How to 1) create or locate graphics or 2) prepare digital photography for your site. Also, share your favorite tools, image sources and resources, and image-using ideas.
NOTE: Basic questions on using the Image Library belong in the Sitebuilder Libraries & Tools forum.

Moderator: Laura from Chautauqua

#1376754 by Kristie from Mattice
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:31 pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how I can upload a pdf to a webpage, preferrably without having to convert it first. I have hundreds to do so something simple would be best.

Thanks
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Split off FAQ.
#1376756 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 pm
Upload the PDF(s) via Quick Upload It (Under WebFTP tools in Site Central)

Then you add to whatever pages you want, even Thank You pages.

In BB2, add text block, add your text you want to use to link to the PDF

Highlight the text, click the link icon in the toolbar

Select "Content Files" folder in the popup

Find your PDF and select it.

Then click the button "Add Selected Content File" and that's it.

I recommend you also click the "nofollow" icon while the text is still highlighted for any PDFs you add.

Here is a thread discussing PDFs you may find interesting:
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=223117

Debs
#1376763 by Kristie from Mattice
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:23 pm
thanks for that! I love SBI for these kinds of easy solutions.

However, I notice there is a limit of space here.... If i have hundreds to upload should I be looking at another way?

Thanks
#1376767 by Mary from Mico
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:52 pm
Hi Kristie.

However, I notice there is a limit of space here.... If i have hundreds to upload should I be looking at another way?

Not yet.

I would get used to building web pages and uploading PDFs first. Do be sure to use a file size minimizer before you upload. My daughters did this for me, and they saved us 1/3 the space we'd been using. I'm not techy enough to remember how they did that or even its proper name. I think we Googled for directions, yet they might have had it in Adobe.

Currently, I have thousands of one to twelve page PDFs on [Domain Private] and am using less than half of my Special File Manager available space.

When you get close to needing more space, is the time to wonder. At that time you'll find that there are solutions that can be almost free and SBI Support can be helpful there, too.

For now the trouble of the day is enough. :D

I hope that this is a help.

Mary
#1376870 by Kristie from Mattice
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm
Ok thanks thats super helpful. It'll work for most of the PDF's I'm posting! Yay!

Do you know if theres a way to make those PDF's interactive? Like put a link in them, or do I need to convert to html for that?

Thanks
#1376879 by Mary from Mico
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 am
Hi Kristie.

We use Adobe and

Holding ALT successively press T, W, R

As you can see I'm no tech, but if you're familiar with this give it a try.

Here's a page where we have PDFs where visitors can write on them. Try downloading it to see if the typewriter purple bar shows at the top:

[Domain Private]

Hoping this helps.

Mary
#1377868 by Susan from Rosemount
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 pm
I'm new to this topic and feeling a bit lost. Some clarification would be a big help. Is Upload It! for making files available to our readers that they can then download to their computers? I've been searching for clarification on how it's used, and anything I've found just doesn't make it clear. I have a few Word docs and Excel spreadsheets that I'd like to share with my readers that may find them helpful, but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for any advice.
#1377869 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:31 pm
Susan from Rosemount wrote:Is Upload It! for making files available to our readers that they can then download to their computers?
That's exactly what it's for! Read the help files (little grey question mark beside every tool).
#1377870 by Mary from Mico
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 pm
Hi Susan,

You are right on this:

Is Upload It! for making files available to our readers that they can then download to their computers?

Yes, it's how I use UploadIt.

It uploads files into the Special File Manager on Site Central and forms a list of the files to which you can link from any of your web pages. Simply click on the file there to see a drop down that gives you the online address of that upload or, better, when you're in Site Builder click on the link files, scroll down on the left to Content where you can click on the same link to add it to your page. There are ? Help buttons that offer more advice.

I see that Jacki beat me to it! :-)

I hope this is a help.

Mary
#1377889 by Susan from Rosemount
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm
Thanks Mary and Jacki. I did already read all the help files, but if you don't already know what they're talking about, you don't really know what they're talking about. :shock: I really couldn't tell if it's just referring to uploading images, etc for our websites, or what; it doesn't specifically say. Thanks for the clarification. It makes more sense to me now.

My next question is: if I want to send readers from my e-book or e-course to the documents, can I do that directly or do I have to send them to a website page first?

It looks like I can't upload Excel files. :(
#1377896 by Mary from Mico
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:11 am
Hi Susan.

Me too:

I did already read all the help files, but if you don't already know what they're talking about, you don't really know what they're talking about. :shock:

It was my 18 year old daughter who figured it out and then showed me. :shock:

Yes, you can link directly from your ebook to your PDF; yet you might want to host it on a T3 or T4 web page so you can make explanations and up-sell from there, OR maybe noindex the .html page so the PDF thieves cannot scoop it up. I know one SBIer who keeps her downloads on a thank you page so that they never reside on the net, yet are handy for visitors to retrieve.

It looks like I can't upload Excel files. :(

I did not know that. Thank you for that note.

Mary
#1378004 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:29 pm
You need to create zip (compressed) files from your doc or xls files first, then upload each zip.

Doc and XLS files can harbor harmful scripts, so zipping them first keeps the files clean. It also usually reduces file sizes too which is helpful to visitors when downloading.

Debs
#1378038 by Mary from Mico
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm
Thank you for this note Debs!

We had to do that for larger PDF files, too.

Mary