Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1394233 by Julie from Adona
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm
OK. So after following along in this thread, I started adding the code to my pages.

To be more functional, I created Reusable blocks above the H1 Headline for the different categories of pages on my site. I used a container block filled with a reusable block of Auto Ads code, then made the container a section-specific reusable block. The idea being that if I can figure out how to track the revenue from these different groups of pages, that I'll have more flexibility and can fine-tune both Auto Ads use and placement.

I already have a responsive Adsense ad right after the introduction. Sometimes another after the end of the content. And infrequently a third ad left aligned within the content. Those placed ads I am leaving for now as they've formed the base of my revenue.

My plan, if revenue increases, is to slowly remove these 'placed' ads as Auto Ads justifies itself and go solely with the Auto Ads--working on a single section of pages at a time and then testing.

I have added Auto Ads code to roughly 2/3s of my KFCP's. None to my C2's (which are about 2/3s of my total page count). I need to figure out how to add the code to those pages without touching the head section. I need to get a better handle on the pages that the code shouldn't appear on to avoid Adsense Violations.

The revenue results are promising.

Up about $20/day in revenue and it looks like its trending upward. This has only been over the weekend, but a defined uptick without a corresponding change in traffic.

There are more ads appearing than I'd care to have. Placement is a bit odd at times. Breaking into the content in weird ways. However, I plan to let it ride for a bit to see if placement settles down. If not, I'll play with <div></div> and see if I can't affect placement with that.

So far, so good. I'll report back in a week-ish with results.

To everyone who's shared their experiences, your help is invaluable. Thank you!

#1394236 by Margit from Nicaragua
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm

It takes a little while for the ads to show up.

I see three now: one in the content column, just below your lighhouse image, and two in the right column. One of them is at the very bottom of the page, extending below the footer - which looks a bit odd.
#1394237 by Judith from Minnesota
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about my ads showing up. I am now able to see them and likely will continue to add them to more pages. I'm not really happy about how the ads skew the text on some pages but will continue to monitor what's happening.

#1394251 by Mary from
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:29 pm
Hi Judy

I just saw one adsense ad just below your Cities in Minnesota paragraph. The ad was about across the column like a banner ad. I reloaded and their was a new ad in same place.

Hope you're seeing them now. I removed those ads from my site after a week because they were only paying pennies.

#1394255 by Mary from Mico
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 pm
Hello all,

I agree that these notes have been extremely helpful to me, too.

So far, I've still got the same good results and Semrush reflects what I'm seeing in Analytics for my sites. Traffic is also up. (Remembering: There could be way many other factors.)

I think a thing to remember in my case is that my Page Level code has been there a long time, so G's machine learning has had nearly a year to adjust. Also, I think that if that learning is in play, we may each see different ad placements on different sites and pages....

Thank you all for sharing your experiences here.

#1394280 by Don from Tsiigehtchic
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 am
Mary from Mico wrote:Also, I think that if that learning is in play, we may each see different ad placements on different sites and pages….

Good point, Mary. Non-responsive, Responsive, Mobilize It, site design, page layout, existing ads, and ad availability likely all play a part in how ads are placed. I believe the empty space issue is something Google's AI will solve given time.

#1394583 by Will from Los Ojos
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm
Anybody still running Google Auto Ads? I've looked at a few sites on this thread, but I don't see any Auto Ads on any pages anywhere. If anyone can post a URL or two to some pages running Auto Ads, that would be most helpful,

#1394606 by Julie from Adona
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 pm
Well that week went by fast.

Revenue is noticeably up while traffic holds pretty steady for this time of year.

Bounce rate has no noticeable difference.

When I've looked there's some ad placement that seems a bit weird...I'm going to wait another week before making any decisions.

It has raised Adsense revenue from mobile which is something I've been hoping to do.

I still need to figure out how to add it to my C2 pages. I don't want it in a sitewide dot until I'm sure I'm going to keep it.

Later 'gators!

#1394666 by Lois from Flowers Cove
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 am
Hi Will,

I tried the Auto Ads on one of my websites -- it only lasted a week - there was no improvement in earnings and they made my website look sooo ugly :)
I am now arranging channels for targeted ads for the first time ... I hope I am doing this right ;)