Every now and then, we hold a contest. This is where they happen.

Moderator: A J from Somewhere Hot

#1374584 by ken-admin
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm
Hi to all,

Quickie Preamble...

This whole WA thing has me thinking more about how vulnerable would-be solopreneurs are nowadays. That's true, way more now than it was 20 years ago, when honest marketing was the standard. Sure there were SOME scumbags back then, but far fewer.

--

I get cc's of inbound questions that go to the folks who reply to question.sitesell.com. These 2 just came in, back-to-back...

Looking at other web hosts, they talk about bandwidth, storage space, server types, languages, etc. Where do I find that info in regards to SBI?

Forget domain registration (I can do that dirt cheap for unlimited sites), forget site-building firms (we develop our own websites and can't stand site builders), but we may want hosting, so what does SBI offer with their subscription, THEN, what does SBI do for me after that?

These are real people, folks serious enough to reach out and ask. They are both at a critical fork in the road, and their level of thinking does not bode well. Talk about "Why Do Some Succeed While Others Fail?"!

They reminded me of those who search for reviews about SBI! and find fake reviews by WA affiliates - their own fork in the road.

In all 3 cases, their attention is focused on the wrong things....

1) "bandwidth, storage space, server types, languages, etc."
All hosts (except for Joe and Son Corner Hosting" ;-) are all going to be close enough on tech specs. It's not even a remote factor in BUSINESS SUCCESS. Can we get that person to change the way s/he thinks?

2) "domain registration" + "site builders" + "hosting" -> "what does SBI do for me after that?"
Out of all of sitesell.com, the above 3 generic points were all what this person took away, the parts that matter the least? Can we get that person to change the way s/he thinks?

3) the folks who read a fake review. These folks, I feel worse for because they were lured by a headline in the SERPs and are being "fed a line" that ends in a recommendation that most likely leads to failure.

This one is particularly at-risk - the only "say" we have here is if your reviews "vaccinate" the searcher (as outlined here https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1370750#p1370750 ) OR if our site manages to get that done.

--

We emphasize in the AG how important the first DAYs of it are - they are usually the difference between success and failure, or determine the size of success.

But the BIGGEST "decision moments" happen even before that.

--

Solopreneurs start out so vulnerable, like the baby sea turtles that have been hatching in Anguilla lately. The mortality rate is astronomical.

The first person is caught up in technicalities (missing the forest for the leaves on the trees), the second trying to figure out why they DON'T need SBI! ("I can figure this out for free"), and the last is at the mercy of predators.

THE most disturbing discovery since the "WA story" broke is how scammy it has all become. So many low-lifes are fighting over "easy money." Some work together, sharing "lists."

It's not an area that we pay much attention to - there's nothing in there that we want to teach you! ;-)

Every pre-SBIer reaches a critical fork in the road, that moment in time when your choice determines everything.

What was YOURS, the exact choice you had to make? And what single thing would you tell these folks AND the "past tense you" when YOU were at the fork, to help them choose correctly?

Best answer to the latter question gets 6 free months of SBI!. If we use it on the site, a full year! :-)

All the best,
Ken

P.S. Extra points for humor!
Last edited by ken-admin on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Posted a notice to the SiteSell New/Announcements forum too.
#1374705 by Martin from Big Flats
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 pm
Ken,

Here's what I thought as I read your post...
ken-admin wrote:These are real people, folks serious enough to reach out and ask. They are both at a critical fork in the road, and their level of thinking does not bode well.

When I read any of your posts on these type of issues, I get the impression you have the mindset that (most) people looking at SBI fall into the same type, and/or have the nous to figure out the raison d'etre of SBI.

I don't see it that way.
Here's my take...

In my mind there are many different types of people who look at SBI.

When I first came across SBI I was a little bit web savvy. I'd read and followed a few gurus (by definition, in the MMO arena) but I thought I could figure it out myself and do it cheaper than paying $299 for SBI.

But you don't know what you don't know.

I spent a few years researching online businesses and I knew that I wanted to start a small online business that my wife and I could do from home.
So I had a goal in mind. Eventually "the planets aligned" and I realised that SBI was right for me.

Others though, may have done none or very little research about web sites, online businesses, SBI etc..

Other people may be...

1. Newbies - not web savvy - have heard that they can use the internet to "make some money" and want to try it
2. Non-newbies - been scammed at least once - still looking for the real deal
3. Designers who think about the look of a web site, rather than the traffic/business angle
4. Tech savvy or non tech savvy
5. May be solo, or husband/wife, or a larger group of people, or have an established business etc
6. May be younger or older with different aspirations
7. May or may not understand the difference between paid traffic and search traffic
8. Live in places like USA, Canada, Europe or live in places like Africa, Asia (developing countries appear to lean towards creating MMO sites)

So my question to SBI is...
Who is your customer / Who are you targeting?

In my Solo Build It Review I said that SBI was for the "little guy", the "mom and pop" businesses, because that's what it is to me.
However, I realise that SBI can be adapted for an almost limitless number of business scenarios - but I just tend to think of it in those terms.

So when you say...
In all 3 cases, their attention is focused on the wrong things....

I think you're probably looking at their questions with a different mindset to the person who asked it.

To many people, "bandwidth, storage space, server types, domain names, etc. etc" is the focus of their thoughts - because if you read about creating web sites, that's what you tend to read about every time you do any research.

