Share & discuss site-building strategies, tips and get help on: Navigation (NavBar), Analyze It!, Footer, Tracker, Image & Link Libraries, Page Manager & WebFTP.

Moderator: Jenny from Rushden

#1371039 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 am
Hi everyone, I'm interested in implementing a more convenient navigation option on my site pages.
hear is what I want to achieve: "Home>pruning guide>how to prune>pruning clematis"
so my questions are as follow:
1.are there any plugins for that or should I make it manually?
2.from your experience, does it really upgrade the user's experience?
hope I've explained myself right.
Eyal
#1371042 by George from Prestea
Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 am
2.from your experience, does it really upgrade the user's experience?

All the folks who have been tracking this sort of thing (more below) are convinced it hurts user experience.

Your current three-level navigation is troublesome enough. Please don't make it any harder on your users!

I only got to the 3rd-level menu on the third try. Because I don't have a perfectly stable hand, mouse and surface, my mouse movement wasn't smooth enough, and kept jumping to the wrong place when I tried decending to the next level.

Sure, that may be just me and the few of us "disabled" people.

But that's the least of the problems with multi-level navigation though.

Even for perfectly abled and perfectly equipped people, testing after testing shows multi-level navigation present significant usability and accessibility challenges.

From Nielson Norman Group (making the case against mult-level navigation in favor of mega menus):

For bigger sites with many features, regular dropdown menus typically hide most of the user's options. Yes, you can scroll, but (a) it's a pain, and (b) scrolling hides the options at the top of the menu. As a result, you can't visually compare all your choices; you have to rely on short-term memory. People have enough on their minds, and messing with short-term memory reduces their ability to accomplish tasks on your site. Mega menus show everything at a glance, so users can see rather than try to remember.

More on the subject:

Moz.com: 5 Lessons Learned from 100,000 Usability Studies

UserTesting.com: Why You Need to Get Rid of Your Multi-Level Menu

As usual, just my two cents worth of wisdom.
#1371043 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 am
Thank you so much for the detailed comment, I really do appreciate it. got it.
best
Eyal
#1371055 by Laura from Golden
Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 pm
Hi Eyal,

Eyal from Beerotaim wrote:hear is what I want to achieve: "Home>pruning guide>how to prune>pruning clematis"

Looks like you are referring to breadcrumb navigation. You can read more about it here...

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/breadcrumb-navigation.html

Best regards,
Laura
SiteSell Support Team

PS Breadcrumb navigation is different from multilevel, drop-down navigation (i.e. your main horizontal NavBar), which is what, I believe, George is referring to.
#1371057 by George from Prestea
Sun May 14, 2017 3:23 pm
Looks like you are referring to breadcrumb navigation. You can read more about it here...

That's what I thought initially, but when I checked his site (which has 3-level hover navigation already) and the fact that he chose to highlight a middle section (which I interpreted to mean it's something missing that he'd like to add), I came to a different conclusion.
#1371079 by Dee from Cape Cod
Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 pm
Hi Eyal -

This is off-topic to your question, but I thought it was important to tell you ...

I looked at several pages of your site on my desktop, and I noticed that your AdSense ad in the left column covers your page content. Pages where I noticed this happening were: your Home page, Pruning Container Plants, and Pruning Lemongrass.

I also checked these pages on my mobile phone (Droid Turbo). On mobile, the ads look fine - except the AdSense ad on your home page. Do you have side-by-side AdSense ads on your home page? It looks like the right-hand ad is partially covering the left-hand ad. This happens in both portrait and landscape orientation on my mobile phone.

Just thought you should know.

Best Regards,

Dee
#1371080 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Sun May 14, 2017 8:19 pm
Hi Dee thank you so much
if I may ask, I made some changes according to your comment. any changes?
I know it's off-topic but since you brought it to my attention...
cheers
Eyal
#1371093 by Dee from Cape Cod
Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 pm
Hi Eyal -

It's better on my mobile. But on desktop the ads still cover part of your content.

If you start a new forum thread about this, you'll likely get advice from someone who knows much more about this than I do. (Everyone knows more about it than I do! :roll::lol: )

Best Regards,

Dee