Pour yourself an e-cappuccino and c'mon in. This is the spot for idle chat, gossip, rumors, and personal news. If it is personal, it belongs here, as long as it's done well and stays friendly. :-)

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1366900 by ken-admin
Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm
Hi to all,

We recently did a survey of 52 top SBIers, all chosen from results.sitesell.com. The original goal was to find out what matters most in Solo Build It! -- what impacts their outcome/success the most?

-----SIDEBAR-----
I'm working on an article for the blog about widespread
solopreneur failure. It's pretty amazing...

So when we talk about "SBIer success," we're talking about
a whole different frame of reference...

"Good traffic" for a non-SBIer solopreneur is not particularly
great for the levels that SBIers generate.
-----SIDEBAR-----

We generated a ton of information from the survey -- useful (as we had hoped). It indicates where to accentuate some of our future content and software development (build on success, right? :-) ). For example, Brainstorm It!/MKL was a huge favorite...

So we'll be building more features into it (ex., site blueprinting, and even more "smart features" that will partner with you throughout the entire life of your online business).

So far, so useful! :-)

--

As we read the answers, though, we also realized that there are some tremendous lessons for all. They are either stated directly in their answers or "between the lines" of those answers that talk about SBI!-specific features.

We decided to publish the results of the survey in the blog for 2 reasons...

1) Lessons

The post shares how important it is for solopreneurs to focus on what really matters, and where to put the focus.

-----SIDEBAR-----
That may sound obvious, but it's not the way it works out...

Most people fail. One big reason, perhaps THE biggest reason, is
that most spend too much time on low-yield activities (ex., writing
without knowing how to connect and deliver what folks want, or
reading "what's new" instead of adding a new page of high-value
content or SM post, or maximizing your $-per-visitor, etc.).

That's why solopreneurs, even those with a ton of BAM, can work
very hard, feeling very "focused," without actually putting 100% of
their efforts on the best ACTION that moves the business ahead.

The result is predictable.
-----SIDEBAR-----

-and-

2) Marketing

We want to promote SBI!, naturally! :-)

As I've written before, we got mighty spoiled with the affiliate program. But a major shift in the tectonic plates has made it unaffordable to compete with some of the commissions being paid out (without increasing the price, that is, something I never want to do -- SBI! should be accessible to anyone with BAM!).

The SBIer success stories (with applicable takeaway lessons) have been popular...

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/real-life-success-lessons/

And we're looking to create more new types of content that don't just add to the noise. That's easier said than done in the hyper-crowded space of "internet marketers."

This one is an excellent example -- a mix of original content that only we could produce AND promote.

-----

I'm sharing that blog post with you, here in the forums, for the same 2 reasons, albeit with some fine-tuning since THIS post reaches you, the SBIer...

1) Lessons

You already know how much emphasis we put on the need to "focus and follow" the AG. We've got your back covered regarding what's going on in the blogosphere.

So you won't be surprised to read that time-saving, directly and indirectly, turns out to be a recurring theme in the survey.

But I think you'll be interested to see what some of the top SBIers focus upon most. What activities are mentioned most, what parts of SBI! helped them get to where they are today?

Drumroll please, here we go...

52 Top SBI! Solopreneurs Share Their Must-Do "Non-Secrets" of Success

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/03/so ... crets.html

The question was simple..

What are the top 3 ways in which SBI! has contributed to your success?

Read the intro...

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/03/so ... crets.html

And then check out the "wisdom of crowds" summary. This tabulates and analyzes the replies..

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/03/so ... ml#SUMMARY

If you have a few minutes, jump back up and read each SBIer's answer. There are some EXCELLENT individual insights there, a few of which may resonate for you.

Enjoy the nuggets!

And the corresponding 2nd reason, adapted for you...

2) Marketing

Help us spread the word! Head over to the roundup and leave a comment. And please help spread the post on your favorite social media channels -- mention it on your personal FB or other accounts instead of your "niche-biz" account.