They may or may not have enough nous to figure out that there's more to it than that. I suspect that many though, initially at least, do not figure it out.

Many people only learn by making their own mistakes and failing. Only then will they be open to receiving the wisdom of others.
Initially they may not be willing to accept the "trust me, I know the right way" approach.

So I think that the questions posed need to be read in the context of the background of the person asking it.
They may have read everything on the SBI web site, or very little.
They may have a clear idea about what they want from a web site / business, or not.

So is the SBI web site targeting it's ideal customer, or "everyone"?

Before the questions from potential customers can be answered, SBI ideally need to know more about the person asking the question.
I don't think a "one size fits all" answer will do the job.

What about using a (simple) flow chart with yes / no answers?
eg.
Are you working alone?
Have you built a web site before?
Have you built an online business before?
(if yes) Did your web site receive more than (100) visitors per day?
(if yes) Did you have to advertise to get those visitors?
etc, etc, etc,
leading to...
"SBI is right for you" OR "SBI is not right for you"

My answer to the questioners would probably be something like...
Here at SBI we take care of all the technological aspect of building an online business so that our customers can focus all their time and energy on the other parts that make the real difference between building a successful business or failing.
However, if the technology we use is vital to your deliberations about SBI, we would be more than happy to discuss them with you.
Please call us on xxxx or let us have your phone number and we'll call you at a convenient time.

My 2c.

Martin
#1374753 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am
Hi Ken

There is so much about Martin’s post I agree with. He had almost written what I would say. Nevertheless, stories and perspectives and nuances are always different so here are my memories and we will see where it goes.

Looking at other web hosts, they talk about bandwidth, storage space, server types, languages, etc. Where do I find that info in regards to SBI?

Forget domain registration (I can do that dirt cheap for unlimited sites), forget site-building firms (we develop our own websites and can't stand site builders), but we may want hosting, so what does SBI offer with their subscription, THEN, what does SBI do for me after that?

I suggest that these are not the wrong way of thinking at all. And certainly, not from their perspective. They would defend their position with all sorts of social proof and their own level of understanding.

For whatever reason, they are convinced they know what to be looking for. They think they know the things they have to know to choose the right service. It was certainly my case and the questions you quote probably reflect the sorts of issues I was considering when I started looking for a product to help us.

To meet them, WE have to enter their reality. In a few seconds! :D

Everyone who comes to SBI comes with some sort of filter. It would be an interesting survey to find out how many actually come with the pre-ordained expectation to run a successful online business.

From the perspective of promoting the SBI! Values, Products, Services and Benefits, I believe we need to view the questions simply as the door via which we can engage them in a transforming conversation.

In the case of myself and Wendy we came looking to make some money because we needed a complete break from what we had been doing. We outline it in her site review; [Domain Private].

The filter was that we had written content sites before for ourselves and clients (someone else had built them for us – very expensive) so we believed we knew what to do. We also had the filter of disliking Wordpress immensely.

But the concept of building an online business? That was never on our horizon And SEO? What’s that?

Nevertheless, we were looking for a space that we could confidently grow and develop. Something must have worked with the learning process because we were even happy to learn and use BB1! It was like a new playground and satisfied us intellectually as we grew.

Unfortunately it took several years of Pandas, Penguins, BB2, a couple of hiatuses and multiple name changes before we felt we had Wendy’s site even close to right. But my point is that once we were hooked we were hooked.

So the thing I would ask is how can those people that are asking the “wrong question” be hooked?

Perhaps the answer is that SBI! has some pages or ads that actually address issues “above the fold” such as domain registration, unlimited bandwidth, etc etc? Only because that is the problem these visitors are trying to solve!

Solve their problem then sell the rest.

Once hooked, how are they reeled in? In my case the concept of having the knowledge on how to attract free traffic hooked me. It was a completely revolutionary idea.

And even though it was 7 years ago I would assert that this is still a revolutionary idea today. While they zig (quick registrations, instant website, just add water) SBI! needs to Zag - (solid online success that lasts!)

So – how to captivate them?

I really like Martins flow chart idea; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374705#p1374705 and a similar idea can actually be executed with video as well. Some will be captivated and some won’t. The key is to be inspiring and not make the competition wrong.

I would also like to suggest a simple page with a basic Brainstorm Functionality (or even their planned URL) that enables visitors to type in a site concept and get a list of keywords. I realise that they can get similar things other ways but are there any competitors offering such a thing? An accompanying explanation/video that explains what it means and how it is the tip of the iceberg with a call to action would help too.

Then – once they are hooked, how do you care for them in the first few months?

At the moment it feels like the process to really get on top of building an online business is survival of the fittest. I love the Action Guide but I think a higher level of care than currently exists is required to support those that fall at the first hurdle of difficulty.

From a financial perspective this may not be practical and so may not be regarded as worthwhile but it’s what I’d do.

Every pre-SBIer reaches a critical fork in the road, that moment in time when your choice determines everything.

What was YOURS, the exact choice you had to make?

To trust all the signs that this could be the right place for us. I still remember it to this day. I had researched to the nth degree and the time to make a step had come!

And what single thing would you tell these folks AND the "past tense you" when YOU were at the fork, to help them choose correctly?

