Best strategies, general discussions, to drive traffic to your pre-existing, primary "e-commerce" site. Expand your Net Auction business instead of depending on/working for eBay, Etsy, etc. Got a low-traffic store? Build traffic to it. Have a zero traffic brochure site for your offline biz? Discuss how you're using your SBI! site to inject life into "off-site monetizers" and get significantly more business out of them.
#1391944 by Adele from UK
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm
Hi, we have an online store via Shopify and wondered whether categories / collections should use your Solid Potential keywords or go for the high demand General keywords / T2s.

Also, if you use your SBI site's keywords in this way are you potentially competing against yourself for search position? Our store has a different URL to our SBI site, so does it mean one will beat the other or both might show up?

Thanks in advance :D
#1392205 by Markus from Seßlach
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 pm
Hello Adele,

Since I don't run an online shop, I'm possibly not that qualified to answer this, but I can try to look at this from the more generic SBI site owner perspective. It's just my opinion though, so it would be good if other site owners - especially those with an online shop - would add their experiences here.

By "categories / collections" you mean those within Shopify I guess? Ideally, I think the best option would be to use both of those keywords for a shop item if that is possible.

Both "category" and "collection" are pretty similar in meaning and primarily lend themselves more to the general / tier 2 keywords. Since this should let more people find your products, this is a good thing.

If you can add specific keywords or tags to single shop items, this would be a good place to add the related tier 3 keyword.

Without knowing more about the way Shopify works though, It's difficult to decide.

As for the competition aspect - don't worry about that.

Since you own both the shop (or at least your virtual "shelf" within the shop) and the website, you can use this to your advantage. You can link to specific shop items from your tier 3 pages where it makes sense, and also add links to those tier 3 pages in the description of your shop items (e.g. first listing the product description, followed by something like "If you would like to know why using <your product> for <...> is important, read this article: <link to your tier 3 page>").

Basically, you can lead random shop visitors over to your website (where they will hopefully stay a little longer after reading your article) in the same way that you can redirect them to your products from within your tier 3 pages.

In the end it does not really matter if a visitor found your site or your product using a link to the site or a link to the shop, as long as you can offer him/her what he/she needs and (hopefully) get a satisfied customer in the end.

Also, even if a keyword search does bring up links to one of your website pages and to a related shop item along each other, a visitor will either see what is what and make a decision based on current needs, or just click on both and maybe jump back to the search results if the first link did not lead to what that person was looking for. Usually, the text description will likely also be different for both items, which should make the selection easy enough.

Greetings,
Markus.
#1392212 by Bernie from RV'ing in Western USA
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm
Hi Adele,
Markus is 100% correct.
You can also tweak and expand your keywords, descriptions and also the collections and categories within the product page.
On the right side of the product page (dashboard) be sure to list your product in several related collections and try to add "Tags" that are related to your product, brands, etc. Be sure your template has a "search" bar at the top (some don't) This is really valuable when people are on the site and looking for a specific item.
Also, on the very bottom area you can edit your SEO description section to be sure you have the keywords you want.
Shopify is excellent in this - they provide you many ways to help get your product found!
Best of success!
#1392226 by Adele from UK
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm
Thank you Markus and Bernie - I have tended to organise the store and even things like YouTube playlists around my T2s, but suddenly wondered if it would be better to use the T3s due to unlikelihood of being 'found' for the T2s. However, they do lend themselves naturally to the store etc so I shall continue to do what I've been doing and work the Tags a little more, plus work in my related T3s. Appreciate your help :-)