Share & discuss site-building strategies, tips and get help on: Navigation (NavBar), Analyze It!, Footer, Tracker, Image & Link Libraries, Page Manager & WebFTP.

Moderator: Jenny from Rushden

#1391821 by Mike from Mount Dora, Florida
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm
Most of my website was built using Brainstormer and the resulting keyword list. I began the site in 2009 and the majority of it was completed by 2012. At one time I had to convert a couple of hundred BB-1 pages to BB-2.

I built and converted my pages using Analyze It to check them out. Usually my page title, page file name, page headline, and page description all had the keyword in it. In addition, the keyword also showed up several times in the body of the page and in subheadings. Analyze It said AOK, so I published the page.

Now I'm reading more and more that Google is penalizing sites for "keyword" stuffing. I know SBI! has warned about this, but I'm also seeing more and more top ten SERP ranked sites that apparently purposefully avoid having keywords in the page title, headline, and description. Some have suggested that Google's algorithms have improved to the point that they can figure out what a site is about with only one or two keywords at most, and sometimes none.

My questions are:

. Has SBI! thinking changed on this?

. Should I avoid having the same keyword in title, file name, description, body, and subheadings?

. If so, should I rebuild my pages reflecting the new thinking, deleting keywords, etc?

.Has Analyze It changed to assist in the rebuilding process?[/list]

As always, I know SBI! will have an answer that lets me sleep at night.
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from The Search Engines to here as this is about an SBI! tool.
#1391823 by Maria from Agness
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:39 pm
Hi Mike,

SBI have been keeping up with the changes.
For example - You can now only put one keyword in the meta keyword tag. Google 'reads' the page to work out what it's about so the meta keyword box is mainly used for our own benefit, to focus the page on one specific keyword.

Analyze it uses the keyword box to work out whether you have inserted the keyword often enough for google to understand what the page is about. So it's still looking for the specific keyword but you have to use your own judgement too.

SBI advise has always been to keep it natural and real, not to force awkward keywords into headlines/subheadings just to be able to use them

If you've replaced the specific keyword with a synonym or rearranged the words so they make more sense then that's fine. It's actually what SBI advises us to do now, you won't pass analyze it but you'll know why you are not passing and be able to ignore it as your human judgement should tell you whether google will recognise the phrase you've used as similar enough to the keyword you are writing about.
You can test this by putting in the phrase you are using into google's SE and see if google returns pages with your keyword.
I hope that makes sense.

Here's a couple of articles that may explain it better.
http://sbitips.sitesell.com/best-practices.html
http://sbitips.sitesell.com/best-practices-page-building.html

Maria
#1391841 by Mike from Mount Dora, Florida
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 am
Maria:

Thanks for the advice and great links. I don't think my site is in super trouble, but I believe I can improve many pages by going back and tweaking in accordance with some of the principles in the articles you provided. Some of my language is unnatural because I tried to sneak in more keywords to satisfy that nagging little Analyze It!

Regards, Mike
#1391867 by Maria from Agness
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:19 pm
Glad I could help Mike,

Since panda, google's quality content algo, the advise is to keep it as natural as possible.
SBI has always said to keep it real but it was often overlooked as it seemed everyone else was stuffing their pages with keywords as much as possible. That seemed to work for a little while but google then developed panda and all those sites started losing their ranking. Panda really levelled the playing field for those of us that create good quality content sites against those SEO guru's that would just create pages full of keyword stuffed fluff.
At least you haven't much to fix :D
All the best,
Maria
#1391868 by Mike from Mount Dora, Florida
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:28 pm
Maria:

My main problem was selecting hundreds of keywords with good value demand and supply numbers that I thought would make good T3 pages. I forgot that part about using my human judgement. For example, I have pages on a couple of hundred Florida towns. Each page had a great keyword number, but I failed to go to the first page of Google SERP and notice that my competitors were government funded websites and big outfits like Realtor.com, Zillow, Tripadvisor, Expedia, etc etc etc.

My website is successful in spite of my many mistakes. It would be even more so if I had used more human judgement.
#1391871 by Maria from Agness
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Hi Mike,

This isn't always a bad thing. Those big sites can seem impersonal and they often only cover the basics. If I was going to go to Florida I would probably skip those first page(s) of listings until I found a site like yours that has a personal view and goes into the places in more depth than the big sites. As long as you are adding more quality to the page, covering things the big sites don't bother with then you can still compete with them.
This is possibly why you are still doing quite well even if you aren't on the first page of google for that particular keyword.

All the best,
Maria
#1391894 by Mike from Mount Dora, Florida
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 am
Thanks, Maria. Most of my pages that have government competitors are not in the Google top ten. Some of them get very little traffic but I keep them around for sentimental reasons.