How to 1) create or locate graphics or 2) prepare digital photography for your site. Also, share your favorite tools, image sources and resources, and image-using ideas.
NOTE: Basic questions on using the Image Library belong in the Sitebuilder Libraries & Tools forum.

Moderator: Laura from Chautauqua

#1372586 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm
We are currently spending some time on a farm out in the sticks, and have very limited internet connectivity for our phones. So we switched off the automatic download of images to save on data.

I happened to look at my site on my phone yesterday (just curious to see how a new page was doing) and realized I need to do a couple of things: (especially for my visitors who don;t have great bandwidth and who may ALWAYS have images turned off)

1) caption ALL my photos :roll: I only have captions on some of my photos, and when scrolling through my page without images, it really helps to have a caption there to indicate that there is an image waiting to be seen. My pages are very image-orientated, I use photos to illustrate/demonstrate my activities. Without captions, my readers won't know there is an image to illustrate that point!

2) redo my nav button fonts in a color which shows up against white :shock: My nav bar font is very light, which is great against my dark buttons, but not so great when the buttons are not visible when the images don't load. This is now top of my to-do list (suggestions on how to change the font in only mobile view will be welcomed!!!)

3) consider a call out at the top of the page just for mobile users, that advises that they turn images on for a better viewing experience (and reassure them that all my photos are reasonable small and won't gobble too much data). Has anyone else done this?

Hope my experience today helps someone!
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added to FAQ sticky.
#1372588 by Mary from Mico
Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm
Thank you for this note Tracey!

Another thing I note the few times I view sites on a phone is that, if I am in broad daylight, it's hard to read period. Your notes about contrast are an excellent caution. Do you fill in the Alt tag for your images?

Now to view my own sites with images off..... Oh, for time! :D

Mary
#1372594 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm
Tracey from Du Toitskloof wrote:caption ALL my photos
This would be a huge job for me - I always put alt text, but not captions. Is this one of those 80/20 things?
#1372728 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 pm
Debs from SiteSell wrote:@Jacki - do the easiest thing, a page notice only ... better viewing if images are turned on, yada yada if you don't want to take the time to do captions.
Great idea.
#1373474 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 pm
Mary,
I haven't been filling in the alt tag very regularly, but to my knowledge, that only shows up if you hover over it? Correct me if I'm wrong!

The captions seem to show up, even if the image doesn't - but there is no way I am going through all my pages to recaption them all (I'm with you on that one, Jacki!!) So I am going to put a little blurb just visible to mobile users in my sitewide dot below first paragraph (that they need to enable images) - I hope that works :?
#1375708 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 am
Life intervened, sorry for not coming back to post earlier!

Been playing around today with the alt/captioning in mobile view. These are my observations:

Captions are always visible when images are turned off, whereas alt tags are NOT. Folk don't "hover" in mobile view anyway, as far as I know, they just scroll and click...So it seems that the best way to let people know there are images to be viewed, is to caption them.

Otherwise all they see is a black line on your page where the image should be :shock:

This is particularly important if it is a clickable image, taking the visitor to another page. When there is no caption, your clickable image is just a black line :shock:
However, if your clickable image is captioned,the caption is clickable.

I have just realized that even my site header is NOT visible in mobile view when images are switched off. :(

Needless to say, I have finally got a callout box in mobile view only (asking viewers to enable images), in the sitewide dot below H1 header...and it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in traffic navigating through my site.
#1375710 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am
Laura just helped me out SOOOOO much getting my nav buttons to show up in mobile with images turned off...

here is her reply https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=222757&start=0&#p1373508

If you use this step, just put your own color (hex figures?) instead of the one she plugged in for me.

Thanks Laura, you totally made my day today!!!
#1375759 by Mary from Mico
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:36 pm
Thank you for posting Tracey!

This settles any question of mine whether to caption or not. Very helpful.

Mary
Who doesn't use her cell phone much. Her children usually have it. :-)