Affiliate marketing is the other major way to generate "passive income." Integrating affiliate links into your PREselling content - what works? What doesn't? Which programs work best for travel sites? Not getting paid? What is the best way to use your Solo Build It!! site to PREsell SBI! itself? If it's affiliate-related, it's here!
Read Only
#1369100 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:35 am
Hi All!

It occurred to me the other day, can affiliate links be tracked on phones?

Suppose someone is surfing with their phone and they click on one of your affiliate links and end up at the merchant's site. They make a purchase. Is that tracked back to the affiliate?

Or the visitor decides, after clicking through to the merchant's site, that they want to check it out on their computer so they 'share' the merchant's web page to their computer so that they can visit from their computer.

Has the affiliate lost all of hope of collecting a commission at that point?

If yes, then does it make sense to remove all affiliate links, from the smart-device version of our sites, that lead to earning programs that aren't conducive to smart devices?

Thank you!!
Diane
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Locked at the request of the OP.
#1369110 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 am
Hi Diane.

If you put an affiliate link into the page, mobile users tap on that link.

If they email the link to themselves for a later click from a computer, unless they do a fair bit of scrubbing of the link, you'll get credit. Now, if they go to the page, then send the URL to themselves by email from the browser, you may lose that sale.

But even if you do, the odd lost sale from that is no reason to miss out on every sale from phones and tablets.
#1369114 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:05 am
Thank you Jeff!

Could it depend on the industry as to whether or not it would be a good idea?

For example, a contractor is perusing my website on his mobile device and comes upon an affiliate link to a partner of mine.

He clicks on the link, goes to the merchant's site, and finds that this particular digital product works on computers but not on mobile devices.

He shares the page (which is the merchant's page because that's the page he's on now) to himself by using the merchant's 'email share button'.

On his computer he clicks on the link in his email which takes him straight to the merchant's website.

Is commission lost and if so would that support removing, only from the mobile version of the website, affiliate links for digital products that don't work on mobile devices?

Thank you again Jeff!
Diane
#1369201 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm
Hi Dear Moderator! :wink:

I was wondering, I feel that this discussion is going to become about eProducts (which is actually the info I'm seeing now that I need), would you be able to transfer it to that forum?

Or is it okay if I go in to that forum and post basically the same as what I posted in my response above?

Thank you so much!!
Diane
#1369208 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm
The first post determines what a thread is about.

If it is going to veer in another direction, a new thread should be started, asking the updated question. If you want to offer background you can link to this thread.

If you feel this thread has gone as far as you feel it can on the original question, you can let the thread die, or request a mod or admin lock the thread.

Just use the report icon in the Gear Settings Icon dropdown list to have someone take care of it.

This thread is however about Affiliate Links, so I am going to move it to that forum.

All my best,

Debs, Forum Admin
#1369238 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm
Thank you thank you Debs!

I'll go look for that forum. I'm still like Alice in Wonderland in the forums... :lol:

Thank you again!!
Diane
PS: Since you moved it do I need to ask that it be locked or ... (There's that Alice peeking around a huge teacup questioning her next move!) :lol: (Sorry, 'odd humor' could have easily been my middle name...)