Using PayPal in SBI!. For services. Plug-n-play shopping cart. E-goods. Other uses?

Moderator: Bernie from RV'ing in Western USA

#1366933 by Mary from Mico
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 am
I receive orders from customers in Ireland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Today a friend in England was unable to buy one of our downloadable products and wrote to tell me about it. She even tried again and sent me a screen shot that you can see below.

I've searched at PayPal and at E-Junkie and I cannot see what is causing this notification:

Thank you for your help.

Mary
#1366955 by Jenny from Rushden
Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:35 pm
Hi Mary,

Being in the UK, I have checked the payment center and found this advice...

"This error message generally means that your card issuer is declining the payment, you can try 'More Funding Options' to attempt the payment with another card. "

The source is from a PayPal moderator, so I believe this to be the most accurate response.

The other alternative would be to advise her to speak to PayPal directly, or to the bank account/card company that is associated to her PayPal account and query the issue.

Jenny.
#1366957 by Martin from Big Flats
Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 pm
Mary,

We are in the UK and we use PayPal.

Some of the issues we've seen which resulted in payment failures include...

1) Using the "guest" option with an email address that is connected to a PayPal account

2) Using the "guest" option too many times (about 5+, can't remember now)

Do you know what this person actually did before getting that message?

Did she try to use her PayPal account or use the guest option?

Martin
#1366976 by Mary from Mico
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 pm
Thank you Jenny and Martin for these good notes. I would not know these things; but can now ask her (later today).

Hm... The one comment makes me wonder why PayPal asked her to contact the seller.

"This error message generally means that your card issuer is declining the payment, you can try 'More Funding Options' to attempt the payment with another card. "

Why would it not tell her to contact her card issuer or simply the other clause: "you can try 'More Funding Options' to attempt the payment with another card"? That's almost what I would have asked her, and actually did by asking if she'd seen the 2CheckOut alternative....

I'll see what I can find and report back here. Be encouraged to remind me someone. :-)

Mary
#1367129 by Mary from Mico
Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:40 am
I've found a PayPal email from Feb 17, 2017 that says much that I do not understand and wonder if this could be part of this lady's difficulty:

PayPal security upgrade progress.

Mary ...,

As a leading payment provider, security is our number one priority and PayPal continually invests and innovates to deliver the strongest protection possible. In some instances, this means adapting to our environments and upgrading merchant integrations to the current industry standards, like those set by the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security Standards Council. We appreciate your patience and support of protecting our customers and their payments.
To better assist customers with these security updates, we’ve created the following materials to further clarify this technical update:
2016-2017 Merchant Security Roadmap

TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade Roadmap

PayPal security guidelines and best practices

We also encourage you to speak with your web hosting company, e-commerce software provider or in-house web programmer/system administrator for further assistance in implementing these changes, if needed.

Scheduled change dates provided in this email and on the TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade Microsite are subject to change. Please monitor our TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade Microsite for the most up-to-date information.
Below are a few key points concerning security updates we will begin implementing after June 30, 2017 and we strongly recommend your systems be compatible to ensure your business is not disrupted:

The PayPal Sandbox, or testing environment, has been upgraded to allow only TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 connections.

All production endpoints will be updated to accept only TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 connections after June 30, 2017. Please note that if you haven’t made the necessary upgrades to your systems to become compliant, your business will be unable to accept payments with PayPal until the required changes have been made.

A verification endpoint is available, which can be found at https://tlstest.paypal.com and has the latest security standards so customers can quickly check if their systems are ready to accept transactions after June 30, 2017.

There are four remaining areas that our security upgrades will impact and we’ve identified the areas that need your attention. The chart below shows whether you’ll need to make changes, or if your business is already compliant or doesn’t use that functionality:

TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade – Complete by June 30, 2017
Update Needed: Yes

IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS – Complete by June 30, 2017
Update Needed: No

Discontinue Use of GET Method for Classic NVP/SOAP API’s – Complete by June 30, 2017

Merchant API Certificate Credentials Upgrade – Complete by January 1, 2018
Please note that this may be completed earlier based on the expiration date of your certificate

IP Address Update for PayPal Secure FTP Servers – Completed as of May 12, 2016

SSL Certificate Upgrade – Completed as of October 18, 2016

If there are any questions or concerns, please contact your account manager.

Maybe I should send this to Support? I have no idea how to upgrade or even what TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 are.

Mary
#1367137 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am
Hi Mary,
I have translated this PayPal email into Paulspeak and it is basically saying it's probably at your end. I don't know if Support can help in this instance as SiteSell aren't part of the Shopping Cart but it's always worth a go.

