Using VisionGate, Memberstar and other software to sell "elite" information/content on an admission/membership basis. Ditto for special WordPress membership plugins.
#1390098 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 am
Probably this is not the right place to discuss this topic. But I am sure there are few people keep on listening me here. So I would still like to discuss this topic here.

I have read somewhere in our forums that membership sites are difficult to run. If the technical side is not very difficult to handle, my visitors can land in area of my website by paying few buggs as a one time payment. Anyone who is still handling membership site successfully, please come forward and comment. As someone said, I am looking for a simple one.

I understand that membership sites are based on login. But are there any means to make sure that login informations are not transferred to others.

As far as recreation of the site is concerned, I belive that this is a better idea and it is easier.
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Split to its own thread and moved here from Audio, etc. as this is a totally different topic. Posts need to go to the forum that best matches the original post.
#1390294 by TJ from South Canaan
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 am
Membership sites arent difficult to run. The difficult part can be setting them up.

Depending on what membership platform you go with, they can limit the amount of times a login can be used in a day or limit the number of ip addresses to help with logins being shared around.

You will need another hosting account and membership platform for these types of features or you can use the company hosted membership platforms.

The site will be independent from your SBI website. You wont be able to use the membership site to protect the content on your SBI site.

If your goal is to protect content on your SBI site with a login or just a password, this can be done but it requires some coding. Nothing will be automated like payment, login creation etc. It also isnt very secure.
#1390302 by Andrew from ExquisiteCoasts
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 am
I run a membership section on one of my sites ([Domain Private]/subscribe.html). It is within the main site and certain content on the site is for members only. It works well for me in that, apart from the membership fee, I then have the email address of dedicated fans and can monetise further with things like hotel bookings etc. I find subscribers are very loyal and follow my recommendations.

You'll need to find a payment processor - Paypal is an obvious one. You will also need to set up the technical aspects - I used a SiteSell Pro to set mine up.

Andrew
#1390325 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm
You will need another hosting account and membership platform for these types of features or you can use the company hosted membership platforms.
\

TJ, This is going to be very expensive right ?

The site will be independent from your SBI website. You wont be able to use the membership site to protect the content on your SBI site.

In this case Shall I give a link to the new site from my SBI site ?. Because my SBI site is going to be the "presale" site.

If your goal is to protect content on your SBI site with a login or just a password, this can be done but it requires some coding. Nothing will be automated like payment, login creation etc. It also isnt very secure.

You mean an independent site for this purpose is much secure than setting the privacy in the present SBI site?

Thank you.
#1390327 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Andrew,

I also want to setup a life long one time membership.

You'll need to find a payment processor - Paypal is an obvious one. You will also need to set up the technical aspects - I used a SiteSell Pro to set mine up.

Paypal is ok. Did your site still belong to SBI or totally independent ?. I could not find the SBI name at the footer of your site.

Thank you
#1390332 by Andrew from ExquisiteCoasts
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 pm
Did your site still belong to SBI or totally independent ?

Yes, mine is an SBI! site
#1390334 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Yes, mine is an SBI! site

If you are happy with the membership site related security issues, I would also go for it. I would like to stick with SBI. I am planning to go on with "Move It" with 302 option. I will start rebuilding my site with the new name park it and will contact SiteSell Pro to setup mine too. If you can give me further guidelines regarding this...

Very greateful to you.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply
#1390335 by Andrew from ExquisiteCoasts
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm
I would suggest you contact SiteSell Professionals. They will help you with everything you need and tell you how many hours of time it would need.
#1390382 by TJ from South Canaan
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 am
Madathil from Maghribiyah wrote:
\

TJ, This is going to be very expensive right ?

That depends on what expensive is to you. It can cost anywhere from $5 - $15 a month for hosting. Some membership platforms have a flat fee of $99 or $199 to get their software to install on your hosting. Others may charge a monthly fee of $19.95 - $29.95 a month.

If you go this route, you will have a lot of features and security with automation at your fingertips.

In this case Shall I give a link to the new site from my SBI site ?. Because my SBI site is going to be the "presale" site.