-----SIDEBAR-----
🗣👥 We're Looking for Folks with BAM!

We need your help reaching people with BAM -- no one knows SBI!
better than you. The average Facebook user has 300 friends...

At least a few must be thinking of a way to increase income,
whether part-time (ex., supplement family income or monetize a
hobby) or full-time (ex., quit the day job, sell services, etc.).

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, comes from an
awesome line in one of my favorite old movies, A Bronx Tale...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.

In SBI! jargon, that translates to...

The saddest thing in life is wasted BAM.

--

Now, here's the thing...

I don't feel sorry for folks who believe the TV commercials, put
up a "stunning site" and expect an "ItsThatEasy" business. Those
who believe in "easy money" are destined to fail, no matter what
system they use.

But I do feel bad for those with BAM. They "put up a site," work
like crazy to figure it all out, and almost always fail -- when
they could have used SBI!.

We don't have the budget for Super Bowl ads (we would REALLLLLLY
have to increase SBI!'s price ;-) ). But we do have the best
friends in the world 👉 right here...

Your friends (the ones with BAM) should become our friends.

I'll be providing you with the occasional great blog post that
would translate well in Facebook, or an image that could be pinned
or IG'd (um, like the one above!) -- or whatever your social media
creativity comes up with.

The goal is to let more folks-with-BAM know about SBI!. At any
given moment, some of them are thinking about starting an online biz
- I'd rather see them here (winning🏆) than at Wix (floundering🐠)!

Please help grow the community, and the funding that lets us keep
growing the SBI! advantage ever larger, over everything else.

Thanks a million for your support! 💫
-----SIDEBAR-----

OK, open for comments. I'd love to hear your comments on the blog post and get feedback to this forum post.

All the best,
Ken

P.S. A super-big THANK YOU to all who participated and extra thanks to those who gave us permission to publish their replies.
#1366934 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 am
ken-admin

OK, open for comments. I'd love to hear your comments on the blog post and get feedback to this forum post.

I'm probably finding it a tad intimidating writing a comment here Ken, to your forum post but I felt I needed to share a few things.

I've been around since 2009 and regrettably I'm not one of SBI's great success stories - well as far as my bank account goes. I'd love to say I am but hey, that's the way it is.

I have been successful, however, in building a great looking site (to my eyes anyway) that does wobble along making a bit of money here and there. I've loved every minute of the relationship with SBI, the learning curve and most of all the amazing friends I now know all over the world :D

As far as success goes, could be the niche I chose, my interpretation of the Action Guide, my implementation of all action steps in building the website or maybe the way I have been holding my tongue all these years - who knows :roll:

Whatever the reason is, I'm still here, still adding content, still learning and trying to understand the latest wizz - bang idea that crops into forum discussions.

I've been wacked by pandas and poked by penguins and patched myself up. Not sure if I have been kicked by the zebra (most likely have) but I'm wobbling along thinking that the penny just might drop one day and I'll crack it :!:

Now where was I :?: Oh yes, you want some comment on your post and the blog article.

Firstly - Your Forum Post

1) Lessons

The post shares how important it is for solopreneurs to focus on what really matters, and where to put the focus.

-----SIDEBAR-----
That may sound obvious, but it's not the way it works out...

Most people fail. One big reason, perhaps THE biggest reason, is
that most spend too much time on low-yield activities (ex., writing
without knowing how to connect and deliver what folks want, or
reading "what's new" instead of adding a new page of high-value
content or SM post, or maximizing your $-per-visitor, etc.).

That's why solopreneurs, even those with a ton of BAM, can work
very hard, feeling very "focused," without actually putting 100% of
their efforts on the best ACTION that moves the business ahead.

