Ideas for digital products. What sells? What doesn't? What are you doing to increase sales, improve ROI, and Conversion Rates? Are you doing ebooks (hey, Kindle?), downloads, online courses/consulting, webinars, recordings, or ...? If it's digitized and you plan on monetizing it, this is the SBI! forum for you.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1390760 by Nancy C from Elk Grove Village
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 pm
I decided to try formatting an e-book I've been selling as a pdf on my site into a Kindle book. I'd like advice on two things:

1. I'm not understanding how much or how little I should worry about photo placement. Reading Amazon's own guide to formatting for Kindle, it just says photos should be inserted through the menu and not copied and pasted, and says they should be centered. Should I worry about what paragraph they should precede or follow? If I do worry about that, will the Kindle formatting follow the way I set it up? (I'm using Word, if it matters.)

On a related note, does Kindle re-size the photos in any way? I'm assuming I should put them in at an appropriate size. Is that correct?

Yes, when I get to the place where I want to preview on the Kindle platforms, which I hope will happen in the next 72 hours, I can answer this, but it would be so nice to know now.

2. I'm questioning the number of links I have back to my site. Putting in all the appropriate links (which are many) to articles on the site seemed smart back in the time when I was selling an e-book only from my site, but now I'm wondering whether I have too many. Is that possible? I'm using maybe only one or two links to other sites within the text, although I have a concluding resource section that shows the names of other organizations providing useful information, together with the current link.

I figure I have more control over my own links than other people's, so had wanted to keep "outside" links to a minimum. Is that faulty thinking?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
#1390812 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 pm
Hi Nancy,

I've made Kindle books in the past but for the life of me, can't remember about image sizing and placement. However, I do remember being helped by the series of articles about making a Kindle book in MHQ - there's a whole series in the "Egoods creator" section.

This is one that refers directly to formatting and image placement but all of them are very useful.

I have links back to my site all the time in my Kindle books and it doesn't seem to have presented any issues. Personally, I don't link to any other sources now because I ran into problems with their links becoming unavailable - even .gov (in fact, especially .gov! :roll: ) links, and trying to keep the book updated accordingly was a real pain.

Good luck with your sales!

Cath.
#1390819 by Nancy C from Elk Grove Village
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:24 pm
Cath, thanks so much. I wasn't remembering that there was an article in MHQ that I'd read a couple of months ago; I had searched the forums to no avail.

If I had re-read that, I would have saved myself a fair amount of trouble yesterday, when I was re-creating my callout boxes as jpg's.

So I see that my question about images is mostly moot, as Amazon is going to charge me for images, and most of mine are just to break up the boredom of all text and add nothing substantive. Deleting will be the best formatting in this instance.

Thanks to you, I know just what to do.
#1390823 by Dee from Cape Cod
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi Nancy -

Nancy C from Elk Grove Village wrote:So I see that my question about images is mostly moot, as Amazon is going to charge me for images, and most of mine are just to break up the boredom of all text and add nothing substantive. Deleting will be the best formatting in this instance.

Before you abandon your use of images altogether, here's an interesting article you might want to check out:

https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2015/10 ... ur-e-book/

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Dee
#1390861 by Nancy C from Elk Grove Village
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 pm
Thanks, Dee. That's a great article and one I will keep in mind if I do a book project where the images are more essential to the story.

It may yet be worth my while to go back to the great stickie on using Smashwords to produce a variety of formats, as I see that the e-book world is more than PDF and Kindle. It's fun learning this stuff!
#1391024 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:34 pm
When I did my first ebook I used the Tracker Library for all links in the book. That way, if a site changed, or I changed the URL I wanted to reference, I changed it in the TL; and all copies of my ebook automatically used that new link. This is what the TL is for; to help you manage links (but not to be used within your online, spiderable site).

Debs