Related discussions: Shipping & fulfillment, shopping carts, customer service issues, product sourcing, general discussions, etc., also Ebay, CafePress, etc.

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
#1369288 by Melinda from Glenrowan
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm
I have a few questions that I can't find the answers to, so will be most grateful for advice.
I sell my ebook on my website and recently also listed it on Amazon kindle direct publishing. It was selling well and there was an option to create a paperback book version, so I went through the process of reformatting and uploading the pages to 6x9 format book. (This is now selling even better than the ebook)

Amazon provided a free ISBN with the paperback version of the book. However, I would like to also publish the book on a platform where I can print on demand, from sales of the book on my own website, and order the book with each order i receive online. I have previously done this with LULU for a yearly calendar, and it works really well (you just pay for the printing and postage and keep the difference between what you were selling it for and it gets posted directly to the customer).

If i create the same paperpack book on another platform, do I use the same ISBN that amazon gave me? Or do I use a new ISBN that lulu or create space (or anyone else) would give me? (even though it is essentially the same book). Or do I need to buy an ISBN to use the same one in different places?

It looks like the other option to LULU print on demand is Createspace. Createspace allows you to purchase your print book at its publishing price, does anyone know if it goes against their policies to buy that version of the book and post it directly to customers who have purchased the book on my website? i don't want to break any rules, just trying to figure out how I can have the print book available for sale on my website (as print on demand), as well as on Amazon.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.
#1369289 by Jenny from SiteSell Support
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 pm
Hi Melinda,

I have looked up part of your query on ISBN numbers, as I have previously completed some research on these myself.

ISBN number has an owner, that cannot be transferred. The owner of the ISBN usually references the publisher, unless you have your own. Even then though, the person to fulfill the order should reflect the ISBN number

On the ISBN FAQ's page the following question and answer are present...

If more than one publisher or self-publisher is publishing a book, whose ISBN goes on the book?
The publisher handling order fulfillment places their ISBN on the book. However, both publishers are entitled to put their ISBNs on the book in the case of a jointly published publication.

So I would imagine that the ownership of the ISBN number provided by Amazon, reflects Amazon (as the publisher). Where Amazon aren't publishing the book, I do not see that you can use the ISBN. You may wish to check the terms that you signed up to for clarification/confirmation, as they may stipulate something different.

I'm afraid I have no experience of Createspace or LULU, to be able to answer that question.

I hope this helps.
Jenny.
#1369452 by Melinda from Glenrowan
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:22 am
Hi Jenny,

I appreciate your reply. So it sounds like if i create the book using another platform (like lulu) then I let them assign their ISBN to it.
#1369907 by Jenny from SiteSell Support
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 pm
If that is part of the service that the other publisher offers, then yes. (I would expect that they do).

:)

I hope that helps.
Jenny.
#1369921 by Sharon from Maple Springs
Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:09 am
I have my book at Createspace. My company is the publisher and I purchased an isbn myself. I used this website for my isbn numbers. https://www.myidentifiers.com/

I'm no expert, so keep that in mind. I'm assuming that I've done it correctly. But if others know better please chime in!