Share & discuss site-building strategies, tips and get help on: Navigation (NavBar), Analyze It!, Footer, Tracker, Image & Link Libraries, Page Manager & WebFTP.

Moderator: Jenny from Rushden

Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
#1367317 by Jim from Helm
Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm
The new breadcrumb code lists the current page in the breadcrumb trail as a link. Clicking on the current page link takes you to the top of the current page.

Is it reasonable to combine the current page link and the top of page link but setting the text to "Top of Page"?

Generally I do not have a "Top of Page" anchor on my pages, but made an example with the new breadcrumb code here:
[Domain Private]/best-stock-screener.html

Otherwise, I was just using a page name as the current page link:
[Domain Private]/stock-ranking-systems.html

Thanks.
#1367320 by Harvey from Woodbridge
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm
Hi Jim,

A few years back, when I first added breadcrumbs to my site, I agonized for days over questions like yours.

I was focused on what Google would think, and how I could set up breadcrumbs to maximize seo benefits. Eventually I understood that ALL I should worry about is the user experience (which, actually, is what Google wants me to focus on, too :D ). So I settled on the following format...

Link to TIER 1 page > Link to TIER 2 page > Name of TIER 3 page.

Some notes on that...

1) The link to the TIER 1 page is always called "Home." That, for me, is the most user-friendly, intuitive thing to call it.

I know you call yours "stock screening 101." I know that Nori calls her "Anguilla." For me, those are both placing Google above humans, so I use "Home."

2) The current page is plain text, never a link. Again, I do that for optimal user experience, because it's the format used on 99% of sites.

3) It's not a bad idea to have a "Top of Page" link for user experience, especially on a long page. But I would keep it separate from the breadcrumbs (because trying to combine the two is not immediately intuitive).

On this page, for example...

[Domain Private]

Nori has a "Top of the Page" link right at the very bottom, which makes sense.

Bottom line? Forget about seo considerations. Put yourself into a visitor's shoes and do what is most intuitive.

When I did that a few years back, my rankings held up just fine. :D

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Harvey
#1367324 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 pm
If you look at a search result in Google, you'll see the home page, and the T2, and the T3 page listed there in green. But only if you put the T3 inside a crumb. The same holds for a T2 if the crumb ends there.

I think that, more than anything else, is why breadcrumb code now includes the current page, rather than having it as plain text.
#1367389 by Jim from Helm
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm
Harvey, Jeff and Jacki.

Thanks for the feedback. In any case, I will not be using "Top of Page" for the text for the current page.

Interesting that Nori's page which Harvey referenced does not have a link for the current page, only the upstream page.

Even if a link is not used for the current page, it appears important to identify the tier of each page in the breadcrumb. From a human vs seo standpoint, having all pages in the breadcrumb trail show as links in the search results may have value.

Like Jacki said "Hmm"
#1367415 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:55 pm
Jim,

Nori did her breadcrumbs under the old recommendation by Google.

Google and Schema have now updated the code. However the code change isn't anything to worry about if you already have the older code in place.

If, however, you are doing the breadcrumbs for the first time, the recommendation is to follow the new format Google & Schema came up with.

Debs