How to 1) create or locate graphics or 2) prepare digital photography for your site. Also, share your favorite tools, image sources and resources, and image-using ideas.
NOTE: Basic questions on using the Image Library belong in the Sitebuilder Libraries & Tools forum.

Moderator: Laura from Chautauqua

#1385606 by Julie from Fox Island
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 am
What image size for a page on a website would best fit all social media websites?

Like Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook images have different image sizes that will display best.

Do I create 3 different image sizes to appease all?

or is there some easier solution.

Thanks
#1385647 by Paula from Owatonna
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:23 pm
No, I don't think there is one size that fits all, unfortunately. So I guess you can either decide to focus on one or two target platforms and optimise for that.

Another option is to hide the images from the front end with a bit of code (google hide pinterest images and several examples are there) . This hides them until someone tries to share then it offers the other choices. I think this is not a great solution as hiding things is never great for G and also people are more likely to share something if they can see it. Eg Pinterest like longer images and they are attractive in the content.
#1385669 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Please note: Some of the information in this post is incorrect. See my post below for correct image sizes. Cath, Content Team.

I found that 735px wide X 1102px tall, works best for Pinterest, FaceBook, Tumblr, and Google+
This is incorrect information. Whilst this size is OK for Pinterest, it is not right for the other platforms. CA

Seeing how I found a size that works for 4 networks, I decided to use that 1 size for all of them. However Reddit and Twitter look better with something closer to a square, then a rectangle.

I use Canva (it's free) https://www.canva.com to make all of my Pin images.

They have a template that is 735px wide X 1102px tall, because it's standard fit for many networks
[No - this size is standard for Pinterest only - CA]
, so I started using it and have not had to make different sizes.
Last edited by Cath, SiteSell Content Team on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Post edited to correct information as noted. CA, Content Team Lead.
#1385768 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm
Social media image sizes are notoriously a pain to get right, and more of a pain because they all differ.

Wendy gives the correct size for Pinterest: 735 or 736 is standard for the width. 1102 is the minimum suggested size for length. Length can actually be any size between 1102 and 2061. Any longer than that and the image will be cut off in mobile view. Most "gurus" suggest using 735 x 1182 as standard - the size that seems to do best.

Facebook does not like portrait images (ie long). FB images should be either square or landscape. They will be cut off halfway down in the newsfeed if you post a long image. The standard for a landscape FB post is 1200 wide x 628 high.

Instagram is 1080 x 1080.

Twitter is 1200 x 675.

The closest accurate information which gathers all the sizes together in one place that I've been able to find is this infographic: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/ulti ... nfographic

But bear in mind, the best way to check the current optimum size for each platform is to choose which platform(s) you want to use and check on the platform itself. Help pages usually have the information. If you're just starting with Social Media, choose one platform, get that under your belt in terms of knowing how to use it and what the optimum image sizes are, then move onto the next.

So to answer your original question, Julie, no there's no easy way of doing this! The optimum size for your website page will depend on which SM platforms you're using. So for example, I tend to have a Pinnable image at the top of my page and a FB-sized one somewhere in the middle. That's what works for my niche though. The only way to know what works for yours is to try different positions and see how they do each month by looking at your stats, for example to see how popular that Pin has been.

If you upload the size for the platform you're using, you can then use the drag handles in the image block to make the image smaller, if it seems to overwhelm your page. When the image is pulled through to (for example) Pinterest, it will render at the size you uploaded it.

Hope that helps.

Cath.
#1387805 by Mary from Mico
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:13 am
Hi Julie,

As I'm updating my pages and finding what goes where and trying to do it all in one pass, I am using the info that Cath provided with a twist.

I cannot seem to get Facebook to take my wide image if it is not the first one. You can check what FB offers using its debugger tool:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

So I've been making horizontal images for the top image and putting a long image at the bottom while marking them both with a Pin description as here (long page). Most of my pages have many Pinnable images:

[Domain Private]

You can go to my blog to see other recent pages where I've tried to set up a similar pattern.

This way Facebook gets the landscape image it wants, which makes it easy for me to share on my FB Page, and the codes are on the top and bottom image if someone wants to pin either image (as for personal bookmarking, not necessarily for business boards) or both images.

Previous to Cath's post tonight I've been using these guides:

TOP: FB size: (Old: 476px x 249px) (NEW: 1200 wide x 628 20171205)
Lower to Bottom: Pin size: 735 px x 1104 px, mobile limit 2061 px h

Yet actually with my worksheets, I've left the images at 1000 wide which, because they're already portrait shaped, are long enough for Pinterest. These seem to resize well.

I guess I'll be doing the same with the FB images or maybe increasing to 1200 wide (Pinterest resizes and FB must also). :shock:

For a while there, it had seemed that FB was taking the middle of a long image for its landscape cut (Jacki?). I did not know about what Cath has posted tonight. It's why last year I put my "logo cum watermark" in the center of my PrintNPractice worksheets (meaning that this was 2016 info because that's when I started doing that). Here is a September 2017 FB post showing the middle shot:

https://www.facebook.com/PrintNPractice ... 4459242266

'Just some ideas....

Mary