Using VisionGate, Memberstar and other software to sell "elite" information/content on an admission/membership basis. Ditto for special WordPress membership plugins.
Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
#1343939 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:54 am
My site is all about canning and food preservation. I'm in the process of finishing up a basic canning course. I will be hosting this on another site as sbi doesn't facilitate courses.

I'm thinking about expanding my niche with the secondary site. At first I was going to just keep the domain name very close to simply canning. Then I realized I have all kinds of topics that I'd love to do video courses about, but they are not on canning. Things in the garden, kitchen, chickens etc. all mostly homesteading topics as this is what I know. Canning is a subniche within the homesteading niche.

Does anyone see a downside to using a domain related to homesteading for my canning course and expanding my topics there... using simply canning and the canning course to get traffic to the other courses as well. Or.... should I just stick with the canning theme. I do have ideas for several courses that would fit in with that niche itself as well.

Just need to mull this over with someone!
#1344516 by Laura from Chautauqua
Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:42 am
Hi Sharon,

So, you want to link to some canning courses on another site from your canning site and the other site also has courses other than canning?

Sounds reasonable to me. :-)

I hope that helps,
Laura
#1345145 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 pm
Thanks Laura, :D Still have not decided what to do but.... I'm getting there.

simplycanning . club
or
simply canning club .com
or
simplyhomesteading.com - which I already own and would make it more logical in the long run to add courses that are more than just canning.

Thinking thinking... I'm stuck in ready set, ready set, ready set....
#1356949 by Insurance First from Coatsburg
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:00 pm
Hi Sharon~

Did you have to utilize a wordpress site for your video course or just use the newkajabi? How is it working out for you? It looks great by the way! :D

Is there another platform you would consider now?

Thanks for your help.

Warm Regards,

Wendie Land
#1357056 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 pm
Hi Jackie, I did get http://www.simplycanning.club :)

Wendie, I am currently using new Kajabi but I am moving to thinkific when the subscription is done. (January) I'm in the process of rebuilding at thinkific.

New Kajabi is beautiful! but it really is more than I needed. It is set up so you can have your entire business built within it. It marketed itself as being drag and drop simple but I have not found it to be so. It was frustrating to me. I hired one of their recommended VA's to help me set up and that was a disappointment as well. The final straw is, am not selling enough courses to pay the monthly subscription. I concluded that for me it was a mistake.

Thinkific is less expensive and simpler. Not as many features as NK but I did not use a lot of what NK offers. New Kajabi does have the feature of commenting on each lesson in your course that I'll be losing going to Thinkific but I love that Thinkific can be a subdomain of my main site. New Kajabi had some security measures that apparently doesn't play nice with infinite. It is a good trade off for me. And Thinkific has a free version that I signed up with and I was able to easily build a mini course without frustration.

I hope that helps!
#1369073 by Amelia from Santa Maria
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:20 pm
Hi Sharon,
I wonder if you're still with Thinkific now? I came to the forums looking for a membership option and found your posting about Thinkific. I wonder how you are finding it a few months later?

Cheers,
Amelia
#1369221 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 am
Yes, I am still with Thinkific and I do still like it. If you would like to see what the inside of a course looks like let me know and I can give you membership to my canning course.

The only question I have on thinkific is the site security certificate. That whole issue is confusing to me so rather than try to explain my confusion.... :) here is an article from Thinkific on the upgrades they have planned. http://help.thinkific.com/support/discu ... ics/314751
#1370339 by Amelia from Santa Maria
Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 pm
Thanks Sharon. I've signed up with Thinkific and think that they will be a good, simple fit for me. Security of my course isn't crazy important. It's not like millions of people are looking for fertility assistance or advice. I just want an easy way to offer courses and have the income be streamlined. I appreciate your help! Cheers, Amelia