A wide-open SBI! Forum that discusses how to sell (vs. PREsell). Includes general discussions on copywriting (download and read "Make Your Words Sell!"), monetization, any problems (ex., ad-blockings), Conversion Rates, A/B split testing, and more!
NOTE: For discussions on specific TYPES of monetization, please see the forums immediately below.
IMPORTANT for SBI for WP users: Like all other forums, use whichever forum fits best with your business's question and contribute there. If you're wondering about a membership plugin, for example, discuss in the Membersip forum.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1370414 by Margeurite from Camden
Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 am
Hi George,

The thing that struck me with you, after reading these posts, is that you are open to suggestion and willing to do what it takes.

You mentioned that AdSense and your affiliate links aren't profitable. I don't think it has anything to do with those two particular avenues of monetizing. At this stage, your site is not generating enough traffic. 300 page views is good and it will get better if you continue to build. But don't continue to build with money as your main motivator. Continue to build with helping your visitors as your main motivator.

Once you have more great content and therefore more visitors you're AdSense and affiliate links will become profitable.

I had a look at around 7 of your pages just now. Just check that your ad code is working. I can see blank spaces where ads might go...no ads...so perhaps the code is not working?

Just keep doing what you're doing, it will work.

All the best to you George.
#1370434 by George from Peterlee
Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 am
Hi Diane,

Thanks for your message, I have changed the index page, added more text and free images. Please can you critique the page, anything that needs to be changed, or added , I have no links or ads on the home page as you have advised - I ll probably remove adsense from entire site, but thats later !

Cheers

George
#1370448 by Diane from Bashaw
Fri May 05, 2017 3:41 pm
Hey George,
Good work on increasing the size of the photos. It adds so much to the experience. You will want to make sure that the photos are high enough quality to be bigger - for instance, lady choosing fish tank looks a little fuzzy.

Great advice from Marguerite - write with the goal of impressing your reader and the money will eventually follow.

I would also suggest that you use a standard headline, sub-headline with a larger font size.

Again, you've gotta improve the grammar:
Are you wanting to keep tropical or saltwater fish?.

You do not need a period after a question mark.

Keep going, every niche is different but you will need a couple hundred of unique visitors per day before you have the potential to make money.
#1370494 by George from Peterlee
Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 am
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your kind words of encouragement and help and advice. I still have a lot of work to do, i need help on which links to feature on footer and sidebar links too.
I ll work on the site more tomorrow , i need to finish the home page then start on all the other pages to get the same look and feel- And i ll do work on grammar too.
The free grammar and pic resizer tool has been a godsend , busy resizing pictures too.Ive also been using a free tool called nibbler - http://www.nibbler.com for seo purposes.

Many thanks again for all your help and advice this far - hopefully my site will gain more visitors and customers ! Here is a pic of latest visitors
Cheers
George
Attachments
20170506_002405.png
20170506_002405.png (28.34 KiB) Viewed 960 times
#1370495 by Margeurite from Camden
Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 am
Hi George,

Wow, you're on a roll! It looks like a completely different site! I'm loving the larger images. Great advice, Diane.

All the best George.
#1370497 by Margeurite from Camden
Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 am
Me again George.

I'm just wondering about the blank spaces. I haven't read all of the posts here, so I do apologize if I've missed something, feel free to tell me to zip it and go away.

Let's take your Glass Fish Tanks page for example. Under the heading "#1: Quality" there's a blank space about 300 x 250. Is this where your ad is going to go? Is it just me that can't see what's supposed to be there?

This blank space occurs on many pages...at least on my desktop.

Perhaps you're just working through each page and I'm getting ahead of things...
#1370566 by George from Peterlee
Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 pm
Hi Margeurite,

Thanks for your reply, I havent worked on that page as yet , I want to get the home page looking good and set up properly - May I ask which links go in the footer please? I have my facebook banner which links to my fb page - will that look ok under neath all the other existing links I wonder?
Slowly moving forward - oh 311 visitors yesterday !! -

Thanks for all your help thus far !
Best,

George
#1370567 by Margeurite from Camden
Sat May 06, 2017 11:49 pm
Hi George,

There's no set rule as to what goes in your footer. If you look at mine, Diane's and Elly's you'll see that they're all different.

I have put links to my home, about, contact, site map, affiliate disclosure and privacy policy pages in my footer.

As for whether or not it will look okay, just have a play around until you get it looking the way you want it to look, (I use preview heaps) and hit build when you like what you see.

Your home page is looking great - I really like the large images. Congrats on your 311 visitors yesterday! It's a good feeling and that number will continue to grow.
#1370664 by George from Peterlee
Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 pm
Hi Margeurite,

Yes the traffic is steadily climbing, still go a lot more work to do on all the pages - I like the look of my home page apart from the responsive header, which i ll need to fix soon.
I notice the header title is clickable, so i ll forgo adding the home page link to the actual home page.

I ll start changing all other pages and improving, adding more images and content to each page, maybe i ll leave some adsense on some pages but not all. The aquarium product review pages, i ll link to amazon ads, and test them, see if they convert well !

Ive been told that product reviews linking to amazon do quite well, but in the niche of aquariums, ive yet to see definate proof !

Moving forward :D

George