When you build a website you need to be thinking of those you want to find and use it.
Are you giving them the best chance to find you? Find out with Site Build It!
90 day no risk trial.

Avoid lost traffic, lost income, lost time and disappointment
Instead, give yourself the best chance to build a successful online presence.
90 day no risk trial.

Turn your website into a profitable online business

Interesting question. Thanks for bringing it up
Paul
#1374810 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 pm
SBI always seemed to be too good to be true to me. Back when I joined, forums were where you went to find 'real' information (except there were always sharks everywhere looking for easy prey). Now, I suppose social media is where you go.

My advice to anyone on the cusp is to read the SBI forums to get 'real information' about real people building real businesses. You'll come to the conclusion that those hundreds of thousands (millions?) of posts couldn't be faked.

Vicki
#1375041 by Alvin from Lara
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm
ken-admin wrote:... what single thing would you tell these folks AND the "past tense you" when YOU were at the fork, to help them choose correctly?

Simplicity... Clarity... Direction... The more you forget these by...

- obsessing with technology, and
- overlooking that doing "honest" business with people--like you-- is what matters most...

... the more you'll feel lost and empty.

So choose somebody who's ready to help you succeed online, by offering you those things.

Alvin
#1375059 by Mary from Newfields
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm
Hi Ken,
I shall never forget the day that I read a review about SBI that was titled "Are You Inspired to Change Your Life?". I was at work sitting in my cubicle at a job that paid quite nicely but it wasn't what I wanted to do day in and day out. I was searching for something Dave and I could do together that would give us more freedom to spend time with family and to break away from a work schedule that wasn't of our choosing. We wanted to spend our days doing something we both enjoyed more.

I actually had some web experience as I had worked on my company's Intranet. So I understood some HTML, images, links and those nuts and bolts. I knew how to setup a basic website, but I really knew nothing about creating a business.

The SBI article addressed things that I had never even thought. Things that ultimately are the real bread and butter of our business - like how to even begin to choose a niche, how to know what to write about, how to layout web pages that the search engines will find friendly, how to make our information real and personable, and to focus on our readers rather than on the money. It was (and is) laid out like a wonderful road map so we knew exactly where to begin. And choosing a domain name was not the first thing, which typically it would have been in my mind.

We were at the fork, yes, to decide whether to go with what I knew for free or to pay $299 annually to have a tried and true road map for creating a true business, with a supportive community. Actually I was so excited when I read that review of SBI that I couldn't wait to get home and tell Dave about it. It was that feeling of just knowing that this is the path we would choose. It surprises me that people balk at $299 as it's such a small price for what we get and we can earn it back in a day or two with our business. I mean really, folks. What other business owners can recoup their expenses that quickly?

I can write this with authority because we have had our business since 2009 and we have earned our living from our business since May of 2010 (when I left my corporate cubicle). I can undoubtedly say that the decision to go with SBI is the reason that our business took off and still flourishes today. We followed SBI's action guide pretty much every step of the way.

If we had to do it all over, we would definitely go with Solo Builld It again. To me, it has made all the difference between really having something to show for all of our work versus something that was exciting to start with and just fizzled. For sure we give a lot of attention to our business and have put in many hours of work over the years, but it's clearly one of the best decisions we ever made.

Nobody is paying me to say this; I just wish that more people could enjoy their work lives as much as we do. We have much more freedom than most of our friends simply because our business is something we can take with us anywhere. And we have done exactly that. We have traveled for fun, to help our family and to take photos for our business. We were able to be with our family for several weeks after my brother-in-law died in a car accident.. We've been able to visit our son and his family who is with the US Air Force - dozens of times over the years. We've setup our laptops on beaches, back yards, on our porch, in cafes and anywhere we visit.

I have always felt that SBI puts its customers first and they want us to succeed. That day I read that article from my cubicle back in 2008 was a life-changing day for me. Yes, I was inspired to change my life and yes, we have done exactly that. We took action, followed the road map for creating a business, put in the sweat equity and it's been a great decision. We do have ups and downs as you will with any business, but we have never looked back. Not one single day.

Thanks much!
Mary and Dave
#1375369 by ken-admin
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 pm
Hi to all,

Catching up on this thread of 8 days ago. Only a few replies, but it's primo material. 👍 👍

I call the issue, "the baby sea turtle" dilemma, a metaphor for the life of non-SBI! solopreneurs. Most baby sea turtles are devoured or otherwise die within days, way before they reach a size (and, I guess, a level of survival experience) where their odds for a long (and happy? 🐢 ) life goes way up.

Pre-SBIers die for all kinds of reasons, even when they know about SBI!. They don't know it, but their odds are ridiculously low.

Very few succeed when they "figure it out on my own," as our upcoming studies will show (again, all studies will be reproducible, just like the WA study). And when they get sucked into MMO, the results are horrible.

And it's not just "make money" schemes. Our preliminary first-pass results before we repeat and publish full studies (lead man is on vacation) are all bad - Wix, Weebly, GodDaddy, WordPress (with and without Yoast)...

It's all a fraction of what SBI! help folks do, with some interesting results from WP that bodes well for SBI! with WP.

Serious solopreneurs, from beginners to savvy, should be banging our door down. I must be the world's worst marketer if I can't connect the best/only product of its kind with the huge need!

And WA has opened my eyes to that.