Perhaps I need to read this over and over and over again until it sinks in :!::!::!:

2) Marketing

We want to promote SBI!, naturally! :-)

Never been a problem for me as it comes naturally if I believe in something and WOW do I believe in Solo Build It (SBI)

How much better could I do my job if I had what people seem to understand as real success to show them - meaning Financial Success. It frustrates me that I have so very little that is tangible to show for my efforts :shock::?:?:roll:

If there is one piece of advice that I could offer anyone considering building an online business it is this ...

Choose your Niche wisely and then follow the Action Guide 100%

Secondly - The Blog:

I read from top to toe and all places in between and it is thorough, effective, not pushy and highly informative.

Leads to an automatic MWR - Get Started Here Click that button :!::!::!:

That is the Solo Build It! advantage.

Sure Is

Hope that has been a little insightful :D
Cheers,
#1367165 by ken-admin
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 pm
Hi Marylyn,

Thanks for such a positive note.

You're someone who I've love to see doing better. You're a wonderful force here in the forums and are certainly trying. You're not failing (doing better than the average solopreneur), but you're not thriving.

As I said in this post that talked about the roundup (it was "upcoming" at the time)...

http://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1365842#p1365842

There's nothing [that they do] that you couldn't do. Reading "between the lines" of their comments says it all 👉 It's how well they GET and FOLLOW the core concepts.

You have the BAM, Marylyn, we all know that. So why don't you do better? I took at look at your site about Melbourne (a city that Janice and I really loved - we were even there for Moomba :-) ).

Most folks fail at a pretty high level. The number one reason that MOST solopreneurs do NOT succeed is because they are NOT using SBI!. Heck, we have to do something about that! ;-)

But seriously...

What about SBIers? The quote above suggests that some may understand certain concepts, but they don't internalize them in a way that enables them to execute well.

After spending a few minutes on your home page (and a little clicking around), the most obvious "miss" is not understanding your visitor.

Now, I'm sure you DO have a good thumbnail of your visitor. You understand him/her. From what I can see, though, this is a good example of what I mean by "but they don't act on it."

-----SIDEBAR-----
My comments below will be in the voice of your visitor, not "Ken."
Don't take them badly - they may sound "rough," but that's your
visitor talking, not me. Deal? :-)
-----SIDEBAR-----

You understand the concept, but it does not show. Here's what I mean - let's visit...

http://www.family-getaways-melbourne.com

In order of how I noticed things...

1) Nice impression. A huge and gorgeous cover photo. So far, so good.

2) "I Would Love You To Subscribe To My FREE Newsletter"

Geez, why do I care what YOU would love. What's in it for ME?

Ken's comment on this: People don't enage with sentences on websites that start with...

"I would love"

"It's my opinion"

"We are delighted to announce"

"I am really excited about"

We all do this, but we all need to realize that no cares about what delights us. You have to put yourself inside of your thumbnail visitor's skin - stay there while writing.

SUGGESTION: "Receive free Melbourne Family Getaway updates" would be cleaner and it uses the imperative (a more active tense). Also, it could link to a specific page about the newsletter, too, in case the visitor wants more info.

A couple of other points about this Hello Bar...

- i) I can't click it away (if it's possible, I didn't find it). That's super annoying, especially on mobile where it takes a lot of vertical space.

SUGGESTION: Nori's disappears as soon the reader scrolls down, returns when scrolling up. Other options are to provide an option to close it.

- ii) The freebie version forces you to have that "H" branding/link for Hello Bar which tells me (the visitor) to, "Convert more visitors into customers with Hello Bar." What the heck?

So I'm pretty annoyed, perhaps confused if I clicked on that H.

It's not worth hurting your "Brand of One" to save the few dollars it costs to buy the full version, Marylyn.

3) Next I see...

I click it and I get... an ad for Viator? Really? I like to make my own tours and you're already funneling me to a tour business??

I'd be gone by now. But we'll continue

4) Headline: "I LOVE MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA"

Really? It's all about you again? AND YOU ARE SHOUTING AT ME?

