Your site's design is the 3rd part of your site's and business's "Personality" (if you do not remember the first 2 parts, see DAY 5). Ideas for customizing Solo Build It!'s Site Designer templates, including total customization to build your own unique Site Design.

Moderators: A J from Somewhere Hot, Laura from Chautauqua

#1383585 by Rhonda from Vineburg
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm
Hi.

I'm just getting started - two pages up and two more waiting in the wings. After asking my kids' opinions, I think I want to change my design from Dandelion (1 column) to Books (2 columns). When I look at the new design sample, it shows my website name at the top and the rest looks like the normal template.

My question is, if I save this new design, will my top photo and everything I have so far come with it, or will I be starting all over again? Because it looks like I'd be starting from scratch. Is there a way to see how it will look with my current pages showing in the new format exactly as they are before making the decision?

I'm scared. :(

Thanks!
Rhonda
#1383586 by Bonnie from Boneville
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm
Hi Rhonda,

You would be starting over, but really, this is a good time to do it, especially if your current design is going to bother you as you progress, in my opinion. (But you can do it anytime.) You likely have the header image on your computer, and you may have to make a new resized image to capture the angle you want on the header (since it's not quite as wide), but that's ok. Then you can change any other items you want, like headlines, etc. if you don't want the template defaults. You could hire a designer to do it for you, but I don't think it will be necessary, really.

Do you like having the 2nd column better? That is what I would consider, and if so I'd do it.

Hope that helps,
Bonnie
#1383606 by Janice from Creede
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm
Hi Rhonda,

Like Bonnie said, you will lose everything, but there is no reason why you can't take a couple of notes on the original design and use them on the new design. For example colors, fonts, margins, padding, and all the other design elements that you created in your first attempt. Most people change the look and feel every once in awhile even if it is just for a few tweaks here and there.

If you have used any custom CSS, you will want to copy and paste that into Notepad or something similar because they may be workable in the new design. If the CSS is specific for the original template, then there isn't much use saving it.

If you want to compare the new to the old, you could always do a screen capture so you could see how the new design will resemble the old. A two column design is very practical and I think you will be happy with it.
#1383608 by Susan from Ash Flat
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 pm
Hi Rhonda,
I'd agree with what the others have said about changing templates and as you've just started now is the time to make a change if you want to. However, I just wanted to tell you how much I like your current design and the 'voice' and approach you and Tom have used :D You've made a great start and I'm intrigued already. Looking forward to reading more about Orkney!
#1383634 by Rhonda from Vineburg
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm
Right. Thanks so much, ladies, both for the advice and the encouragement. You all know how valuable they are! I do think I'd be left with a nagging dissatisfaction if I didn't change it, so I'm going to take the plunge now. I thought I'd like the 1-column, which seemed so streamlined and modern, but I think I prefer having a separate place to put a bit of additional, unrelated to the page info at the side, without the viewer having to scroll, scroll, scroll.

I love the forums.You guys are great. Thanks again!

Rhonda
#1383655 by Susan from Ash Flat
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm
There's definitely something to be said for having that extra column, and I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. If it's bugging you now, better to get it taken care of while it's relatively easy to do. Good luck!
#1383671 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 pm
Hi Rhonda -

Re this:
Rhonda from Vineburg wrote:... I think I prefer having a separate place to put a bit of additional, unrelated to the page info at the side, without the viewer having to scroll, scroll, scroll.

Remember that with a 2-column responsive/mobilized template, the contents of the second column will appear after your page content. So anyone who's viewing your responsive/mobilized 2-column site on a mobile device will have to scroll all the way down to find your second column content.

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it's that way on all 2-column responsive/mobilized templates. If I'm wrong about that, or if there's some way around it, hopefully someone will jump in and let me/us know!

Best Regards,

Dee