In a case like this, I often find it's useful to contact them (PayPal) again. Sometimes you just get wrong answers from Call Centres! :? Based on Jenny's information it could well still be something to do with the card, even a security issue of some sort with the merchant. (I'm wondering here if the merchant isn't you but the card provider?? Semantics but possible...

I recently had a card that just refused to work. It turned out the address was wrong. We had moved!

It may even be that she simply has a cache that needs cleaning out of her browser or her browser is out of date.

Martin's "question of what happened before?" is valid too. For your own peace of mind, it could be useful to check those basic things especially if no-one else in the UK is having that problem on your site. Have you tried another friend in the UK to purchase the same product?

So - yes Support - you never know and back to PayPal and get your friend to try another computer or browser at least.

Stir and shake well...
Paul
#1367275 by Mary from Mico
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 am
Thank you Paul and everyone.

If I get this figured, I'll try to remember to post here.

I'm adding these terms to search in case I forget that I used the term England in stead of: Great Britain, UK, Britain.

Again, thank you,

Mary
#1372244 by Mary from Mico
Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 am
Hello all,

I so apologize for not understanding what I'm seeing here.

I have had another English customer who was not able to buy a download and now I have a similar note from 2CheckOut as the PayPal note above.

Is this SSL bit the same as the https in this Wish List thread?

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=218657

Here is the 2CO note:

Dear Valued Merchant,

From protecting the identity of our Merchants to securing your customers' transactions, our focus here at 2Checkout is to process your payments securely and efficiently while adhering to the latest changes and updates within the payments industry.

The Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security Standards Council (SSC) has released its latest data security standard (DSS) 3.1, which mandates all businesses move away from Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) web encryption because it's no longer considered strong enough. Therefore, starting June 1, 2017, 2Checkout will no longer support SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. This means that all API requests, Vendor Admin sessions and standard checkout processes will need to use TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2.

As a Merchant, please check to ensure your connectivity will not be affected – you may need to make updates to your servers, programming language and even the browser you are using immediately. Supported browsers are outlined below. For more details on this change, please check out this blog post.

The 2Checkout Sandbox environment, sandbox.2checkout.com, has already been changed to support only TLS1.1 and TLS1.2. Tests can be performed today with your shopping cart integration and API calls against that environment prior to the June 1st deadline.

Please check your system to see if any action is needed to support this update. Your applications may be unable to connect to 2Checkout services after the changes are implemented in production.

As always, you may reach us at techsuppport at 2heckout .com with any questions.

Thank you for your business,

Integrations Team
2Checkout

Maybe this is a question I should ask at E-Junkie? Thank you for looking.

Mary
#1372258 by George from Prestea
Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 am
@Mary,

Both messages from PayPal and 2CO are indications of what's to come (June 1st, 2017 for 2CO and June 30th, 2017 for PayPal). These notices should not have anything to do with any problems you're having with payment processing today.

If these were the cause, they'd affect ALL transactions, not some transactions.

Basically, both PayPal and 2CO are notifying you that the credit card industry (Visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc) are going to beef up the security requirements of websites and companies that accept and process credit cards. In view of this, they (PayPal & 2CO) are giving you the deadlines after which they'll not process transactions from websites that don't meet the new rules.

Note that this requirement only applies to the actual web page that collects credit card information.

In your case the...

1) Payment information is not actually collected by your SBI site, so there's nothing to do there.

2) The PAY WITH PAYPAL option on your site takes the user to PayPal website, so it's up to PayPal to deal with this new security requirement. But why did that send you this notice, then? Well, the mail is a generic one that went to all folks who sell with PayPal. Some users, especially the large sites, are able to process PayPal payments (including credit card payments processed via PayPal) directly on their site without taking the buyer to PayPal's website to login and pay. So, in that case, the onus will be on them to meet this new requirement.

3) The PAY WITH CARD option, even though it appears to be happening on your website, is actually happening on e-Junkie's website. It's just an iframe window popped over your web page. So, here too, it's not your job -- it's e-Junkie's job to take care of this.

Again, these notices should nave nothing to do with any problems you're having with payment processing now.
#1372264 by Mary from Mico
Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 am
Thank you so much George!

You have settled my worries well. What a refreshing relief! What a well written post.

Again and again, thank you for taking the time to read my posts and write your answer.

Mary
#1372291 by Bernie from RV'ing in Western USA
Sat May 27, 2017 5:11 pm
Thanks George,
Great info!! These security measures are so important to protect all of us! Unfortunately, it causes anxiety when new rules are put in place, but most of the selling companies are getting used to the fact that they must update with the PayPal's and Bank Cards to protect us.
Again, great post