Related discussions: Shipping & fulfillment, shopping carts, customer service issues, product sourcing, general discussions, etc.

Moderator: Dennis from Cape Canaveral

#1371343 by Kesha from Zanoni
Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm
Hi all. Hope all is well. I was hoping someone could provide me with some clarification. My goal (main monetization model) is to have an online store selling hard goods. However, I realize that I need to generate traffic so I'm in the process of building content for my blog, that will eventually advertise my products and store, and point people to my e-commerce store.

1- Should I start building my actual e-commerce store (finding suppliers, products, developing the website etc.) as I'm generating traffic to my blog?
2- Should I only focus on building traffic to my blog for a few months, then focus on the e-commerce store?
3-I also want to sell my products at local festivals, flea markets, other events so do you think I should have my e-commerce store up and running before I start selling products offline?

I'm a bit confused because I get the impression that SBI suggest that you focus solely on "building traffic", but unsure if that means not to build your e-commerce store at all.

Thank you for any advice you can lend.

Have a great day.
#1371357 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm
At the point the Action Guide tells you to start monetization (I think 50 visitors a day) is when you think about what needs done for monetization, create your plan, and start doing it while also continuing the activities to help to continue to build traffic.

You will learn to juggle as we all did ;) One day do monetization, the next do traffic, then put a day or two in for content. You figure out how it fits your schedule and work from there but you hit all the steps, then rinse and repeat.

Debs
#1371396 by Lesley from griefandsympathy.com
Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 am
Hi Kesha

What Debs says is totally correct of course. But if you have goods ready to go, there is no harm in putting them on an e-commerce store as soon as you are ready. (I found Shopify the easiest one to set up and integrate into my SBI site). Just don't expect it to get sales until you are able to send it traffic from your site or social media presence.

My thoughts are that if you are doing markets and festivals, it would be a good idea to have your store set up first so you can promote it to your offline customers and start to build up a following among them too.

Good luck with it all.

Lesley
#1374509 by Kesha from Zanoni
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Thank you Lesley. This is exactly what I was thinking.
Lesley from griefandsympathy.com wrote:Hi Kesha

What Debs says is totally correct of course. But if you have goods ready to go, there is no harm in putting them on an e-commerce store as soon as you are ready. (I found Shopify the easiest one to set up and integrate into my SBI site). Just don't expect it to get sales until you are able to send it traffic from your site or social media presence.

My thoughts are that if you are doing markets and festivals, it would be a good idea to have your store set up first so you can promote it to your offline customers and start to build up a following among them too.

Good luck with it all.

Lesley