:

Run the sites report in your AdSense account to get a list of all your sites.
For each site, check its ads.txt file and make sure that your publisher ID is present and correct.

#1386062 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 am
Hi Karen

I checked you txt file on your site and you have no space after the first comma. I am wondering if that is causing any issues for you.

I noticed all my ad codes in adsense have ca before the ad code. Yet when I check my account in settings there is no ca. I am wondering how to find out if that is my problem? Anyone else have ca before their code on ads generated for adsense?
#1386077 by Karen from Rotorua
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Liz, thanks for noticing that. I couldn't find the page to change so added it again and it shows the gap now. Will see in the morning if the alert in my adsense account disappears.

Re the ca-, that's in my adsense codes too. I clicked into another ads.txt file help and found this:

Only include the pub- prefix and the 16-digit numeric code in your declaration. Delete the product-specific prefix (for example, ca- or ca-video-). If you monetize through multiple Ad Exchange and/or AdSense accounts, you must include a separate row for each account, with its corresponding pub- code.

I guess it relates to products in some way. :?
#1386131 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm
Hi Debs

So relieved to see your post here just now as I haven't received the message but have no idea of what to do to remedy the situation should I receive the message from Google Adsense.

Regards

Lois
#1386156 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am
Thanks Debs for the detailed and easy-to-understand explanation.. wow I am so thankful for this type of help!!!

(I am not implementing the ads.txt at this time, but, when or if I do in the future... I would need some hand holding I think because I fully understand the reasoning of why... but I don't know where or how to create this file in the first place ;()

Thanks again!
#1386306 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Thanks, I'm glad the article has answered some questions ;)

To create the file, basically you open Notepad if on a Windows computer; or TextEdit (per the article) if on a Mac. The rest of the how to is in the article.

If you are sent the email, I would expect you would also see the warning in your Adsense account near the top.

The single biggest takeaway from the article is if you do it, you must do it correctly, including all pertinent advertisers, not just the company giving you the warning.

All my best,

Debs
#1386545 by Claire from Hamill
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm
I found the big red warning banner stretched across my adsense home page this morning. I've read through this thread, and Deb's article in SBIX, and have uploaded an ads.txt file as per the instructions.

Having done this, however, I've noticed something in the warning notice that I overlooked earlier. This is what it says:
_____

Sites with ads.txt issues
i / Publisher ID missing from ads.txt files
You need to add your publisher ID to the following ads.txt files:

aol.com/ads.txt

This will prevent a potentially severe impact on your earnings. Copy and paste the following code snippet into each ads.txt file:
etc etc.
_____

I have no idea what aol is doing here! I've got Adsense and that's it (apart from affiliates) on my site. Why does Google think I've got some involvement with aol?

How can I sort this out? Does it matter?

Any advice appreciated.

Claire
#1386625 by Elizabeth from Somewhere near the sea!
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:28 pm
I could not make my red banner go away so I investigated and found I had in the past allowed translators to show my site page (as they do). Of course my site was not in the translators txt file.

So I took the various translators such as bing and yahoo and various google sites out of the allowed sites list. The red banner went away, and my income dropped! Makes sense that it did. Maybe AOL translator is also in your allowed sites list? Check it and see?