Ideas for digital products. What sells? What doesn't? What are you doing to increase sales, improve ROI, and Conversion Rates? Are you doing ebooks (hey, Kindle?), downloads, online courses/consulting, webinars, recordings, or ...? If it's digitized and you plan on monetizing it, this is the SBI! forum for you.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1390051 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm
I'm looking for open office to download for my sons computer. I'm always leery of downloading things and want to be sure I'm not getting extra "stuff" advertising etc that I don't need/want.

Is this the right one? https://www.openoffice.org/

It is called Apache open office. I've not heard of it as anything but open office so I'm not sure if the Apache portion makes it a different program or what.
#1390097 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 am
Well for anyone coming upon this, do NOT download from the above link. My son did this morning and has been having problems all day long. Missing files, missing programs. I don't really understand how but this download messed up a bunch of things.

We even tried to restore to a previous restore point and that won't work. It is asking him to disable his antivirus in order to complete the restore. Has anyone ever heard of such a request? I told him to wait until we can talk with someone who knows.
#1390099 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 am
Sharon,

That is the right address for open office and it shouldn't have caused problems. I used to use open office and I never had any issues. I went to Microsoft Word awhile back as I found it a better program overall. There must be something else going on with your son's computer.

I assume you uninstalled the open office first and then did a reboot? BTW when I uninstall a program I use revo uninstaller. It does a cleaner uninstall to get rid of all the little crap that windows leaves behind. It is also free although you can upgrade to a paid version. I've used it for years and never felt the need for an upgrade.

Not sure what happened here but hopefully you ran a full virus scan etc. to make sure no gremlins were let in.

Cheers,

Doug C.