So what goes wrong? Pre-SBIers reach critical forks in the road, that moment in time when your choice determines everything and then most go out and choose the wrong thing.

Then they leave our site and get devoured. I outlined 3 types of solopreneurs who focus on the wrong things (the techie, the feature-focused, and the fake-review-misled) after receiving 2 emails to question.sitesell.com team.

There are so many more, but the bottom line is that, at some point in their process of which product to use to help them with their business, they get misled into low-odds product (our studies will show that everything is low - the only difference is HOW LOW).

So I asked...

What was YOUR fork in the rod, the exact choice you had to make? And what single thing would you tell folks to help them choose correctly?

--

Martin from [Domain Private]
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374705#p1374705

Martin has written an [url=[Domain Private]/solo-build-it-review.html]excellent, high-ranking, SBI! review[/url]. Solid rankings!🎉

He also had some top-notch observations in his post. First a correction because, Martin, I agree with this completely...

There are many different types of people who look at SBI.

Each person is a unique combination of life history, personal traits, current circumstances and particular goals that matter to THEM (the only goals that matter, the ones that drive).

We're on the same page there, including that the infinite variety can be summarize into 15-20 "types," similar to the way you listed 8 in your post...

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374705#p1374705

--

I chuckled when you said...

When I first came across SBI I was a little bit web savvy. I'd read and followed a few gurus (by definition, in the MMO arena) but I thought I could figure it out myself and do it cheaper than paying $299 for SBI.

I always cringed when folks called me a "guru" for the exact reason that you note - I too equated that with MMO. Thankfully, there are way more "guru-y" people nowadays! I'm surprised that no one sells a "How to Be a Guru" course by now. ;-)

But back to "types," the above is definitely a great fit with SBI!. As you mention, they almost NEED to be humbled by the high likelihood of failure. As you said...

"But you don't know what you don't know."

Failing once or twice either opens your eyes or convinces you that it's not possible. It has way more impact. For some, the message on SiteSell.com resonates, so they remember and come back to it, perhaps ready to absorb the message.

Others give up. The biggest shame is the folks who have been misled by fake reviews of SBI! They were so close. And now I can say, without it being "opinion," that the odds are overwhelming at how likely they were to do better with SBI!.

It's a tragic fork in the road, because WA indoctrinates that they're the best so much, without a shred of proof, that few seem to come back to SBI! after they fail.

And you are right - SBI! is right for just about every "type." That makes it very hard to target.

So I like your idea of "flow-charting folks" with a series of questions that enable us to add a very precise message about what SBI! can do for them.

Starting off like that would set a specific context for folks to read the rest of the site. We used to have a page that listed 12 or so "types" and how SBI! applied to them.

Nice idea! The main challenge is overcoming the "it's just a sales tactic"

I also like the answer to "the techie" that you would have written. Don't get me wrong about my observation. The team at question.sitesell.com won't say, "Geez, don't you know that isn't important?" ;-) They'll always address specific concerns, including a link to...

http://webhosting.sitesell.com

It was just one of many possible forks in the road at which you can lose folks for all the wrong reasons. Your idea may be a good one to try.

I've sent it to Al. It feels vaguely familiar. If we haven't done it before, would you like to give it a whirl and develop it?

P.S. You added, re: how you ended up with SBI!, that...

I spent a few years researching online businesses and I knew that I wanted to start a small online business that my wife and I could do from home. So I had a goal in mind. Eventually "the planets aligned" and I realized that SBI was right for me.

Aside from the planets aligning ( ;-) ), do you remember why you finally decided, "yes, SBI! is the way to go."

Super post, Martin!

More to come to other posts!

All the best,
Ken
#1375371 by ken-admin
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 pm
Hi to all,

Part 2 of my replies to this thread...

Paul from [Domain Private]
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374753#p1374753

Uh-oh, I'm starting to see a pattern. I'm agreeing with you, too, Paul, about disagreeing with something that I didn't mean to imply.

Their issues are perfectly valid. The mere existence of ANY worry makes them so.

But when I post here, talking to you, it's from a different point of view...

It's silly to lose them for all the wrong reasons. THEY don't know they are "wrong," but we do. THAT's their fork in the road - hmmm, I guess baby sea turtles don't actually take to the road. ;-)

No website can address every possible question/sticking point. We used to have a FAQ that went on forever. Replacing it with question.sitesell.com had a dramatically strong AB-split test. We interpreted the results as follows....

Few were digging into the FAQ, but question.sitesell.com was obvious. If it was important enough, they'd ask. Adding question.sitesell.com was even stronger than having BOTH (i.e., remove the FAQ)!

Nothing is perfect, but it's our best way of answering countless possible "individual worries."

But I agree with you both 100% - my point in the forums, that these type of worries persist after 20+ years, is only a "wow" from MY POV. It amazes me when I think about it...

SBI! has evolved so far, it's unrecognizable from its original format (DAY 6-10 for affiliates). DAYS 1-5 with Brainstormer added as a second iteration (they used the first half of the Affiliate Masters Course for DAYs 1-5 before that).

When we launched the 2nd version (full 10 DAYs), so many folks realized that they had made mistakes with niche, etc that they wanted to change domain. We took that expense and let them start over again. It was, until we did "The Study," the most dramatic demonstration of the importance of PROCESS, especially DAYS 1-5.

