Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1389978 by Susan from Montreal
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 pm
Dee, thanks for your suggestion. I do have ads.txt files uploaded for all my sites - verified them yesterday to make sure nothing had gone awry.

However, when I checked site list on Adsense this morning, I saw that (unverified) and a subdomain, (verified), had been added. I unverified the subdomain once I saw it. Since was definitely not listed last night, I think Adsense must be out of synch, and displayed the message before displaying the actual problem. Hopefully that takes care of it!
#1389997 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 am

Thanks Dee for the tip to check to ensure that ALL of our sites are listed in the "Verified Sites" in Google AdSense Settings! ... Mine DEFINITELY ALL used to be ... but ... only ONE of my sites was shown to be listed and verified now! :shock:

Not sure how that happened? Strange for sure ... could it have something to do with the move to https?

Unfortunately (as they are listed alphabetically Google does say) the ONE site that was Verified was my site with the least traffic --- and I wondered what on earth was happening to my Ad$en$e!!

As for the other "Authorized Sites /Verified Sites", Yahoo and Bing are both listed there but I believe this was discussed in these forums a long while ago, and it was suggested that they be added so that AdSense Showing on Yahoo and Bing will also be credited to our AdSense account?? Does that may sense? :?

Anyways, as for the red banner, I really want to get rid of it, but I have not heard back from as to what I need to include in the ads.txt file, nor do I know if I need to add a ads.txt file for my Amazon CPM ads.

Any other SBIers who have ads and /or Amazon CPM ads that can give advice? :)

I understand this:

What Are the Negatives of Implementing ads.txt?

If you implement this, you have to include all contextual advertisers/ad space buyers that put ads on your site, not just the one advertiser requesting you do so. If you leave advertisers off, you are basically telling everyone you don't authorize those advertisers/buyers to put ads on your site.

It's especially important to note, an ads.txt file done incorrectly or incompletely can harm your site much more than if you don't implement it at all. This includes the syntax (formatting) of the file, not just the content.

You also need to maintain your ads.txt file. If you add or remove an advertiser or ad space buyer, you need to update the file.

... however,

Question #1: ... in the meanwhile, while await instructions from and possibly from Amazon (CPM), is it okay to go ahead and add the ads.txt file for Google AdSense?

Questions #2: I would like to check what other sites that I know use Ads and /or Amazon CPM Ads have (or have not included) in their ads.txt files but where do I check that? I went to "View Source" ... but where do I find this info?

All help is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
#1390009 by Antoinette from Bedford
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 am

Lois, this is the ads.txt file that I received from MediaNet:, 8CU3V9YZ2, DIRECT, pub-7439041255533808, RESELLER, f08c47fec0942fa0, 537100188, RESELLER, 6a698e2ec38604c6, 35546, RESELLER, 7de89dc7742b5b11, 146321, RESELLER, 5702, RESELLER, 6836317, RESELLER, 537141219, RESELLER, 20041fe3-accf-fff1-8123-bc75af, 93915, RESELLER, 14410, RESELLER, 1316, RESELLER, 245955, RESELLER, 72878, RESELLER, 1025, RESELLER, 2982, RESELLER, 12888, RESELLER, 13183, RESELLER, 560496, RESELLER, 89ff185a4c4e857c, 267, RESELLER, 59c49fa9598a0117, 211156, RESELLER, 7842df1d2fe2db34, 211156, RESELLER, 7842df1d2fe2db34

You can send an email to pubsupport (at the domain) and get your account manager to assist.

I added one line to the above with my Google Adsense code:, pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

All the best,
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Made clickable email non-clickable per guidelines
#1390042 by Rita from Germany
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi everyone,

I followed this thread closely, and also read the MHQ article. It is my understanding that once you unverify all sites you don't own anyway in your Adsense account, the warning will go away.

I also had about 35 sites in my allowed sites list, mostly Google domains from around the world, Bing and Yahoo. I didn't get a warning, but I removed them all. So I hope there is no reason for a warning. And when there is no warning, there is no need to add an Ads.txt file, at least for now.