Yes, you will create links from your SBI site to your new site you setup. You can set it up with its own domain name that you will choose at your hosting company or you can give it a subdomain with your SBI site like this members.remembering-your-keyboard-shortcuts.com. With this, you will still link from your SBI site to your new domain name that shares your SBI site.

You mean an independent site for this purpose is much secure than setting the privacy in the present SBI site?

Thank you.

If you use your SBI site as your membership site, this is what you get.
1. You use SBI to create the pages and create links to each of the SBI pages that should be hidden (part of the membership area). You also can link to non protected pages.
2. You will get some html tags in html reusable blocks to put your content in that hides it from someone not "logged in". It will protect them.
3. People that "login" can stay logged in so they don't have to keep typing a password.

Here are things you will have to do
1. Already mentioned you will have to make sure to use the html tags to create the protected area.
2. create passwords manually for your users and upload them to your site. If you want to, you could have a username and password. Since this method isn't secured and the login/passwords are publicly available if someone knows how to find them, don't allow the user to give you a username and password. Make it up for them so any they user don't get accidentally get leaked.
3. When your customer submits a payment, you will have to email them the link to the member page and send them the password to access.
4. If someone shares their password with anyone else, you will never know and can't control it. If you want, you can change the passwords at anytime and send them to your members.
5. If this is a reoccurring membership charge, you have to manually collect the money and change the passwords to keep people out if they didn't pay.

I created this over 6 months ago for Andrew and as he stated, it is working well for what he wanted.

If you go with a membership site that you host a company hosts, you get a lot of features.
1. Automation - Customers pay, they setup their own user name and password to get access, if they stop paying, they get cutoff.
2. Secure - usernames and passwords aren't accessed unless they have the admin login to see them.
3. Customer management area
4. Email all your customers
5. possible plugins for other features

If you contact the pros, you can ask for me. We can talk about what you would like done and I can show you a demo of it working.
#1390400 by Andrew from ExquisiteCoasts
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 am
I am very happy with the work TJ did for me - great job :-)

I use the subscriber section of the website in conjunction with a Facebook group for members only. That provides me with an easy way to communicate with all members and allows them to interact in a similar way to a forum.

Andrew
#1390407 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm
Dear TJ & Andrew,

I will make a decision very soon and still want to communicate with you two regarding this. But from both of your communcations my confdence level to stick with a membership site concept is gone up . Over the last few months I had struggled a lot thinking that how to monetize my site.

I was thinking to create a downloadable product. But the problems I am going to have with such a creation pointed by several SBI friends here in the forums really opened my eye.

A reply from paul had opend the door for relaxation. When he said I can create giff files, I thought of a membership site and that made us to come to this level.

I want a secure, less headache, easy membership option among the two. I want to concentrate more on the content side (not on the technical side of the membership platform)

You two may still go ahead with more helpful opinions. I want to give a one time membership with around 20 dollars with no chance / less chance of leaking out of login information.

Thanks.
#1390408 by Madathil from Maghribiyah
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm
Sorry, I forgot to add one more thing. Do I have to have a legal advisor when I set up membership platform regarding the issues I may face through. Because money is involved here. At present I am in India, but thinking to move to Dubai in six month period.
#1390428 by Andrew from ExquisiteCoasts
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm
TJ is the guy to talk to with regards to all the technical aspects. I don't think either of us can help with the legal aspects - they are more related to the tax issues you may face because of your place of residence and whether you receive payments as yourself or as company. Perhaps speak to your accountant about that.

Andrew
#1390495 by TJ from South Canaan
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:26 am
Madathil from Maghribiyah wrote:Sorry, I forgot to add one more thing. Do I have to have a legal advisor when I set up membership platform regarding the issues I may face through. Because money is involved here. At present I am in India, but thinking to move to Dubai in six month period.

As far as the legal advisor, that one is not an easy thing to answer because you are relying on legal advise from us. You may want to ask a legal advisor if you need a legal advisor (just a joke).

If you are concerned about setting up a membership because of costs of a legal advisor, I can say there are a lot of membership sites that never had a legal advisor. You just have to think about the risk of your niche to bring harm to someone else that may sue you.

If you have a membership site with helping people with math, that is a far less risk then having a site trying to help someone with their health issues. So it really is something you have to think about of any possible risks and what risk you want to take.