Look at how far we have come. It is more and more frequent to grow a well-rounded business that can use any monetization model with increasing levels of income AND EQUITY.

In fact, the solopreneur, once traffic and brand has been established, can evolve into a full-blown entrepreneur.

Entrepreneurs needs millions to develop a product, build brand and traffic, before they make sales. Solopreneurs can do it by building traffic and brand first.

As I've said, Nori could grow tremendous income and equity by purchasing a small hotel, or starting an Anguilla-inspired fashion line. And hundreds of SBIers have passed her in traffic - within a year or two, many will catch up with her in social.

When you look at that big picture, how far this has all come...

When someone worries about any one of a number of questions ("how many sites") is another, I tend to shake my head in amazement at how folks can be led in other directions that have so little to do with actual online business success.

But how we answer those questions is totally different from the level of information that they gather from Web hosts (it's all technical), or Wix (it's all about "stunning") or WA (it's all about fake reviews).

Hope that makes more sense.

I agree with you both - we DO have to be aware of all the different realities out there. It's why I like Martin's idea - it provides a pretty good way to, as you said, Paul to...

"ENTER THEIR REALITY." :-)

--

And you and Wendy do that [url=[Domain Private]/solo-build-it-review.html]wonderfully in your review of SBI.[/url] It, too, ranks well (#15).

A quick note on reviews - I'm surprised at how quickly we re-established many SBI! reviews into the Top 20. Remember...

NOT ONE OF YOU HAS ESTABLISHED ANY AUTHORITY IN THIS NICHE. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. RIEN. ❌

This was getting overrun by fake Solo Build It! reviews. It would soon have been as bad as the other two review terms ("Site" and "SBI!").

If you read the reviews, what stands out is that they are muscular. 💪 Big, strong, honest reviews by real users. They show both an understanding of the reader while explaining their own experience, along with the strengths of SBI!, honestly and clearly.

There's still a long road to go to achieve 500 sites and flooding out those fake reviews for "Site Build It!" and "SBI!" reviews, not to mention go on the offensive and start to grow again.

SBIsland🌴 is very real in my mind. In a space that has become totally corrupted, a place for solopreneurs where success is increasingly the norm, where we can stop growing completely and put 100% of our efforts of ALL SiteSellers' focus on quality and results - that's mind-blowing.

It's only thanks to WA (and Trafeze, which pointed out how few solopreneurs rank in the Top 1,000,000) that my thinking has morphed into this concept.

It's not about building a BIG business. It's about the best, except it's not "just" about delivering the best results. We already do that, by far. BUT...

Why not make "best" into "bester and bester?" Actually, SBI! has even done that over the years. Even during the dark years of Panda and Penguin, no one matched our results. High-traffic solos were slammed more widely.

But since then, since mid-2013, the gap has grown. But once we have the resources through growth, why not become "the bestest of bestest" - it's about refusing to accept limits if YOU do.

I have big, expensive ideas for that. And we'll talk about it some more another day. But I leave you with that on this thought...

Why accept limits? Why get dragged down by all the slugs? This is do-able if SBIers and SiteSellers join to create our own virtuous circle...

REAL SBI! reviews > more SBIers > more revenues for SBI! > faster-bigger improvements > more success > More REAL reviews....

and round and round THAT grows, while stopping WA from hurting solopreneurs and our reputation.

--

Right now, though, we need everyone's help with reviews. Threads like this, figuring out how to break through all the crud online, are helpful - I appreciate the input for its different POV.

--

Getting back to this thread, Paul, you re-formulated my question well...

So the thing I would ask is how can those people that are asking the “wrong question” be hooked?

First, Paul, before I forget...

Back to the exact factor where you clicked and said, "Yes, SBI!" You said...

To trust all the signs that this could be the right place for us.

Do you remember the alternatives? What clicked to cause that trust?

--

The problem of what to put "above the fold" is always a tricky question. I may have misled your thinking - the "wrong" questions that I outlined in my posts are outliers.

We used to compete with web hosting. That's why the above page even exists. There was a crazy-detailed comparison chart. But that issue has grown smaller - still a question, but not big enough for that valuable real estate.

--

I do like your idea of possibly pushing the flow chart with video...

I really like Martins flow chart idea; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374705#p1374705 and a similar idea can actually be executed with video as well. Some will be captivated and some won’t. The key is to be inspiring and not make the competition wrong.

--

Your idea of more intensive, I assume you mean human-based, 1-on-1 help is only "SBIsland"-possible. The forums do handle most issues in the first 5 DAYS.

We lose 15-20% in the first 3 months, almost all due to "too much work." And that's OK - it takes work to build a business. Head of Support has never fed back to me a recurring issue of "does not understand."

I would not be surprised if some, in fact, are stuck, but working out an involved protocol (there's more to it when you start to think it through - do-able, but tricky) for figuring out who to help, and when, would only be a priority as we get close to "island status." :-)

--

Interesting "fork in the road" messaging!

Thanks very much, Paul.

Some really helpful thinking!

All the best,
Ken
#1375373 by ken-admin
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm
Hi to all,

This catches me up on a great thread - but I'm always open to more great thinking! :-)

--

Vicki from [Domain Private]
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1374810#p1374810

We have some links to the forums from the site because they are, I agree, wonderful demonstrations of the PEOPLE in this community.