So, since the SBI recommendation is to avoid adding a Ads.txt file, unverifying all sites but our owns in Adsense seems to be the easiest solution.
#1390045 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Thanks Rita for your reply.

I think many SBIers added all sorts of sites -- mostly google extensions, yahoo, bing, etc.
See the above link.

It would make sense to ONLY have our owned websites in that list, but odd to receive that warning just for that ... when they have been there for years.

#1390047 by Mike from Isleta
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm
Thanks, Rita. I'd already unallowed the Yahoo site that Google mentioned specifically, and that made no difference. Now I've blocked most of the other sites that aren't mine (I left various Google sites and SBI), and the warning has gone away.
#1390049 by Rita from Germany
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 pm
Thanks for digging out that forum post, Lois, Yes that's exactly why we added all those sites to our authorised list. That was 2011.

Why Google now decides to send out warnings for these allowed sites that have been in our accounts for ages, well, that's Google's wise decision :wink: . Somehow they always love it to keep us webmasters busy :lol: .

Anyway, I have played with my Adsense earnings reports yesterday, and none of those verified Bing, Yahoo or Google sites ever earned me a penny. So for me the decision was easy to remove them.
#1390075 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 pm
1. ads.txt is a plain text file you upload via TXT It! in Site Central

2. when you get the warning, it has nothing to do with your Ids being in the ads themselves; it is about having a listing for them in your ads.txt file

3. you have to create this file yourself

4. you do not have to contact Yahoo; any of the merchants involved, and search engines, will know the URL so they can see what you have listed (most will spider the file); if no file, or listing in the file for them, you need to add it when they say (as noted by several of you above who got the notice

5. Follow the article in MHQ or the thread noted above, carefully

6. It is about ads you do not control; you control affiliate ads, banners etc ... you do not control what appears on your site when it comes to contextual advertising, impressions, or other adcode (you placed the code) where you do not know exactly what will appear to your visitors (that's called selling ad space)

7. No, the warning won't go away until you do ads.txt, upload it, and let Google know about it (or others requesting you do the file). Let G know via the URL Fetch tool.

8. Do contact Ezoic, MediaNet and similar to get what they need added to your ads.txt file.

Hope this helps,

#1390076 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm
I did a post over at the other thread: to help answer some of the questions brought up in that thread.

But, I've now merged both threads so you have everything in one.

All my best,

#1390337 by Kenneth from Florida
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm still confused about this specific issue...

You need to add your publisher ID to the following ads.txt files:

How can I fix this?
#1390341 by Antoinette from Bedford
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm
Kenneth, I uploaded a .txt file and submitted the URL to Google but the Yahoo warning did not go away.

Only when I changed the status of Yahoo to NOT verified ( in my allowed sites) did the red warning go away.

All the best,
#1390386 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 am

Ugh ... so annoying ...

I added a ads.txt file to all my sites two days ago ... and ensured they were all listed in the "Authorized /Verified Sites" list in my Google Adsense Settings AND "UN-verified" all the sites listed that do not belong to me (,, etc. etc.)

1. The red warning banner is STILL there. :(

2. Today I received a "final notice" from Google Adsense: :(

Urgent: Potential revenue decrease if no action taken.
Dear Publisher,
We’ve noticed that the ads.txt file on one or more of your sites that you monetize through this AdSense account (pub-5230272510468576) is missing the correct publisher code.
Since November 2017, Google stopped buying ads on sites with ads.txt files which don’t include the correct publisher IDs. To prevent impact to your earnings, please update your ads.txt files immediately.
You can view the list of your impacted sites by visiting My Sites. Make sure the ads.txt file for each site you want to earn money through this account contains the snippet below:

Anyone else?

#1390387 by Kenneth from Florida
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 am
Yup, me too. I got the final notice as well. And, Antoinette, I had already unverified Yahoo (days ago) and I still get the message. :(
#1390396 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 am
Hi Lois and Kenneth,

In case no one here can reply in time, can you write to Support?

'Worrying for myself in the future.