4) Subhead (smaller): "AND SO WILL YOU!"

You're screaming that I will, too? Whoa, I'm feeling pretty negative.

There's a way to make it personal without making it obnoxious....

"So What's Your Favorite of All Anguilla Beaches?"

"Favorite Anguilla beaches?" That's a question we are often asked.

We had visited all 33 magnificent stretches of sand during our very first Anguilla vacation.

Over the next several years, Anguilla travel found us in every restaurant, most hotels and many villas. Then we moved to paradise!

See the difference? Nori draws folks in with quietly developed expertise.

5) Next I see...

YOU may find that cool, Ms. Site Owner, but I don't care. Not only that, but...

6) It seems to break most pages on Safari. The pages don't render beyond the headline and that ticker. Now I'm not only giving up on this, I'm hating on Melbourne - maybe I'll visit Adelaide instead. ;-)

7) And finally, the rest of the text on the home page...

Welcome to my site on Melbourne Australia and I'm really looking forward to sharing everything I know about this amazing place.

I grew up in the suburbs of Melbourne and have lived here all my life. Throughout the years I have come to experience the incredible diversity that Melbourne, Australia and all of its outer regions has to offer.

Whether you are a local or an overseas tourist, planning a visit to Melbourne will reward you with everlasting memories.

So it's all about you again? "Welcome to my site" are dead words, a bad way to start. and "I'm really looking forward" is more of the same. Worse, you join the two and make the two statements into a rather awkward run-on sentence.

Put some of that copy about you on your "About Me" page, sure. Even then, be careful about how YOUR VISITOR will react to statements like "I grew up in the suburbs"...

My immediate thought was "so you don't really know the CITY?" This is stronger and differentiates you from your competition...

"Born and raised in Melbourne, I know all nooks and crannies that aren't in the tourist books."

But again - that kind of material belongs in "About me" (unless you can really elevate it to home-page worthy, which the above suggestion is not - it's too flat).

You MUST start your home page much more powerfully, Marylyn (yes, "Ken" is back - that nasty visitor clicked the "Back" button for some other page about Melbourne at Google a while back. ;-)

8 ) There were a few other issues, like funky functioning of the navbar on Safari (tends to disappear just as I scroll over it). But let's focus on this one big issue.

-----SIDEBAR-----
The "Safari issues" here may just be me, since I have a ton of
windows open and a few add-ons. It would not be the first
time, but get a few folks to test the above on Safari.
-----SIDEBAR-----

Now, I know you GET who your customer is, Marylyn. If I gave you a "SBI! multiple choice" exam, you'd get all the answers right. Heck, if I showed you 5 home pages - 4 like yours and one that executed the concepts in Make Your Content PREsell well - you'd pick that 5th one as the best.

AND I know you can do it. So this is a classic as of "I get it but I don't do it."

So here's what I suggest...

1) Review the rest of your site for "Me Syndrome." Do all your pages serve your visitor really well? Is your content going to wow THEM? Do you talk too much about yourself, directly or indirectly? Do you make more "Viator"-type mistakes?

2) Rewrite your home page. Go to the Travel section of results.sitesell.com and look for a great start that knocks you out (as a visitor). Work off that approach. Longer text is better, as long as it's outstanding material.

Then start a new thread for a "Home page and site review" and let Support know that I want to see it.

I didn't and don't want to turn this thread into a site review thread, so we'll leave it there. I found this particularly interesting because....

1) It's you and you deserved some useful feedback from me.

2) I'm writing an article on solopreneurs who fail, starting from the highest level possible (ex., it turns out that many folks would rather watch TV) down to the nitty-gritty of why SBIers-who-put-in-the-work fail.

Given your traffic, you're doing better than the majority of solopreneurs. But you aren't thriving. There is ALWAYS a good reason for that.

As I've written elsewhere, the Internet is just a bunch of computers hooked together by a database and able to talk to each other. Human behavior is predictable. That said, it's a competitive arena.

