Best solopreneurial strategies, and questions, related to monetizing high-traffic sites with low-maintenance revenue streams ("passive monetization") offered by Google and other ad networks. "Passive" is not our recommended way to monetize, but it's a decent "way-station" until you are ready to increase your $-per-visitor ratio. Got a question or a tip on that? You've come to the right place!

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1393778 by Cathy from Killington
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm
In a thread on this subject a link came up to an SBI article on "Protecting Your Advertising Revenue With ads.txt"

In this article it explains the pros and cons of the ads.txt file issue but once it's set up then a person needs to set it up for all other advertisers. This is confusing.

Does this mean, I have to create an ads.txt file for every company on my site that is participating as an advertiser through an affiliate program I participate in?

Can someone explain this in better detail. Support said to post a question here" "Regarding the ads.txt extension and making it universal, please ask in the forums regarding this..."

SO I am. Any help would be appreciated, and in my case that means detailed explanation!

Cathy Sheehan
#1393789 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:14 am

You only need one ads.txt file for your ads. Most aggregators (Adsense, MediaVine, Ezoic etc) provide it. Not sure how this would apply if you're doing your own ads.

This is what MediaVine have in their help files;

What is Ads.txt?

Similar to the infamous Robots.txt file, it’s a “plain text” file that is hosted on your root domain, at the top level of your website, and it contains a list of authorized sellers of your advertising inventory.
What is the point of Ads.txt files?

The Ads.txt initiative was started to combat ad fraud and in particular, two main types – unauthorized reselling of your ad inventory through arbitration, and more importantly, ad fraud through misrepresentation or counterfeit ad impressions.

And more about it on their blog;
#1393805 by Cathy from Killington
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm
Hi Jacki,

Apparently the problem is the ads.txt code is specific to each advertiser. Google provides their code, and from the SBI Help article I mentioned it shows examples of all advertisers and their individual codes and how to include.

My question is, as part of an affiliate program - i.e CJ - do I need specific code for each advertiser I have a 'relationship' with for banners, etc. on my website. I haven't contacted these companies directly - I'm not doing my own ads - I'm using affiliate programs and the links provided through them for banners, and so forth.

This is the link (minus the https) for the SBI article and it shows the examples of setting up the individual ads.txt files for each advertiser:

Support said to ask in the Forums if there was a 'universal' way of setting this up across the board for all advertisers.

Help anyone?!

#1393826 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:58 pm
I don't know if you need to use anything if the affiliate doesn't provide one. This is definitely the 80/20 type of thing we've been warned about. Don't waste your valuable time worrying about it.

PS; it looks like one ads.txt with a list of all the aggregators, not one for each one.
#1393840 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm
You only need to add an entry to your ads.txt for ads where control is given over to the advertiser on what appears (sometimes referred to as auction/contextual/bidding ads). If however you get ad #123 from merchant Jones, and it is a static ad, for instance, you put it where you want, it only shows what you want, you control the ad, no need to be within your ads.txt file.

Adsense, MediaNet, Doubleclick and similar are either contextual based (meaning they show what works with the content on your page); how much you are paid fluctuates based upon what advertisers will pay, these need to be in your ads.txt file.

One line per type of advert.