A wide-open SBI! Forum that discusses how to sell (vs. PREsell). Includes general discussions on copywriting (download and read "Make Your Words Sell!"), monetization, any problems (ex., ad-blockings), Conversion Rates, A/B split testing, and more!
NOTE: For discussions on specific TYPES of monetization, please see the forums immediately below.
IMPORTANT for SBI for WP users: Like all other forums, use whichever forum fits best with your business's question and contribute there. If you're wondering about a membership plugin, for example, discuss in the Membersip forum.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1354448 by Ringaudas from London
Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:50 am
I can't edit that post so this is a new one.

Just imagine how much material you already have from your studies and
it is probably ready for publishing. I would be working day/night to publish that good material online.
How many pages can you make of it. I guess 1000 or something.

If you have a passion this does not mean you will be generating cash from it.
I have a passion for photography so what. Zero income from photography atm.

I wish you will go the right way.

Regards,
#1356699 by Ulla from Luxemburg
Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:24 pm
Hi Ringaudas/ all,

Thanks for your suggestion. The reason I'm sticking to the natural health website are:

1) I think I can provide something that has not been provided before with natural health. May be hard to believe but I do think so. So I think the potential for the website to get a lot of traffic is good.
2) I already work in architecture full-time, there is no way I could make myself work in it on my free time also.
3) I will definitely NOT want to start a second site until I've made the most out of the first one. To get to 300 visitors per day took me many years and I would not start the process from scratch.
4) I couldn't even begin to think who to direct an architecture website to. Natural health can be directed to the general public but architecture...?
5) I want to generate passive income from adverts, ebooks, maybe products - gradually becoming more independent from selling my time for work (be paid a fixed sum hourly, daily or monthly).
6) Lack of material is not a problem with my current site - time is more of a hindrance.

The problem now is that the ebooks stopped selling. I don't understand why because the visitor numbers are the same. I haven't had one sale since the end of July, until then the sales were quite steady. Visitor numbers have not stopped but I have not updated the website much during the summer. I also didn't update it much last year however. I still get newsletter subscriptions but less of those also.

Any thoughts from anyone much appreciated,

Ulla
#1356745 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:15 am
Ulla from Luxemburg wrote:Lack of material is not a problem with my current site - time is more of a hindrance.

Time is a problem for all of us–unless we can work full-time on our site. Even then it still needs managing carefully.

The problem now is that the ebooks stopped selling. I don't understand why because the visitor numbers are the same. I haven't had one sale since the end of July, until then the sales were quite steady. Visitor numbers have not stopped but I have not updated the website much during the summer. I also didn't update it much last year however. I still get newsletter subscriptions but less of those also.

You might be answering your own question here. Whenever I neglect my site the traffic falls. I think there's no way around this one. If your books sales had fallen and you were still updating the website, then you could look elsewhere for problems.

Also it depends (partly) on the original sales. If they were very low (10's a month), then it may not be surprising that you've not sold any without a serious attempt at marketing. But if you were selling 100's a month, then it is strange and may require a different approach.
#1356749 by Mary from Mico
Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:35 am
Hi Ulla,

Double check the code you're using on your ebook sales pages/blocks. Is it still working?

'Just an idea.

Mary
#1356756 by Ulla from Luxemburg
Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 am
Thanks Mark and Mary,

The code for the book is still working, just checked, and traffic didn't fall at all at the same time as the book sales... I was selling about 2-7 ebooks per month.

I think the sales might go up when I send out more newsletters, that might be the cause of the change...
#1356800 by Mary from Mico
Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:49 am
Newsletters can lead to sales.

Edited to note: I had a time where I was building many new pages, yet had not had a monetization block. Ooops! Those were the pages I'd promoted in the newsletters.... Do make certain that you have your monetization easy for visitors to see and to use.

Me? My sales increased immensely when I put my own "ad" in the below first paragraph spot.

Also, be sure not to name your image links with an image that has the term ad in the file name. One of my images had had that in the url and the adblockers were what kept blocking the image. Bizarre. It only linked to an internal page and had no affiliate code.

I look forward to learning what works for you.

Mary
#1357219 by Ulla from Luxemburg
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 pm
So I've put back the advert that I had at the END of every article on my website - a piece of text that advertises my book - and straight away I've got two sales in three days. I think the reason the sales stopped was because I took down that advert last spring/ early summer!

I might experiment with an above the fold ad too, but will lose Adsense earnings that way. I think I will do that when my second ebook - a small booklet for sale at a lower price, about calcification - is ready for publishing.

Thank you Mary! :)

Ulla
#1357220 by Mary from Mico
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 pm
Hi Ulla!

Awesome!!!!

Happy dance for you!

It's amazing how we can tweak or edit our sites in a way we otherwise would not.

I am so glad for you!

Mary - Who looks forward to your announcement that you've met the goal of your original post!
#1364244 by Ringaudas from London
Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 am
Hello,
$2860 per month is a lot. If you talk about this money as money after taxes
and expenses its really a lot of money.
I think you need a full time job hours to put in to get this money.
Do you do this at the moment.

Or may be you can write an article of 1500 words per day and
not spend full time hours on it.

From what I see we need to put a lot of work in the beginning and after that
almost any business runs by itself. So if you work long hours on the site the
first year then yes, why not, may be even more money you can earn.