Most solopreneurs who fail make tons of other mistakes, including some really basic ones like poor allocation of time and a failure to understand what really matters most at any given point of evolution of one's business. SBI! eliminates that ton of variables. What's left?...

I suspect that SBIers who fail to thrive (or outright fail) make fundamental mistakes of execution. This is one example. Once we know more from the study (combining objective evaluation and SBIer feedback, we'll have a better idea on how to push SBI!'s success rate even higher.

In short, we learned a ton from the successful SBIers roundup. It's going to help more folks to do well. The next study is going to help more folks avoid failure (i.e., I want to add by subtracting)!

All the best,
Ken
#1367172 by Julie from Fox Island
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 pm
I got to this after a day of working on my sites.... uggghhh.... too long to read! LOL! I also cringe when I see 3 word hyphenated domains and old SBI templates. Are these site actually working?

I started with SBI in about 2002 and did a site that I sold in 2008 for $35k so I did alright. I thought I could recreate it but it just didn't work the same. I had my first site in Frontpage and read MYSS and made $130k in adsense over 10 years or so. So I have done OK but I need to start making a living so I can retire and still live! LOL

I have a few massage related sites on Wordpress and am starting a new site on SBI on being a solo web preneur of all things.

I have always used SBI for my personal massage business site though and am afraid to move it to anything else. I get most of my clients from my website.

I have always wondered why SBI focuses so much on the stories and such - it sort of makes it look to salesy and too good to be true in my view. I would think you would want to focus on the information on building sites, seo and sharing the latest info on seo and social media and tools for business sort of like how copyblogger.com or problogger.com or entrepreneur-journey.com does it all.

Why don't you use the SBI Way.. Content - Traffic - Presell.Build trust - monetize.

So that is what I am going to do with my new site - [Domain Private]

What do you mean - promote SBI naturally?

Thanks
Julie
#1367174 by Margeurite from Camden
Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am
Here is yet another reason that I feel like I have found the holy grail in SBI!

Ken has just given Marylyn an ENORMOUS amount of advice, that also helped me, and I imagine others. Where else does this happen? So kind, a little brutal, so giving and just plain honest. Our visitors won't tell us this stuff, our family and friends won't tell us - so thank you, Ken!

Julie, check out the top 52 solopreneurs and see how many have hyphenated sites. YES, they still work - very, very well!
#1367176 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 am
Hi Ken

Opening my emails this morning I noticed there had been another post made in this Forum thread so I scurried over to check it out and found the post was written by you and it started with "Hi, Marylyn" (Read in an excited voice)

So excited that I even sat my G'daughter down beside me to share the moment. I started to read your words and suddenly I stopped, looked at her, and said ...

"I think I will read the rest quietly to myself from here" :shock::shock: (read in a deflated balloon voice)

It didn't take me long to realize that I needed to put my 'Business Hat' on because I was about to find out some basic truths from someone who has no reason to sugar coat the truth :shock:

-----SIDEBAR-----
My comments below will be in the voice of your visitor, not "Ken."
Don't take them badly - they may sound "rough," but that's your
visitor talking, not me. Deal? :-)
-----SIDEBAR-----

Deal

Now I'm stepping out of my ego party dress and into my business attire

I'm feeling a tad exposed and definitely uncomfortable. That said I'm prepared to take on board what I'm reading and better still do my darnedest to implement the points suggested, as I do want this 'business' of mine to succeed.

That said, what I'm doing is printing off your post Ken and really studying the material hard. I need to say that I truly appreciate the time you have taken to give me this much needed input.

A quote taken from this post that talked about the roundup (it was "upcoming" at the time)...

http://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1365842#p1365842

“A punch in the gut motivates many of us.”

And this rings true for me :wink:

There is a heck of a lot in your post to digest and it's going to take time to do so. That said and it being Sunday here in Melbourne, I'm collecting the print out and taking it down to Frankston beach with me.