And regarding the number. Your post was #1,374,810! :-)

--

Alvin from [Domain Private]
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1375041#p1375041

Only an SBIer could see "Simplicity... Clarity... Direction" in the Action Guide.

Sometimes, more is less.

It does not feel like that at first, of course. The AG is funny that way. Once you complete it, the amount you have learned is high and the whole thing somehow seems simple.

That's the way that teaching method is supposed to work.

Meanwhile...

One ridiculous WA review (ranks in search results) bought SBI! just so he could re-dump on it. He called it too complex and therefore still prefers WA.

What he ignores totally in that review is that it's the depth of coverage that leads to the results of The Study...

http://www.sitesell.com/wealthy-affiliate-review.html

Their process is superficial, quick and misses coverage of some important points. It's much easier, but "easy" won't cut it.

Our messaging is the opposite. It's NOT easy.

But it's simple. Each little step is DOable. Some can take quite a while to get it right. But each step in a step-by-step way leads to the execution of a larger task, one of several within a DAY, which is the completion of 1 of 10 STAGES.

It won't "work" if you lack BAM!💥

Thanks for that observation, Alvin!

--

Mary from [Domain Private]
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1375059#p1375059

Mary, I loved your story in the blog...

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/04/tw ... house.html

... especially because it followed this one from Janice...

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/03/so ... iness.html

And thank you for your mega-review, too!...

[Domain Private]

[Domain Private]

[Domain Private]

This relatively new feature, presenting the human side of current SBI! stories and including takeaway lessons, is my favorite part of SiteSell.com. Everyone talks about a new story when it comes out

These 2 stories are both inspiring, but what I really liked was how Janice has to go back 40 years to find her niche. You had to look out the back door.

Some SBIers get hung up when we push, push, push to find a niche that works. Some aren't so happy when we backtrack them when DAY 3 or 4 doesn't work out.

But trust me - it's a lot better than ending up pitching "make money" schemes. 🙄

--

Your post was terrific. I loved the motivation...

I was searching for something Dave and I could do together that would give us more freedom to spend time with family and to break away from a work schedule that wasn't of our choosing. We wanted to spend our days doing something we both enjoyed more.

And this is what I was looking for..

We were at the fork, yes, to decide whether to go with what I knew for free or to pay $299 annually to have a tried and true road map for creating a true business, with a supportive community. Actually I was so excited when I read that review of SBI that I couldn't wait to get home and tell Dave about it.

It was that feeling of just knowing that this is the path we would choose. It surprises me that people balk at $299 as it's such a small price for what we get and we can earn it back in a day or two with our business. I mean really, folks. What other business owners can recoup their expenses that quickly?

Our messaging just clicks with some people. We're on that exact wavelength. The results are almost predictable, you are just so ready to follow it to a tee....

I can write this with authority because we have had our business since 2009 and we have earned our living from our business since May of 2010 (when I left my corporate cubicle). I can undoubtedly say that the decision to go with SBI is the reason that our business took off and still flourishes today. We followed SBI's action guide pretty much every step of the way.

"Impact" doesn't have to be this big, but it excites the heck out of us...

We have much more freedom than most of our friends simply because our business is something we can take with us anywhere. And we have done exactly that.

We have traveled for fun, to help our family and to take photos for our business. We were able to be with our family for several weeks after my brother-in-law died in a car accident..

We've been able to visit our son and his family who is with the US Air Force - dozens of times over the years. We've setup our laptops on beaches, back yards, on our porch, in cafes and anywhere we visit.

Mary, did you search for reviews or have any doubts? Or did the whole thing just make that much sense for you?

Thanks very much for that, AND the review! :-)

--

OK, that catches me up. Martin is in the lead with best suggestion, one which we'll discuss internally. We may add a video component or do it all in video.

I'll discuss it with the team.

Thanks very much for this primo material!

I'd love it if you have the time to answer any questions above. And always interested in the thoughts of more SBIers. :-)

All the best,
Ken
#1375387 by Mary from Newfields
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:31 pm
Ken, I really appreciate you commenting on our posts; it is encouraging to know you've read what we have written. And it means a lot coming from the head honcho!

You are welcome for our story in the blog and our 'mega' review (which we wrote a long time ago, I must admit, but still relevant today indeed). I have a ton of passion for our business and partnering with SBI to turn it into something real.

To answer your questions:

Yes, it just took one review of SBI to sell us on going with SBI. The article I read in 2008 was written by Ralph Marston of GreatDay.com. I have told him several times how his little advertisement that read "Are You Inspired to Change Your Life?" and the complementary post had a huge impact on me and all the days that has followed.

But then, as you know, back in 2008 the 'noise' out there wasn't as loud as today, nor as much of it. So it was an easy yes for us. I just knew that it jived with us.

I know, too, that I was somewhat "presold" on SBI prior to reading Ralph Marston's article, but I hadn't paid a lot of attention to what I was seeing "yet". I knew it was there but hadn't delved into it.

I totally agree with you, Ken, that the Action Guide is not necessarily easy. No, it's a lot of work. But heck, that's what has made the difference for us. And still today we are working our buns off on our business, but on our own terms. We can drop everything when we want and go do something we enjoy. It's that flexibility that's the best part. We give our business attention but we also can give other parts of our lives attention when we want or need to.

