Share & discuss site-building strategies, tips and get help on: Navigation (NavBar), Analyze It!, Footer, Tracker, Image & Link Libraries, Page Manager & WebFTP.

Moderator: Jenny from Rushden

#401227 by ken-admin
Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:40 pm
There was a parallel thread on building sitemaps at...

http://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?t=72267

I've locked that one so we can keep one thread going right here. It's a thread I'd like to watch develop since some SBIers would like to create an HTML Sitemap for their human visitors (it serves little value for spiders).

So if new and good resources pop up, we'll use them to update this article...

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/building-a-sitemap.html

All the best,
Ken

#401657 by Geoff from Rodney
Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 am
A vert interesting thread I just came across.

Just wanted to bring a 'newbie to this phase' comment to the table and that is to do with the Google tool here

http://www.sitemapdoc.com/

I am not interested in building my own site map and trust the SBI process to the max. What the Google tool helped me with was at a much more basic level on the link checking (I don't know where the SBI one is yet so help is appreciated for that)

Just being able to not only know there was a problem link was but where to go to fix it quickly has been very helpful as I discovered a series of links I had left the www out of. Easy to catch when you see it so boldly laid out for you. And fast

In that context 'Thank You Ken' for the page labeling standard used too. That makes it REALLY easy to track down a page problem

And a final discovery coming out of this little aside and another Thank You Ken and that is for the fact the block builder has a Find function on it that does all the blocks. VERY handy and speedy. So when you want to fix the link text its real simple!

Other discussion around site maps is also most interesting. I like Ken's comments in the locked thread attached to this. If you do your own then seriously think of a stripper version. I just ran this tool on our non SBI site and there is no way I would want visitors to see almost 300 entries in semi techno speak. It confuses the heck out of me and I am supposed to know what is there!

Each day is so fun when you stumble on neat things. Here - it never ends!
#603919 by Kelly from East Glastonbury
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm
Thank you Bill from smoking-cooker.com for your html on building a sitemap. I used google sitemaps and your code to do my own.

Kelly

#664977 by eric from Caneadea
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 pm
So if I'm using block builder I just copy the code, (put in my info) that Bill supplies and drop it in. I think I get that, but how do I get three rows like in Bills site map? Thanks, Eric
#842067 by Elle from Campbelltown South
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:43 pm
Hi,

I've also used the site map process that Bill from Smoker Cooking wrote about in TNT. I've done it slightly differently, basically I've thought of the site map as similar to an index in a book, where people can find references to topics as well as pages. So there are quite a few anchor links used, rather than just page links.

Maybe it will end up being too complicated, but I've started it very early in the building of my pages so that I can just update it each time I add a page. I'm hoping that will keep the work manageable.

Because I think the page will eventually get quite large, I'd like to use 3 columns, which I'm assuming are table-based. If anyone has any handy hints on how to do this relatively easily I'd love to hear. I'm uploading my own html pages and have a css stylesheet, so I expect I'd need to override that. Otherwise I'll need to look at splitting it up into different pages. I'd prefer a one-page overview though.

Thanks,
Elle
#1068228 by Thomas from Fort Yates
Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 am
I built a sitemap using SBI Blocks and Bill from smoking-cooker.com method. Now what, do I have to verify it to the 3 search engines, Google, bing and yahoo?

Tom L.
[Domain Private]
#1068281 by David from Oxfordshire
Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am
Hi Tom,

No, this is your visitor site map. Although the search engine spiders may find it useful when they visit your site, it's the XML site map, whose URL you'll find near the top of Search Engine HQ, that you need to submit to the search engines if you haven't already done so.

Hope this helps,
#1068589 by Thomas from Fort Yates
Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:22 am
Thanks David, I will do just that.
#1149449 by Rose and Richard from Béal An Átha
Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:52 pm
Hi Thomas
Can you tell me how you did your sitemap with SBI Block and Bill its' alien to me.

Is it as simple as in BB2

...create a new page then list the names of all my created pages highlight each named on the page

go back and forth to "my pages" and create each link Hey presto ....................

If that is so then I actualy do not need Bill's method
Or is that too easy Regards Rose
#1149767 by Lesley Pinkett from East Devon
Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am
Rose wrote:Is it as simple as in BB2

...create a new page then list the names of all my created pages highlight each named on the page

go back and forth to "my pages" and create each link Hey presto ....................

If that is so then I actualy do not need Bill's method
Or is that too easy Regards Rose

Yes, the BB2 method is much quicker and easier.

Lesley in Devon
#1154893 by Kathryn from East Corinth
Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:18 pm
Ok, Rose confused me, building a site map in bb2-

In BB2, we open a new page. Now do we copy the url and highlight the keyword/page title? to create a link. We then link each page to its corresponding title?

Example http:// www.123abc.com/alph.html Highlight alph and link to alph page?

OR

Alph
Bud
Charlie Using Only the page title- then highlight each one and link to its page? Or do we need to use html?

Thanks in advance.
#1154940 by David from Oxfordshire
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:57 pm
Hi Kathryn,

Yes, in Blockbuilder 2 it's your second method.

Open a Text block, and list all your page titles, or whatever you're going to use as the link texts: Alph, Bud, Charlie...

Then highlight each one, click the link button (the little chain icon), and select the page that you want from Your Pages.

In the words of Aleksandr Orlov: "Simples!". :wink:

Hope this helps,