Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1392988 by Mary from Mico
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:21 am

Hello all,

I've just noticed an option in my Adsense account for Auto Ads.

This sounds like what I've thought Google has been leaning toward lately, the imitation of such sites' services as Ezoic's. It really seems like competition to Ezoic, yet so much more smooth for webmasters:

Automatically smarter ads
Auto ads use machine learning to make smart ad placement decisions on your behalf.
Add one piece of code just once to your pages. Let Google take care of the rest.

This looks so hopeful! Is it too good to be true?!

Auto ads are a family of ad formats that offer a simple and innovative way for you to monetize your content. With Auto ads, you place the same piece of ad code once on each page. After you've added the code, Google automatically shows ads at optimal times when they’re likely to perform well for you and provide a good experience for your users.

The benefits of Auto ads include:

They let you focus on creating great content. Auto ads automatically place and optimize your ads for you so you don't have to spend time doing it yourself.
They potentially increase your revenue. Auto ads analyze your pages and find new places to show ads based on your layout, content, and existing Google ads.
They're easy to use. You place the same piece of code just once on each page that you want to show Auto ads. Google takes care of the rest.
How Auto ads work
Auto ads use Google's machine learning technology to:

Understand your page structure
Detect any existing Google ads on your page. (Note that we're not able to detect ads from other ad networks.)
Automatically place new ads based on different elements such as your page layout, the amount of content on your page, and your existing Google ads.
If you make a change to your site we'll detect it and reanalyze your page.

If you have AMP pages
Note that if you'd like Google to automatically place ads on your AMP pages, you'll need to use our AMP Auto ads, which are currently available as an AdSense Lab. Learn more about the AMP Auto Text and display ads Lab.
Ad formats
The Auto ads family includes the following ad formats.

In-page ads
These ads appear in specific places on your pages:

Text & display
In-article ads
In-feed ads (mobile only)
Matched content (mobile only)

Overlay ads
These ads appear over the top of your pages and might require your users to close or remove them:

Anchor ads (mobile only)
Vignette ads (mobile only)
Some Auto ad formats target similar ad placements, for example, both Text & display and In-article ads can appear in between your articles. If you turn on both of these ad formats they'll compete for the same ad placements and the highest-paying ads will show.

Here's hoping that this is a wonderful boost for our sites!

(Who had logged in to remove her Ezoic codes from PNP before she knew anything about Auto Ads.)
#1392996 by Jeff from
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am
One benefit G doesn't mention: You can't be busted by G for having ads above the fold in mobile viewports!!! In theory, no one should ever see an ad above the fold when using those ads.
#1393059 by Mary from
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:31 am
Thank you Mary for posting this. I just saw this in my AdSense account, too and hurried over hear to see to check if anyone mentioned it. Might have known it would have been you. :)

It does sound too good to be true. I do think it goes on desktop as well as mobile. Am I correct? If it does, I think I will postpone switching to https which the thought of gives me panic attacks. :mrgreen:

#1393110 by Mike from Isleta
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Thanks for sharing this info, a few days ahead of Google emailing to announce it. I've now implemented it and it's slightly scary as Google now places huge ads which appear above the fold on mobile devices - exactly where it told people not to post them not long ago.
#1393115 by Will from Los Ojos
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 pm
Jeff from wrote:One benefit G doesn't mention: You can't be busted by G for having ads above the fold in mobile viewports!!! In theory, no one should ever see an ad above the fold when using those ads.

Mike from Isleta wrote:and it's slightly scary as Google now places huge ads which appear above the fold on mobile devices - exactly where it told people not to post them not long ago.

How long ago is long ago? Time just flies ....

Most people still think Google doesn't allow ads above the mobile fold, but it changed policy a while ago. In May 2017, it also allowed the use of 300 x 250 above the mobile fold. In September 2017 it also implemented wall to wall ads on mobile, with no space at the sides at all.

To see more, read this post.

Keeping up ain't easy :)

#1393135 by Mary from Mico
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Wow. Thanks everyone!

I just received Google's Auto Ads email today, too. Interesting that I saw it in my account before the email. I hope that means that early implementation bugs might be solved - at least by the time I finish understanding it.

Mike - Was it as easy to implement the code as simply putting that code in your head code space for all pages? Or did you put the code on each page individually? I might have to do that as I have product pages, etc.

Also, did you have to remove your other Adsense codes? I went to remove my Ezoic codes and Preview showed me the wonky image of my site so I chickened out. This is discussed in another thread. [Some of this is explained in the email, yet I'm not quite sure how to implement it when G says "on each of your pages".]

*Are easy to use: With Auto ads you only need to place the same piece of ad code on each of your pages once. Google will then take care of the rest.
*Make smart choices on your behalf: AdSense will only show Auto ads when they're likely to perform well and provide a good user experience.
*Can increase your overall revenue: Auto ads work on their own or alongside your existing Google ads. If your site has more potential placements for monetization Auto ads will detect them.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate your help .

Will - Thank you for reminding us about Google's roller coaster policies. I'm still in "less is best" mode, yet I'd love Google itself to optimize my ads. :-)

Last edited by Mary from Mico on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1393141 by Mary from
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:09 am
Hello All,

Wanted to tell you that I just placed the Auto Ads code on my home page and VERY pleased where the ad was placed. It is at the bottom, not invasive at all and is actually relevant to my site. Recipes. Yea!

Debs, thank you. I'm shooting for March 1st to convert. With the conversion and these New Adsense Ads I think we are going to see revenue increasing.

Good luck, everyone!y.

#1393149 by Mary from Mico
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 am
Thank you Mike.

And thank you MaryO! Congratulations!!! So well deserved!

Me, too.

Even though I have not implemented it. Why? My Adsense is nearly double these last two or three days on one of my two sites and I think that I have had Page Level Ads. We've been waiting to pinch ourselves to see if time would prove. Today is day three of at least 50% higher Adsense for both websites.

Of course this doesn't cover all the variables that may be in play. As you said this is often a time when my Adsense rises for both sites, yet I have not seen this much money from Adsense since before 2014.

I'm wondering, too, if G is implementing some of the tricks Ezoic, Sovrn, and others do for ads, I'm wondering how long till G does the same for layouts. If these little companies can improve ads and layouts, why not the Big G? I'm sure G knows what my visitors want to see. Way better than I do, for sure.

'Wishing out loud. :D

Now to find if I've already implemented Page Level code....

Yep. It's already there. (Crtl U, Ctrl F page-level).