Affiliate marketing is the other major way to generate "passive income." Integrating affiliate links into your PREselling content - what works? What doesn't? Which programs work best for travel sites? Not getting paid? What is the best way to use your Solo Build It!! site to PREsell SBI! itself? If it's affiliate-related, it's here!

Moderator: Debs from barkinista.com

#1364853 by Sheri from Uneeda
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 pm
Have you heard the rumors about the upcoming changes that might be happening to Amazon's affiliate program? I saw another post about it today:

http://www.potpiegirl.com/2017/02/amazo ... t-like-it/

This could be really interesting. I make a really good income from Amazon now and calculated what changes this would mean for me and it is quite a significant change! :shock:

I will not lessen my interest in promoting products for them because they convert like crazy but for SOME niches this could be really bad news.

While not confirmed by Amazon, will YOU do anything different in relation to the affect this potential change may have on YOUR business? I'd be interested to hear. :D

All the best-

Sheri

Going into effect March 1st.
Last edited by Debs from barkinista.com on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added confirmed to subject and added date.
#1364920 by Cath from Italy
Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm
I think I'd rather wait and see what happens than worry about it at this point. But it's a good reminder to look for other affiliate programmes / alternative ways of making money from my sites. I earn a reasonable income with Amazon and it's easy to become complacent.

Thanks for the nudge, Sheri! :)
#1364923 by Sheri from Uneeda
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:00 pm
You are welcome Cath!

I don't think it is something to "worry" about, but it just may be a good time to look at each of our site's overall strategies especially if you are getting bumped down to a 3 percent commission from one of the much higher tiers. :)

All the best-

Sheri
#1365611 by Amy from Box Springs
Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 pm
Well, about 98% of my income is from Amazon... I have my SBI renewal fee on March 1st as well - been working my site for 7 years and only six months ago began clearing the $1,000 mark monthly. Just when I get a taste of success, I get knocked down. I'm rather weary of it. I will pay for another year of SBI, see how my income is, but probably stop working on my site to keep it fresh and up to date. It will run its course for the year, then I will say goodbye. Such is life!
#1365614 by Sheri from Uneeda
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm
I make a lot on baby products too so that one is particularly harsh. :( Sorry.

Hopefully your overall income will still keep going up and your site will still be profitable for you this year. :D

All the best-

Sheri
#1365619 by Elizabeth from Mossman
Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 am
I started to make really good money from Amazon, and as one of my sites could promote jewelry it sounds fine. Except I have been on the sliding scale and often got to either 8% or 8.25% (over two linked sites on Amazon). At that point I got very good money!

The thing that cheeses me off (and possibly lots of other people are also annoyed) is that I put a lot of time and effort into adding the native widgets on my websites especially in November when they gave us all a taste of very high commission. I believe they tricked us into placing these widgets expecting it would continue! I would have native widgets (each done separately to reflect the page keyword) on over 400 pages (over 2 sites).

I have been earning a great income for the last few months from Amazon. I am quite despondent about this, especially as I have been selling lots of books. The commission on books has dropped dramatically! I wonder if there are any other alternatives to Amazon for book sales.

I know the best thing to do is to concentrate on writing my own E-books. Its the only answer really. This is a good lesson on putting eggs in one basket...
#1365627 by Susan from Lynn Haven
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:34 am
Amazon has never played a big role in my income as the only things I promote directly are travel books on perhaps two pages - so until recently, perhaps $50/month on average. However, I've tested the native ads at the bottom of 6-8 other pages for the past 2-3 months, and have been astonished by the array of things people are now buying. My monthly Amazon income has roughly tripled.

I have no clue what the impact will be on my site now that rates have changed because the things people buy (aside from books) are so random. Anyone who is worried about income dropping due to the rate change might try the native ads, if you haven't already.
#1365631 by Susan from Ash Flat
Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 am
I earn a decent amount from Amazon each month. Although my sites promote pet products (which look to be getting the better end of the deal) many people buy all sorts of things once they get to amazon.

I'm really slow with this type of stuff and am not sure what the new rules will mean for me. Will there be a different % of commission on each individual product.. in every order? I guess in that case the commission that I earn could be anywhere on that scale... once all sales are taken into account. I'm thinking that should be the same for all of us as I'm sure my visitors are fairly typical in their buying behavior.

One more dumb question (I know I should know this but I don't) how do I know what commission I'm getting currently? I can't figure out where it's shown. A long time ago (last time I looked for it) this figure was shown on the affiliate homepage. Now I can't see it.. constant dashboard changes for so many companies get me tied in knots :roll:
#1365634 by Susan from Lynn Haven
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:32 am
Hi Sue,

If you go to https://affiliate-program.amazon.com and log in, the Amazon Associates home page should appear - if not, just click Home on the Nav bar at the top. Look in the "Summary for this Month" box on the right, and you'll see your Referral Rate. Currently, Amazon uses tiers based on how many items have shipped for the month, so the Referral Rate varies - for example, you'll get 7% if you sell and ship over 80 items in a month.

Did you get a message yet from Amazon about the new commission rates? That will give you an idea about what each category gets. They said they're doing away with the tiers, so now it looks like a bunch of flat rates, based on what items you sell.

Hope this helps!
#1365635 by Elizabeth from Mossman
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:39 am
Susan you just go to reports at the top of the Amazon home page, then select the first item - earnings report. It gives you a list of items sold and the percentage earned on each one. You can change the date too, to see whats been selling and when. Some items have been a low percent for a long time, now it looks like everything is going to have its individual rate. They sent me an email with a link to the new rates on the Amazon site. Check your emails.

I also sell a large range of items from my site links as once people get on Amazon they just stay there shopping. Some weird and wonderful items are bought... yesterday someone bought a pair of dumbbells, there were kitchen supplies and I just saw lots of pet supplies sold yesterday, who would have guessed?
#1365662 by Susan from Ash Flat
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:21 pm
Thanks guys!

Susan, I don't have a 'Referral Rate' in that box on the homepage :? I know there used to be a figure there that showed commission percentage... perhaps it's now entitled 'Conversion'? That one looks like it could be it. I stuck to the old style of reporting dashboard as I couldn't ever find what I wanted with the new one. I guess this old dog doesn't learn new tricks very well.

Elizabeth, in the earnings report I'm guessing the percentage earned is the 'Advertising Fee Rate' then? It's all over the place with so many different things being bought. I guess there's no way for me to know exactly how this is going to affect my earnings overall, but I'm pretty sure it's going to go down :(

Didn't see an email, but I get so much mail that I could easily have missed it. I checked out the figures posted in that link and pet products seems to be one of the luckier categories but I'm going to lose out on the books (which I sell quite a bit of) and of course all the random stuff like electronics, dvd's, groceries and such. Dang it! Just when Amazon was really bringing me in some decent $$$'s :twisted:
#1365677 by Susan from Lynn Haven
Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 am
Sue - I'm using the new dashboard, so that's probably why I see Referral Rate and you don't. On the new dashboard, Conversion shows the % of clicks that convert to sales - don't know if it's the same on the old dashboard. You might want to try temporarily selecting the new dashboard (I think you can always go back to the old if you want) to see what the differences are.