Hope that answers your questions. I am always happy to share our experience. It hasn't been without ups and downs, believe me, so I never wish to paint a story of a road paved in gold. It's a real road with great road signs and awesome views along the way - but we've hit detours and storms as well. I just know that overall it has been great and we'd do it all over again. More than anything we are grateful for we've learned and put into practice.
#1375406 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 am
Hi Ken

What I was getting at was the hesitating factor for me was suspicion, the suspicion that SBI was a Potemkin village. Reading forum threads was proof for me that it was the real deal.

Here's an idea, why don't you put a couple of links to "best of forums" threads, ones where the posters are excited and motivated about the topic.

Vicki
#1375417 by John from Greenock
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:00 am
My first reaction to the question ... #1 what is your bandwidth etc is "Give him the data" --
* "Dear sir, you can find our bandwidth blah-blah by going here etc ..." or
* "Dear Sir, Unless you are the NSA, we have sufficient bandwidth for you."

#2 question, I can do it cheaper, belligerent what can you do for me ..
* "Dear Sir, Please go do it cheaper. I doubt there is anything you will find acceptable from us."

The upshot? Life is too short to get twisted up. Just answer the questions and make sure they know the way to the door.
#1375496 by Martin from Big Flats
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:13 pm
ken-admin wrote:Aside from the planets aligning ( ;-) ), do you remember why you finally decided, "yes, SBI! is the way to go."

The very short answer is "no".
(My defence is that it was 11 years ago!)

I think it was because I'd achieved top Google search rankings with my first web site for "local" table tennis players without really "trying" to do that.

I'd created a web site in order to publish and distribute all the local table tennis results and I organised the site into what I thought was a logical structure.

Then, at some point in time, I remember doing a Google search for "Poole table tennis" and my site showed up as number one.

I was really pleased with myself when I saw that!

So, probably, when I read about SBI's "keep it real" and "site blueprint based on keywords", etc, that's what chimed the most with me.

Having achieved top Google search rankings by just being natural and real, I was convinced that SBI was the way to go.

I think I already knew about keywords (and how best to rank pages according to the "gurus"), but to see my site being ranked number one after just "keeping it real" was confirmation that the SBI process was the way to go.

I was also aware of "black hat seo" being discussed and used, and thought to myself that this was all very short-term trickery.

I also knew that I wanted "passive" income, rather than get involved with "hard goods".

I think I was finally tipped over the edge by the "2 for 1" offer at Christmas!

==========================================

ken-admin wrote:Martin is in the lead with best suggestion

Can we stop now! Ha, Ha. :lol::lol:

ken-admin wrote:If we haven't done it before, would you like to give it a whirl and develop it?

Hmmm, not sure I'd be the right person, but I'm happy to contribute.

I initially thought that it should be very simple, very short and to the point.
Something like...

Martin
#1375705 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:01 am
Hi Ken

Replying to your reply; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1375371#p1375371
It's silly to lose them for all the wrong reasons. THEY don't know they are "wrong," but we do.
I smiled at this. This is such a classic line from all sales people who KNOW they have the best product for everyone. :D I don't mean any criticism - I constantly say that to myself when I talk about SBI! and other things - but that same passion and certainty has absolutely hobbled me many many times over the years because the minute someone says "oh I'm only interested in something simple that..." or " what about" or "I only want a website so I can be found (!?!?)..." I can quickly lose focus on the main game because of a volcano of frustration erupts. "DON"T THEY SEE?????"

I remember learning years ago that when the emotion rises, the logic drops - or - put another way, high emotion, low power. Pretty difficult to separate the frustration out sometimes as I am sure you know. :wink:
No website can address every possible question/sticking point. We used to have a FAQ that went on forever. Replacing it with question.sitesell.com had a dramatically strong AB-split test. We interpreted the results as follows....

Few were digging into the FAQ, but question.sitesell.com was obvious. If it was important enough, they'd ask. Adding question.sitesell.com was even stronger than having BOTH (i.e., remove the FAQ)!

Nothing is perfect, but it's our best way of answering countless possible "individual worries."
Yep. I'd have thought the FAQ would still have a place - at least for the SEO benefits. I'm constantly surprised how it is such a common and almost expected part of the syntax in webland. Maybe get the clients to answer the questions (text and visually) rather than just have the 'official' version.

I agree with you both - we DO have to be aware of all the different realities out there. It's why I like Martin's idea - it provides a pretty good way to, as you said, Paul to...

"ENTER THEIR REALITY." :-)

Martin would be a worthy winner with the flow chart.

You had written somewhere recently that SBI! is an enabler. You have far more talented people at marketing in the team than me!, but I reckon that this thought process could be extended to the sales experience as well. Ultimately you are enabling the visitors to make a decision.

I've recently become a great fan of Isaac Rudansky who has a 20m promo video about landing page design; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DgXMCpBOA4 (I'm currently working through the course which is a steal at $15).

Rudansky talks about sales being about influencing behaviour (nothing new there) and so anything in our marketing that provides a context where it it simply assists for them to change their behaviour, the better!

There has been a significant improvement in the landing pages over the last year which I hope is being reflected in sales but I'd say a flow chart could really add. Of course it is only part of the equation with social proof being another but, it would be invaluable.

And you and Wendy do that [url=[Domain Private]/solo-build-it-review.html]wonderfully in your review of SBI.[/url] It, too, ranks well (#15).