I'll sit on my favorite piece of rock and contemplate your words before I do anything else.

The other thing I'm going to do is choose 10 examples from the success stories found in this post of yours ...

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=222094&p=1367165#p1367165

and study each of their Home Pages

I had no idea I had fallen into the 'Me, Me, Me' trap truthfully :shock::shock::shock: and here I was thinking I had been writing content with a 'you, you, you' intent :!:

Lots of homework to do :roll: Good thing I like my Teacher :lol::lol::lol:

You have given me a starting point and the impetus to get moving in the right direction. (Lord, I wish I could pop you on my shoulder) - "Can I do this?" I'm asking myself. I really have no idea but, hey, I'll give it my best shot :!:

Cheers,

PS:
I may have some questions and comments to make as I work through your post, if so would it be appropriate to do so here or not?
#1367187 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 am
Julie, about this...
Julie from Fox Island wrote:I also cringe when I see 3 word hyphenated domains and old SBI templates. Are these site actually working?

Haha! Both my sites have long hyphenated names and both do very well both in terms of both visitors and money, thank you very much! :D I've given some thought about changing my domain names and decided not to bother. Write what your visitors want to know and they will find you and keep coming back for more. They really don't care whether the site's got three hyphens or none!

And yes, the 52-post is very long but there are some real gems in it. Why not have it emailed to you to read at your leisure later? :) Good luck with the new site, too.

Paul and Marylyn -
Absolutely agree with your comment, Paul. Marylyn, we have known each other for a very long time both here in the forums and in "real life". I know how hard you work on your site, I know how hard you worked after Panda and Penguin hit, and I know how hard you work to help others.

And I know you well enough to know that you'll take the advice, pick yourself up and - where have I heard this before? - start all over again. Except you're not starting all over. You've got a solid base to work from and great advice from the man himself.

I'm telling you now, as Marguerite says, your post and Ken's reply have helped me no end, too, and I know will also help other people. So thank you for having the courage to put yourself out there.

Go for it, my little Aussie mate! :D

Cath.
#1367195 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm
Hey Cath,

I'm telling you now, as Marguerite says, your post and Ken's reply have helped me no end, too, and I know will also help other people. So thank you for having the courage to put yourself out there.

Go for it, my little Aussie mate! :D

:lol::lol::lol: I'm made of Pioneering stuff, my true valued friend :lol::lol::lol:

I did as I said I was going to do today. Took the kid and myself down to Frankston and sat in the sunshine breathing in the salt air.

I'm working through Ken's pointers slowly :wink:

Number 1

Er, :) thank you :)

Number 2

I've changed the Hello Bar Statement up there at the top of the page and tomorrow I will investigate the paid version of same so as to get the 'H' off the bar.

Now reads "Subscribe to receive your FREE monthly Melbourne Family Getaways updates"

At the same time I will look into what options there are to how it shows up and for how long and if it can be clicked away etc.

If I'm not happy with what I'm finding then I will remove it completely.

Found the article to study tomorrow to make my decision fully informed, once again thank you SBI for making this available.

http://findit.sitesell.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/highlight.pl?q=hello%20bar&mode=any&doc_id=127&showurl=http://sbitips.sitesell.com/use-hello-bar-to-engage-your-visitors.html

Number 3

Next I see...

(there is an image here in the post)

I click it and I get... an ad for Viator? Really? I like to make my own tours and you're already funneling me to a tour business??

I'd be gone by now. But we'll continue

No :!::!::!: Don't go :!: Sorry - I'll remove it :oops: Here's where I thought I was offering a service to my visitor. I thought they might be interested in a selection of tours I think are great (yea, I used the word 'I') and funnelled them over to my page T2 page where I have reviewed some tours for them :?:?

I can understand from my visitor's perspective that they might think as you do and just want to do their own thing.

