Ideas for digital products. What sells? What doesn't? What are you doing to increase sales, improve ROI, and Conversion Rates? Are you doing ebooks (hey, Kindle?), downloads, online courses/consulting, webinars, recordings, or ...? If it's digitized and you plan on monetizing it, this is the SBI! forum for you.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1370640 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm
I have an online course and I'm considering creating another.

It is advised that having your own product will improve income however in my case the majority of my income comes from advertising. I use Adthrive as an ad server. If you've ever heard of the 80/20 principal you should focus on what is currently bringing in the most success. Which for me seems like I should focus on bringing in more traffic to keep that ad revenue up. But what I read says get your own products. So I'm not sure what to focus on for MY situation.

Here is where I need to make a decision.

I recently experimented with Facebook Live. They love it! I'm getting multiple requests for a place to sign up for notifications on my shows. So I'm considering the best way to reuse that content. Do I create new pages on my site with it? Do I create a membership that people can join to get more of this facebook live. Possibly adding it to my current canning class. (which is doing ok but not selling like crazy :? )

I'm also creating gardening videos with the intent to create a gardening course. However now I'm second guessing myself, maybe I need to just create more pages with that content. It is a side topic that ties in with Canning pretty well.

I guess my main question is, focus on more traffic? Focus on more products?
#1370642 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 pm
Sharon from Maple Springs wrote:I guess my main question is, focus on more traffic? Focus on more products?
You've already got your answer on this;

Sharon from Maple Springs wrote:I'm getting multiple requests for a place to sign up for notifications on my shows.
Feed them what they want. If people are actually requesting things, try and find a way to give it to them :D
#1370648 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Mon May 08, 2017 5:33 pm
True but...

do I give it to them to get more traffic? ie- free as pages on the site.
OR
do I create a product to sell? (or add it to my current product which will basically create a membership rather than a course.)

That is my dilema. I know I need to keep on with the facebook live and I'm enjoying making gardening videos but I don't know the best way to utilize these two things.

Maybe I'm over thinking.
#1370659 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm
What is your traffic like now? If it's around 1k a day, then the rewards should start. I've seen all kinds of different views on what the percentage of buyers/visitors should be, but depending on what you offer you can increase that with trust - give a free guide, which then leads to a cheap pdf e-book, which leads to something more extensive. Once a person has bought something from you they are more likely to buy something else. Plus you will have their trust. I've started to use Form Build It! to make auto responders which lead to the next level.

One thing I've noticed, and I sign up for a lot of email lists, is how poorly they follow through. Even those where I've bought something it kind of fizzles out, and eventually you never hear from them again. Don't be this one. :D

PS: Traffic building never stops. You just keep adding more stuff that they can buy from you.
#1370685 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Tue May 09, 2017 12:34 am
Traffic is great. Well over 1,000/day. Which is why my ad income seems to do the best for me.
And yes... I am one of those newsletter follow through failures. :roll: Working on it.
#1370687 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 am
I think if you set a goal to send out an email to your subscribers every month, without fail, and guided them to a product which is your affiliate link, you may find that it's enough to bump you up.
#1370692 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 am
Yes, I even added it as a goal for this week in the challenge group. :)

I'm still looking for direction about my content in the future though. Do I work these article/videos into my site? focusing on traffic? Or do I focus on creating another class. Knowing of course that traffic building never goes away.

I guess I need to keep mulling over my future direction.
#1370718 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue May 09, 2017 4:03 pm
I build a page dedicated to my e-zine, then I have the sign up box, and also thumbnail links to some of the most recent e-zines, each of which is a content page. Is that the kind of thing you mean? How many pages do you have now? Utilize them by reassembling them. Once you get to a certain size, you don't really need to keep writing new content, just make them into listicles, or combine them somehow. Some of my most popular pages ever are re-bundled - here are two for examples; [Domain Private] - those keywords were not in my mkl. They were 'found' by looking in my traffic stats. Find what people want to know, and rework your pages to suit.
#1372355 by Dominic from Ashern
Mon May 29, 2017 1:49 am
Hi

I had/ have a similar issue. I found that there is a balance to what you want to write for free and what you want to sell for. Unfortunately this is a magazine issue as well- however their advertisement revenue, some subscriptions and JV supplement that- so therefore creating free content is their thing, they have to do it.

But like what Ken states many times, you can't have 1 revenue stream. What if it dries up?

But one thing that some people don't mention is that many eproducts have shelf lives.The information changes, the distribution channel changes, competition starts. And many other things.

It is very easy to write all of your content out and then find that the content is actually the book you are trying to sell.

Content supplementation (my term) is an idea where you have an ebook/ videos about the canning process. But you have articles which cover the reasons why people want to can- nutrition, knowing whats in it, commenting on daily food scares with the benefit of canning. So you are not directly talking about canning, but just why you should can.

If you dont know if to make a product, just make it as long as there is an audience for it. There are multiple cases where side projects became best sellers and company brands. I enjoy making eproducts and keep on making them. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But usually one product pays for all the hosting of the others, so thats then just gravy :)

Be careful when doing membership. Some people will download everything in sight within the first week- which they can do. Also the drop off rate has to be kept in check with membership subscriptions. Also, is there going to be an out- a year long membership only?

All the best
#1372392 by Yuki from East End
Mon May 29, 2017 4:10 pm
I definitely think you should re-use those Facebook Live videos.

Maybe you could embed the video on a page and transcribe it below. Since they're 20-30 minutes each I would think you'd get a good amount of long-tail keywords in that text.

Perhaps since you have such an immense social following you could work with your site sponsors so they could sponsor the videos as well. You would have to disclose it to your audience (FTC regulations), but it could be something to consider -- organically working with their products in the videos... For your amount of traffic and the amount of views you get, it could be something to consider for both Facebook, Youtube, and your site content.

Lorelie had mentioned in her story how she uses video and a private Facebook group to compliment her site content and to monetize. Reading her story could get your mind jogging even more! :D
#1372405 by Mary from Mico
Mon May 29, 2017 6:08 pm
Dominic,

Thank you for writing. I agree with Jacki. Profound. I've found the same with ebooks, especially one side project pulling the weight for the other projects.

Yuki,

Thank you for posting. The transcription idea is excellent. I follow Joette Calabrese's blog and she transribes her pod casts. This is super helpful to me as I sometimes only have time to scan the info. It's also super helpful for on page search for a particular remedy or case.

Great notes here.

Mary
#1372734 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:11 pm
This is what I've come up with.
I've built a round up post with several pages that are all related from my site. (this time around all are based around preserving cherries)

I'm doing my facebook live show. Saving it on FB, adding it to Youtube, then embedding the video on my page.

My first example. [Domain Private]

By building the page first, I have a basic outline of what I'm going to cover and then the link is already available during the live show for those who don't stick with me the entire 20 minutes or so.

I may look into how to have sponsors for these videos.