How to 1) create or locate graphics or 2) prepare digital photography for your site. Also, share your favorite tools, image sources and resources, and image-using ideas.
NOTE: Basic questions on using the Image Library belong in the Sitebuilder Libraries & Tools forum.

Moderator: Laura from Chautauqua

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1371550 by David from California
Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Yahoo selling out to Verizon.

Here is what I have been reading in Yahoo Terms of Service

Terms of Service Update

May 12, 2017

If you haven’t heard, Yahoo plans to sell its operating business to Verizon. We anticipate the close to occur in June 2017. At the close, the Yahoo operating business will join the Verizon family of companies, and Yahoo Holdings, Inc. will be offering the Yahoo services you love and enjoy.

In connection with this proposed transaction, Yahoo is updating its terms of service to reflect the Yahoo Holdings, Inc. name and to add the following sentence to Section 28: “Yahoo may freely assign the TOS and all of the policies and other documents incorporated or referenced in it (including all rights, licenses, and obligations under it or them), in whole or in part and without notice (my bold).”

These updated terms are effective immediately for any new user registrations. For existing users, they will automatically be effective on June 8, 2017, unless you cancel your Yahoo account(s) before then.

I had a smilar experience with awful results to me. I had uploaded hundreds of photos to Ofoto on trips in South America. Ofoto said they would keep these photos indefinitely.

I didn't need the photos for a number of months. When I went back to find them, Ofoto had sold to Kodak and my photos were gone. As far as I know I never received any warning that there was a time limit to download my photos and I am still sore over losing hundreds of irreplaceable photos.

My advice: Download your Flickr photos immediately.

Most of the major companies, inclding Yahoo, state that they reserve the right to cancel your account at any time without notice. Also, if your photos aren't downloaded now, it is possible that Verizon will start charging you for storing them.
#1371553 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm
Wow, that just makes me shake my head! And I have to wonder how my own personal emails are going to work under the "new" company, including AT&T emails (AT&T uses Yahoo Mail to offer its customers an email account with their AT&T services - Uverse, DirectTV, etc.). UGH!

Debs
#1371586 by David from California
Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 am
Yes, Debs, it's a big question raiser. I believe I will cancel my Yahoo email account that I have had for 17 years. I don't trust changing companies.