Bit much too soon for them at this stage, hmm. Softly, softly goes it. We have only just met, and it's a bit rude to try and get into their wallet/purse so fast :!: understood - Gosh we aren't even friends and I'm already taking liberties :oops::oops:

Image is down :!:

Number 4

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Bummer :!: Didn't mean to shout. So how the heck am I going to edit the font :?:

Off to Site Designer and I'm looking around getting frustrated and I suddenly find the gear cog :D and there it is. I've never seen that before :roll: In the Text section there is an option for text transformation

In the Design Template the default is AA so now I have chosen Aa

Now I'm not shouting and I've changed the 'Header wording' as well ...

It's Fun To Explore Melbourne Australia
A City Lively And Diverse And Full Of Surprises

Number 5/6

YOU may find that cool, Ms. Site Owner, but I don't care. Not only that, but...

Yes you got me :roll: I thought it was real cool to see where my visitors were coming from and I had no idea that the widget or ticker 'thing' was creating so much of a problem with the Safari browser :shock:

It's off :!: :)

Insert heavy breathing at this stage, decision is made before depression and anxiety strike :lol::lol::lol:

Timeout

This is as far as I have managed to get today in sorting out the Homepage fiasco. Tomorrow I have my work cut out for me in totally re-writing the content in a much friendlier voice and reading it back to myself as if I were a new visitor to the site.

Thank you once again Ken for the time you have taken to critique the front window to my business.

I'm hoping that the changes I'm making are the right ones (at this stage I'm sort of second guessing myself) and the lessons that I'm learning along the way are going towards helping others who are following this forum thread.

Cheers,
#1367204 by ken-admin
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm
Marylyn,

If ever there was any doubt whether you can do this (there wasn't, but just in case), this post should dispel that...

http://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1367176#p1367176

It's fun, tells a story, makes all the right points AND it took the feedback in the spirit intended. More of THAT person should bubble into your main site, BETWEEN the lines. :-)

Regarding the more detailed set of changes in the follow-up post, I'll hold off commenting for now, except to add that such rapid action shows that you are a real BAMmer! ) Good on ya! :-)

When you are totally done, have pushed and made each bit the very best it can be, please start a totally new thread and then, just to make sure I don't miss it, let Support know that it's up (refer back to this thread in the new one so folks can better understand the context).

And thanks very much, too, to the others - I'm glad there was "spill benefit" for others, too.

All the best,
Ken

P.S. I'll be quiet her for a few days since I've got an INBOX of 8 heavy projects to review and/or write. I have only one REALLY MAJOR post to make before I phase out for a bit, which should be up shortly. :-)

P.P.S. I had a quick thought for starting your home page yesterday, so this is a good opp to throw it out there for you to play with (or go in a totally different direction)...

Moomba!

Fairy penguins.

Mongolian BBQs.

If you thought Moomba was a room-vaccuming robot, or that you had to go to the Antarctic to see penguins in the wild or to Mongolia for some of the most delicious BBQ in the world, well...

Welcome to Melbourne, Australia's only must-visit city. Far be it from a lifelong Melbourner to say anything bad about Sydndy (more than 5 times per day), but really, let's get serious...

You haven't visited Australia if you haven't experience its coolest city.

OK, that's just a really rough first pass (I let the headline write itself after I do any article). So it's the aproach here that it is important.

For example, I remember the Mongolian BBQ from years ago - if that was just a "thing" that's gone now, replace with something else. But if it's still a big deal done uniquely well in Melbourne (like "smoked meat" in Montreal), go with it.

The "items" to pick must be the quintessential Melbourne. And regarding Sydney...

Have some fun with the really huge differences (and the rivalry) between the 2 cities, without getting negative (it's very much like Montreal and Toronto - we love to make fun of how staid, sterile and boring Toronto is - "just another modern American city" while Montreal is "Europe in North America).

Anyway, I digess.