Thank you - I was worried it may be overkill so showed it to Mike.

Deleted...
A quick note on reviews -

REAL SBI! reviews > more SBIers > more revenues for SBI! > faster-bigger improvements > more success > More REAL reviews....

and round and round THAT grows, while stopping WA from hurting solopreneurs and our reputation.

I get the first part. The second part? I'm hoping you will agree when I say that I'm not really sure that WA is the problem here - just the symptom.

Another great thing I learned years ago and works for me is that "Communication is the response you get". If that is even close to be correct, successful engagement is all about SiteSell getting the message out in a way that connects and inspires. There's a book that could be written on that and I have no insight into your stats and research but my viewpoint sitting on the outside tells me that the answer is going to be a consistent, high quality expansion by internal team members focussing on specific niches and social platforms. As well as reviews, posts and conversations, the SBI! monthly report on xyz - podcast, video, PFD etc. It is definitely volume but it is also a committed, consistent quality.

I've really noticed the quality of the FB posts in recent months but I hope there is a platform for much more - delivered in multiple environments in different ways. Challenges such as the current Pinterest and others could be leveraged one way or another.

I like SBI! island (Jay Abraham's Paddy Lund - the Australian Dentist who closed his doors comes to mind) but I can't see the goal being achieved in a sensible timeline at the current rate of marketing output.

In the end, I would assume (no facts here) that beating WA and anyone else while achieving your goal requires a focus that that initiates quality conversations about online business across multiple platforms and engages a broader, quality audience who are willing to switch or try for the first time.

Right now, though, we need everyone's help with reviews. Threads like this, figuring out how to break through all the crud online, are helpful - I appreciate the input for its different POV.

Again - I don't know the stats but you will know that there will only be a % of people who will sit and write a review so that is a hurdle that needs to be jumped. The one Wendy and I did took about 2 days of writes, re-writes, formulating ideas etc and I'l bet some I have seen took just as long and longer.

The other factor is that it is often difficult to write about something that has become so unconscious and part of your life. Someone may be passionate about their online business subject matter but not be able to passionately write about the enabler that helped get them there.

Back in another life I often got around this by interviewing people for content. When you ask the right questions the answers will just pop out when least expected. The complication here is that the reviews will need to be real but actually providing a way for SBIers to express the core content which can be then provided for them as a transcript (even as an interview format) may be a way around some of the hurdles.

It would even be conceivable to create the interviews as videos or parts of podcasts or other formats and have them as real SBI reviews. They would obviously be on the SBI! YT channel but could actually also be on an SBIers own page. There are nuances but that's the idea.
--

Getting back to this thread, Paul, you re-formulated my question well...

See above...

First, Paul, before I forget...

Back to the exact factor where you clicked and said, "Yes, SBI!" You said...

To trust all the signs that this could be the right place for us.

Do you remember the alternatives? What clicked to cause that trust?

The only alternative we really had was paying someone a fortune to do the building or Wordpress. We had already nearly slashed our wrists with WP and the other wasn't really something we wanted to do if someone else wasn't paying! Had already done that twice and blown the $$.

So we weren't looking at anyone else to compare. It was SBI! that introduced the concept of organic search and security and all the things so our minds were sufficiently expanded to keep wading in!

My first awareness of SBI! was Lisa Irby. She provided so much credibility in her communication that I was pretty sold without even looking at the SBI! site. My biggest memory was looking for a lot of 'bad stuff' and although there was the usual junk it held no sway. I liked the concept of a learning environment so really, thought it was worth a go. I was a serious buyer and that probably made the sell easier, instead of being a "maybe yes" which can require a little more social proof or a longer sales cycle.

I do like your idea of possibly pushing the flow chart with video...

You know where I am. :D But seriously - the flow chart format is totally legit and the value is in its simplicity, immediacy and interactivity. The video format I have in mind is quite different to the animation styles SiteSell has relied on in the past so would be quite a shift in approach. There is a high capacity for interactivity as well but it may be that video serves as a support role to a flow chart rather than the 'front door'.

We lose 15-20% in the first 3 months, almost all due to "too much work." And that's OK - it takes work to build a business. Head of Support has never fed back to me a recurring issue of "does not understand."
and
I would not be surprised if some, in fact, are stuck,

I don't know the stats or the process but I am surprized to see the rate that high although maybe I shouldn't be.
Stuck? I'd hazard a guess and say that a chunk of them are. Has the rate always been the same? I come back to my comment in my previous post that the AG does sometimes feel like 'survival of the fittest'.

If you think about it - what the people are saying is that they are happy to leave SBI! and just have a website that doesn't work as well as it could.

When you consider that the actual AG has been historically text based (the VG doesn't have the same detail) you are basically knocking out a whole sector of learning styles. In my experience Misunderstood Words and not enough mass (see, touch and feel - ie visual) plus a couple of other factors contribute to otherwise keen learners just crashing out.

working out an involved protocol (there's more to it when you start to think it through - do-able, but tricky) for figuring out who to help, and when, would only be a priority as we get close to "island status." :-)

Understood - but a good start will be catering for all learning styles.
--

Interesting "fork in the road" messaging!

Thanks very much, Paul.

Some really helpful thinking!

I hope I haven't gone over the top this time!
Interesting for me too
Paul