Share and discuss Solo Build It!'s BlockBuilder 2 strategies and tips. Get help using BlockBuilder. If you're converting pages from the old BlockBuilder, find tips to make the switch easier.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

#1369145 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 pm
Hi everyone would love to get your opinion,
our site [Domain Private]/has two NAV bars and I'd like to have and use only one (Head nav bar)
on the other hand, I'm afraid that by expanding the Head nav bar it will become too much wider?!
And if ill decide to do so, how can I create a double nav bar with the help of Site designer, would love to hear any comment or idea you have.

Thanks in advance

Eyal
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from Site Designer to here.
#1369148 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 am
I put the logistic type pages in the footer, which eliminates six or eight links. Then I prune the nav constantly. Nothing gets on there without a lot of thought. Keep it lean and mean. :D
#1369154 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 am
Hi Jacki, thanks! I'll prune :D it some more
BTW just left you a private message VIA your site's contact.
best
Eyal
#1369166 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 am
Hi there
For a start, I wouldn't try using two top navs with the standard SBI blockbuilder navs, it only causes issues. You run into problems with links getting covered, not working, links breaking down and dropping over the bottom row on smaller windows etc. Just not worth it.

But that top nav could be far more effective and efficient than it is now, there is no need for it to be so big and take up so much room. Some of the links in there don't need to be there, some can be combined and other can have wording changed to make them shorter.

For example, 2 top nav links are "Deciduous Fruit Trees" and "Other Fruit Trees" which could be just one top link called "Fruit Trees".

But my concern with the nav you have now, is it seems like you are putting a lot of what should be tier 3 pages into the navigation, making them T2 pages. As an example, I would have thought that PRUNING SHRUBS would be the tier 2 page, and all the individual shrubs should be tier 3 pages, but you have them all as T2. Same thing with Herbs and Citrus Trees.

I did look at some of those pages, and they certainly looked like they should be T3 pages. It's all good info, but the site page hierarchy seems very flat, no tier structure to it. Clean that up a bit, and having plenty of room on your navigation bar won't be a problem.

Cheers, AJ
#1369292 by Carol from SiteSell Support
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm
Hi Eyal,

I am not AJ, but I took a look at your site and have a question related to what he wrote.

Do you have a tier 2 page on Shrubs? When I use your horizontal NavBar and go to the Find Your Plant button it drops down and I see Shrubs as one of the options. However, this is a NavHeader and not a
button that leads to a page. I see that the buttons I can click on are for particular shrubs such as Azaleas and Hibiscus. As these pages are on the NavBar that makes them tier 2 pages.

Ideally, you would have a Shrubs Tier 2 with text links on it that lead to the different types of Shrubs.

Best Wishes,

Carol
#1369294 by Mary from Mico
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm
Hi Eyal and all,

I have this same question about my sites. Should I take down my left nav? How would I know for certain?

I personally like the left nav. It suits my sense of order being able to see the skeleton of the site at a glance.

But....

One or two visitors had mentioned that they'd expected to see a top nave, so I added it.

I wonder if this second nav makes too much internal linking.

By the time one gets to the middle of my pages, one would have to return near the top to use the navigation anyway.

Mary
#1369328 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 pm
Hi Carol, thank's
I'll try to improve. thank's again.

Hi Mary,
I'll share with you my perspective and why I've decided to "prune" the side Nav Bar.
I think it's personal, I don't like sites with too much "background noise"
the Home page is like a big landing page (That's how I see it) and all I want is when you'll be visiting my site for the first time you'll understand in 3 seconds what's In it for you > One second for each service:
1. Home garden on-line pruning guide > according to plant type.
2. Hand pruning tools reviews
3. On-line professional pruning help > visitors can send me a picture of their plants asking for advice (free).
I want them to stay focused and see what I have to offer in a blink. that's why I chose to use only the Top Nav Bar that will keep their eyes on the target.(my target their needs).
a few days ago I had both (side and top nav bars) and finally after lots of thinking that was my final decision, as a matter a fact I think I'll prune it some more :D

But that's me! :wink:
#1369349 by Mary from Mico
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Thank you Eyal.

Good notes and well taken. I really appreciate your help, It won't take much to tip me away from using my left nav and I'd really like to clear the tops of my pages, too.

Would you post back here if you find stats to support that I should ditch my side bar? I see Google and FB use side bars for some things, yet those are not duplicate links....

Decisions, decisions....

Mary
#1369355 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 pm
I think that top navbar looks much more organized, and things are still easily accesible.

With a left col navbar, here's an idea that I have used in the past. You can create a text link navbar with a heading like "Related Topics" or something, and put that into a reusuable container. Then drag and drop that container onto the appropriate pages.

So for example, on the pruning roses section, have links to other types of plants that you cover. On the tools section, another container that is for things related to tools. Perhaps links to pages that review particular tools.

There are so many ways to slice and dice navigation. The thing is, what works well for a small site can get unmanageable with a massive website, so it pays to think about it and get a good system right from the start.
Cheers, AJ
#1369357 by Mary from Mico
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 am
Hi AJ.

As per this:

So for example, on the pruning roses section, have links to other types of plants that you cover. On the tools section, another container that is for things related to tools. Perhaps links to pages that review particular tools.

I used to do this when I was uploading pages and using includes. It was wonderful to be able to have a "reusable block" that I could change at will whenever I wanted to add info to a group of pages.

I also used to keep such a block on most of my pages of each product which are also T2s. I've taken those down years ago, yet might ought to restore them, especially if this would increase sales.

I always appreciate your perspective.

Mary
#1369367 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 am
Hi Mary,
it's interesting what you've said about FB and Google (now ill definitely look for support articles and numbers :D ) on the other hand keep in mind that FB and Google can do whatever they want to. think about it, when you're visiting your FB page you'll do everything and invest as much time as it takes for you to learn how to use and operate the page, why? because you almost "Must" using it on a daily basis. they can put as many buttons, sidebars, top bars, pictures etc.... as they like but you won't Runaway from them to another site. when you're a "prisoner" (and please forgive me for using that word here)to my service (FB) I'm free to do whatever I like. we strive to become like that in our specific niche and I believe that in order to achieve that we should be much more friendly users. minimum noise maximum attention and that is why it needs to get minimized. hope I explained myself correctly?! I really like and appreciate that discussion.

Eyal
#1369370 by Mary from Mico
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:16 am
Great notes Eyal.

I agree and am really thinking about removing that extra nav. I'm enjoying this discussion as well. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts here.

Have a great week!

Mary
#1369851 by Eyal from Beerotaim
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 am
Hi all
So here are my home page after "Pruning" the navigation bar :D[Domain Private]/
I do think it's much better
would love to get your respond and feedback
cheers
Eyal