And please don't take anything of what I said (above or here) as "gospel." YOU are the one who's closest to the topic. So only YOU can...

Digest. Decide. Do (your own thing). :-)

And with that, let's leave you to it. See you in the other thread in a week or 2.
#1367238 by Margeurite from Camden
Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm
Of course you can do it Marylyn - you're an Aussie - there's no question!

I get a bit serious and formal when it comes to writing on my site. I try to write like I'm talking to a friend, but fall miserably short most of the time.

You, on the other hand, have the gift. Your forum posts are so expressive, funny and engaging. It's like reading a short story. You CAN write beautifully and I know your already great site is set to be truly marvelous! Just use the style you use here - there. I'll visit when you're done so I can learn a thing or two.

I love to visit Melbourne, but prefer to live a little further north where it's a bit (ok a lot) warmer.

All the best Marylyn, you have a champion attitude.
#1367243 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 am
Hi Ken,

For example, I remember the Mongolian BBQ from years ago - if that was just a "thing" that's gone now, replace with something else. But if it's still a big deal done uniquely well in Melbourne (like "smoked meat" in Montreal), go with it.

I must have been busy birthing babies in those days as I have no idea what a 'Mongolian feast' is :lol::lol:

Moomba!

Fairy penguins.

Mongolian BBQs.

If you thought Moomba was a room-vaccuming robot, or that you had to go to the Antarctic to see penguins in the wild or to Mongolia for some of the most delicious BBQ in the world, well...

Welcome to Melbourne, Australia's only must-visit city. Far be it from a lifelong Melbourner to say anything bad about Sydndy (more than 5 times per day), but really, let's get serious...

You haven't visited Australia if you haven't experience its coolest city.

That's an intriguing slant on 'Make Your Content Presell' - great food for thought. Gosh in 2009 I downloaded that book of yours somewhere on my computer. Perhaps this is a good time to dust off the cover and sit down with a bottle of moscato (or 2) and re-read it.

The Melbourne vs Sydney rivalry is more like Sydney vs Melbourne as they feel far more superior to we Mexicans (south of the border). We are far more cultured and know who we are and prefer to sit in a gondola on our mighty Yarra River rather than get into a heated debate and after all ...

Melbourne is ranked world's most liveable city for sixth consecutive year by EIU

So Snap Sydney!

Thanks once again for your time Ken, it truly is appreciated and I am determined not to waste your efforts.

Cheers,

PS:
Thanks Margeurite
#1367473 by Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 pm
Hi Ken,
After reading, sharing and studying, "52 Top SBI! Solopreneurs Share Their Must-Do "Non-Secrets" of Success", and your response (critique) of Marylyn's family-getaways-melbourne.com . . .

. . . I'm blown away :!:

It's taken me a few days to cogitate all the powerful information so I could fashion some kind of reply without my mouth hanging open and my mind drawing a blank. :shock:

Needless to say, I dropped my weekly goals, headed over to my websites and tweaked my home pages. I attacked them like I do my grape vine every year, hacking it back in all the right places in order optimize its yield at harvest time . . . painful, but the results will be worth it.

Those of us over at the Page a Week Challenge are sharing Marylyn's journey, supporting her and applying what we learn to our own websites . . .

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1367177#p1367177

. . . Oops! Did I just say that (websites) :?::roll: I mean, "online businesses". :wink:

I look forward to following this adventure and wherever it leads will be great :!:8)
#1367738 by Jill from Mullengudgery
Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:35 am
Marylyn, thanks so much for your brilliantly positive attitude and willingness to 'have ago' - yet again - in response to Ken's critique of your site.

It must have helped many to consider putting themselves in your shoes and, hopefully, although Ken's remarks must have shocked you, your willingness to take advantage of such top level advice is setting us all a great example.

Yes, 'Goodonya', both Ken and Marylyn. Now I'm borrowing your shoes and am off to examine my own backyard!