Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1395914 by Don from Narnia
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 pm

I was reading through this thread and noticed this:

Margeurite from Camden wrote:I had the exact same problem with the white space - awful isn't it? I only had this problem on desktop, I really loved what G did with my site on mobile. So here's what I did to solve the problem:

- Go to the auto ads section in your AdSense account.
- Change your global settings to reflect the mobile ad options only. That is, disable text and display ads and inarticle ads.
- Give it some time (it took approx. 2 hours on my site) and you won't see the white spaces anymore.

The only downside to this is that you will now have to manually add code onto each individual page in a container for desktop only. This is painful, but I would much rather this than the white space.

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1393903#p1393903

I would NOT do this: "manually add code onto each individual page in a container for desktop only."

When you place AdSense in a container that's designated "desktop only" or "mobile only" it loads the AdSense code onto the page, so it remains in the source code, but it then "hides" the ad from displaying on either desktop or mobile, depending on how you've Preset the container. This is against AdSense policy, as AdSense ads cannot be hidden!

Instead, use the accepable modification code that Google supplies and modify your responsive ad code to set specific ad sizes for mobile, tablet and desktop, and-or to hide a specified ad unit.

Everything is found on the following Google page; simply place your own responsive ad info in the highlighted areas:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6307124?hl=en

You won't violate any AdSense policies and risk your account by modifying your responsive ad code in the Google approved way.

SBI's Tips and Techniques page covers the same information:

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/adsense-responsive-ads.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
#1395932 by John from Olympus Mons
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 am
Hello All,

Like many have experienced, my nonsense (adsense) income has dropped drastically over the past 5 years to less than 10% of what it used to generate. It's getting so low lately, I've actually seriously been considering removing adsense wank from my site altogether for the few dollars it generates each day.

I however have been keeping an eye this Auto Ads plug & play thread and reluctantly just decided to try it / test it on one of my best performing pages (not my home page). After 20 minutes or so, I started seeing the extra "Auto Ads" and have two questions regarding the implementation.

My three original ad blocks are still showing up where I have always had them woven into my content, and 5 more additional banner style ads are now peppered through the body of the content (all 5 in first 25% or so of the page). I thought the maximum number of Adsense ads allowed on a web page was 4?

Q1: Do I have to remove all my existing adsense ad code? I read you don't have to and the auto ads will automatically do it all, but surly having 8 ads on a page is not right and will be flagged.

Q2: It is however the longest page on my site, so perhaps Google has a new ratio of ads per page length now? In other words, the longer the page, the more ads it will allow?

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers,
#1395933 by Mary from Mico
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 am
Hi John,

I did not remove any of my ad placements and, yes, G has a new ad placement rule that allows many more ads on a page. I think Will linked to G's page on this earlier in this thread or another a few months ago.

My ads usually do not show more than one per screen except at the top.

I'm very happy with whatever is happening with my Adsense AutoAds.

Mary
#1395935 by John from Olympus Mons
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am
Thanks Mary,

Sorry I missed Will's link. I just finished watching a video about Google's ad policy on how there is no longer a specific number of ads per page, but rather it's now determined by amount of original content to ad ratio.
https://youtu.be/gNu0Chtxa68

So I guess having 8 ads show up on an extra long content page is okay.

Also very glad to hear you are happy with your auto ad implementation. No doubt it's copy and paste easy to try. I'll see how that one page performs over the next couple days, and then hopefully take the big step and fire the Auto Ad code into the top sidewide dot :-)
My site used to do so well on all fronts, but it's been a real battle lately so every cent these days counts.

Thanks again - take care,
#1395936 by Mary from Mico
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 am
Awesome John!

I'm looking forward to reading your experience with this. As Don notes, it's based on machine learning; so you might wait a month to "see" if this improves your results.

Here's hoping for the best.

Mary
#1396031 by John from Olympus Mons
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the "hoping" and the tip about waiting for the ad AI to learn for several weeks before coming to any final conclusion/s.

I did put the code up on my top 10 pages and had one of my best Adsense days in a while, considering the visitor and page view numbers were quite average. Totally circumstantial & anecdotal of course, but thought I would share the initial first day result. So, took the plunge, and put the auto ad code in my top side wide dot and will see what happens over the next few weeks.

I did also turn that sitewide dot off on all non-content and specialized sales pages, as to hopefully not upset Google nor introduce extra click out options on my product pages.

We will see - keeping fingers crossed this might improve Adsense performance as it has seemed to do for you and others. I'll report back in a few weeks with an update (good, bad, or no change).
#1396044 by Mary from Mico
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:46 am
Hi John.

This is such encouraging news! Thank you for your notes and I look forward to reading what you find during this next month. I'm also glad you closed that SWD on sales and utility pages. It's a good reminder to all of us.

Here's hoping again. :D

Mary
#1396077 by Don from Narnia
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 am

Hi Everybody,

Well, here's my observations after one month of Auto Ads:

I retained 2 existing ads (below first paragraph and end of content) that have consistently performed well on all my content pages, and after activating Auto Ads, I now see additional ads being inserted into the side columns and within the content on longer pages, especially those of 1000-plus words. The inserted ads are well placed and, generally, they blend well with the content.

I activated Auto Ads on February 24th, so I now have over a month's AdSense results. Here's what I've discovered by comparing 42 days of Auto Ads to the previous 42 days, adjusting for site traffic differences:

Estimated Earnings: 23.2% increase
Ad Sessions: 22.5% increase
Clicks: 31.0% increase
Ad Impression RPM: 18.4% increase
Ad Sessions: 27.9% increase
CPC: -6.9% decrease

Though the 23.2% increase in earnings seems impressive at first glance, there's a 22.8% increase in page views to consider for the period. Therefore, earnings are up only slightly. Slightly. Also, CPC has decreased which is not unexpected, as the more ads there are on a page, the less their bid price.

In an earlier post, Tim mentioned a connection between Auto Ads and page size:

Timothy from Glen Hope wrote:Here is the experiment in a nutshell. Increase page size and let Google Auto-Ads' do the placement. Increse page size to around 2000 words. Check data for results.

I agree. It's on my pages of 1000-plus words that I've noticed the greatest increase in ad placement.

Julie from Adona wrote:There are more ads appearing than I'd care to have. Placement is a bit odd at times. Breaking into the content in weird ways.

As with Julie's observation, there are occasions when there are more ads appearing on a page than I would have placed, but it's Google who's placing these ads, so there must be a reason. I've noticed that fewer ads are sometimes seen on those pages a day or so later, and revenue hasn't suffered, so I'm content to leave it to Google.

My big regret with Auto Ads is there doesn't appear to be any tie-in with Channels. I've always found the ad Channels extremely useful for testing how ads perform on my various site categories whereas with Auto Ads, it's an entire site approach to performance testing.

All in all, I still like the concept of Auto Ads, and the simplicity of its automated AI features, especially for mobile which I tend to neglect because of the extra bother. So, with the results I've seen so far, though they're less than hoped for, I'm keeping Auto Ads on my sites.

Regards,
#1396080 by Mary from Mico
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:55 am
Hi Don.

Thank you for taking the time to figure your results and to write about them here.

I am keeping Auto Ads, too, yet do not have the time at the moment to run through the numbers. I did take a glance at a large spanse of Adsense time (June 2014 to now) and find that these last two months have stats way higher than previous months and years. Current lows knit with past highs....

Now to get more traffic.... :D

Mary