Using PayPal in SBI!. For services. Plug-n-play shopping cart. E-goods. Other uses?

Moderator: Bernie from RV'ing in Western USA

#1366875 by Kenesha from Sydenham
Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:41 pm
Hello SBIers,

I really need some advice on how to move forward. I have been researching for months on how to start my online store and at first I was excited and narrowed it down to 2 ecommerce sites: shopify and selz. However I have come to understand that living in Jamaica I cannot accept credit card payments as I cannot find a gateway. My only option is to just use paypal express. I have since scaled back my plans and decided to use payloadz or ejunkie.

My question is since I plan to sell printable downloads will I loose customers by just using paypal for payments? Will people think its weird to just have paypal for checkout? I have always seen 2checkout along with paypal. I am so frustrated and confused.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
#1366879 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 pm
I use Paypal buttons and also E-Junkie which goes through Paypal. Paypal has the option of paying via any credit card. I think people used to be a little leery, and you'll still get one or two that complain about it, but the majority of people are quite comfortable with it.
#1366918 by Mary from Mico
Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:31 am
Hi Kenesha.

I use E-Junkie (it's great that it sells both our hard goods and egoods) and I use both PayPal and 2CheckOut. Years ago when we added Google Wallet (now defunct) we had a 50 to 100% increase in sales. When it passed away + we chose to replace it with 2CO.

PayPal's offer of being able to use your own credit card is not intuitive for many of my visitors, so having 2CO's button right there at EJ has been helpful.

Another processor might be the one Tobias uses at homemade-gifts-made-easy, perhaps Fast Spring?

Mary
#1367028 by Kenesha from Sydenham
Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 am
Thank you Jackie and Mary your comments were just what I needed to just push forward away from my fears and insecurities.
Mary I did check out Fast Spring but I think I will just go ahead with ejunkie for now.

Thanks again for your help :D
#1367070 by Robert from Mc Gregor
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:46 pm
Hi Kenesha

I used both E-Junkie and GetDPD.com. I recommend GetDPD over E-Junkie

Pricing for both is about the same. Setup time is about the same. Both let you create buttons and use your site as a shopping cart.

Customer view of the shopping cart...Please compare this [Domain Private]/GetDPDvsEJunkie.html (I've changed my header since I created the images) for the two different carts. DPD lets you use your header for brand recognition. DPD also allow you to use images for each product with a description.

Reporting and Finding customer sales data is much better in DPD. You can create graphs on all types of data for analysis with DPD. They have extensive filters for finding data. EJ only offer logs which can be exported to Excel. Then you can use Excel to create the graphs which is time consuming

When I was using EJ, it only let me create 1 button image for buy now and add to shopping cart. DPD has a ton of different button images to choose from. This helps you select the buttons that best fit your site. In addition you can change the price within DPD and the price automatically updates on your store.

DPD lets you pdf stamp and encrypt ebooks. This prevents printing or copying text. When you start selling ebooks, this is now a digital file. This method helps prevent copying the files. It doesn't totally block it, but when buyers have their buyer information on the pages of the ebook, they will think twice about freely distributing it. EJ does not have this feature.

If you decide on sending product updates, for example you updated an ebook and you want the purchaser to have an updated copy, both services offer this. However EJ charges for each email you send from their service. These are pennies per email but could add up depending on the number of buyers you have. DPD is free.

Emails sent from with EJ is plain text, no html, no images. Email sent from DPD is html based and it includes a html editor. You can have your images in the emails for business branding. In the above link is a picture of the download screen that your buyers sees from within DPD.

DPD can create a shopping site for you. In this case you don't need to use your own site, just link from your site to DPD site. It will still look like your site. I don't use this feature as I like to create my custom shopping site. This is not possible with EJ

One area where I think EJ beats DPD is file hosting for large files. When you are on EJ $20 plan, you can host your files on a different server. This means you don't use up any of your payed space on EJ. This works great for videos. . As you use up your available space on DPD, there are other tricks / methods to selling videos.

Both allow for affiliate reselling. Both have slight differences. I'm Ok with DPD but it could be improved. I would say the same about EJ too.

With regards to PayPal credit card processing, for both EJ and DPD, when the customer actually makes the purchase they go offsite to enter credit card or PayPal details which takes away from the customer experience and your branding. You can put a little marketing image on the PayPal Processing page, but it is very limiting. To get around this, you would need to invest in PayPal Business which is $30 a month. With PayPal Business the customer within DPD, the customer stays on your cart page and the process happens more smoothly to the customer.

I am a PayPal Business customer because I use their tools for other processing such as invoices. However I have set up carts for other folks with Stripe processing. Stripe lets the customer stay on the page like PayPal Business and there is no monthly fee.
#1367083 by Mary from Mico
Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for posting this excellent comparison. Very helpful.

One thing: I do know that E-junkie has had the pdf stamp ever since I started in 2009.

The Stripe info is helpful, too.

Again, thank you so much for posting.

Mary
#1367091 by Mary from Mico
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm
Hi Robert,

No problem. I'm very glad to have read your notes. This is a real pearl!

Questions (unless I missed the answers - my apologies):

Does GetDPD allow affiliate sales of your products?

Can you sell both egoods and hard goods with GetDPD?

Did you compare to SendOwl and FastSpring?

Thank you,

Mary
#1367092 by Robert from Mc Gregor
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm
Hi Mary

Does GetDPD allow affiliate sales of your products? Yes and I have a couple of affiliates.

Can you sell both egoods and hard goods with GetDPD? Yes and GetDPD will track Inventory. Plus they have a very nice shipping calculation process.

Did you compare to SendOwl and FastSpring? Sorry, no.

Kind Regards,

Robert
#1367097 by Mary from Mico
Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm
Thank you Robert.

Very helpful.

I do remember that EJ will track inventory, too, yet I did not add that to my CDs. (I can see how many boxes remain and when they're gone we're not replacing them, most sales are for the download version.)

Again, thank you for your notes.

Mary
#1367360 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:57 am
I was just going to add my bit that the ejunkie/paypal combo has been terrific for me - I sell my own information in e-books, have done since 2011, and have never had any hassles with either. On my sales pages, I do spoonfeed my buyers a little and explain that they can either use their bank card to pay through paypal, or their paypal account. I also address it in my FAQ. So that helped buyers get over their nervousness.

But wow, Robert, thank you for that comparison. I have been very happy with ejunkie, but your comparison has made me sit up and take notice. Will explore GetDPD, for sure! Thanks for this!!!

Tracey
#1367371 by Kenesha from Sydenham
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm
Hi Robert,

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know the merits of both ejunkie and getdpd.

I never even heard of GetDPD before now. I really like their cart buttons and the fact that checkout can remain on my site.

Mary,

I just assumed that sendowl had to be used with shopify so that was not considered at all. So thanks.

But now the decision got that much harder...lol. So thanks guys.
#1367399 by Robert from Mc Gregor
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:06 pm
Hi Kenesha,

With GetDPD, my site hosts the store and the purchase buttons. But GetDPD hosts the cart and the checkout process. Within GetDPD, you set these up to look like your site. The customer doesn't recognize this unless they look at the URL.

Also within GetDPD, similar to E-Junkie, you can setup a light box for the cart. With this, the cart floats on top of your site. Personally, I don't like this method but others may.