How to 1) create or locate graphics or 2) prepare digital photography for your site. Also, share your favorite tools, image sources and resources, and image-using ideas.
NOTE: Basic questions on using the Image Library belong in the Sitebuilder Libraries & Tools forum.

Moderator: Laura from Chautauqua

#1372586 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm
We are currently spending some time on a farm out in the sticks, and have very limited internet connectivity for our phones. So we switched off the automatic download of images to save on data.

I happened to look at my site on my phone yesterday (just curious to see how a new page was doing) and realized I need to do a couple of things: (especially for my visitors who don;t have great bandwidth and who may ALWAYS have images turned off)

1) caption ALL my photos :roll: I only have captions on some of my photos, and when scrolling through my page without images, it really helps to have a caption there to indicate that there is an image waiting to be seen. My pages are very image-orientated, I use photos to illustrate/demonstrate my activities. Without captions, my readers won't know there is an image to illustrate that point!

2) redo my nav button fonts in a color which shows up against white :shock: My nav bar font is very light, which is great against my dark buttons, but not so great when the buttons are not visible when the images don't load. This is now top of my to-do list (suggestions on how to change the font in only mobile view will be welcomed!!!)

3) consider a call out at the top of the page just for mobile users, that advises that they turn images on for a better viewing experience (and reassure them that all my photos are reasonable small and won't gobble too much data). Has anyone else done this?

Hope my experience today helps someone!
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added to FAQ sticky.
#1372588 by Mary from Mico
Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm
Thank you for this note Tracey!

Another thing I note the few times I view sites on a phone is that, if I am in broad daylight, it's hard to read period. Your notes about contrast are an excellent caution. Do you fill in the Alt tag for your images?

Now to view my own sites with images off..... Oh, for time! :D

Mary
#1372594 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm
Tracey from Du Toitskloof wrote:caption ALL my photos
This would be a huge job for me - I always put alt text, but not captions. Is this one of those 80/20 things?
#1372662 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm
Great tips! I put this thread as an FAQ sticky ;)

@Jacki - do the easiest thing, a page notice only ... better viewing if images are turned on, yada yada if you don't want to take the time to do captions.

Debs
#1372728 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 pm
Debs from SiteSell wrote:@Jacki - do the easiest thing, a page notice only ... better viewing if images are turned on, yada yada if you don't want to take the time to do captions.
Great idea.
#1373474 by Tracey from Du Toitskloof
Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 pm
Mary,
I haven't been filling in the alt tag very regularly, but to my knowledge, that only shows up if you hover over it? Correct me if I'm wrong!

The captions seem to show up, even if the image doesn't - but there is no way I am going through all my pages to recaption them all (I'm with you on that one, Jacki!!) So I am going to put a little blurb just visible to mobile users in my sitewide dot below first paragraph (that they need to enable images) - I hope that works :?
#1373811 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:10 pm
It also depends on the browser being used. I believe some only show the "alt" and others only show the "title."

Debs