... SOME fabulous-sounding product or resource that could be of use to your online business? Here's the place to share something new that's NOT yet in the HQs yet. ...UPCOMING conferences and get-togethers being held near you? Mentorship threads? (ex., WAHM, 20 something, 50+ and more)?
... BUSINESS for sale? This is the place to buy/sell businesses! :-)
SBI! builds businesses with real value (EQUITY) - there have been sales with valuations in 6 figures here! Please read the Buy/Sell Guidelines in the FAQ first (requires use of the official template).
... If you "heard about it" and it fits one of the above, post it right here!
... NOTE: Please post challenges in the most appropriate forum for your challenge topic. Thanks very much.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1381006 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm
If I am not mistaken, there are 500 SBI sites listed on results.sitesell.com. This also happens to be Ken's target number for the reviews needed to combat the WA fake reviews.

Obviously, and for reasons I don't understand, all 500 haven't stepped up.

I can understand why new sites, and those not listed on that results page, might struggle with what to write in their reviews. But in my opinion, there's no excuse for those who are on the list. If there is, please post them here to help me to understand.

My site is listed on results.sitesell.com, and I took the time to write my review even though I always seem to be months behind on everything.

[Domain Private]

I constantly find myself feeling embarrassed for Ken having to beg for reviews from those who have benefited from his work. But after what Ken and his family have gone through this past week, I felt it was time for me to join him in his begging.

So, I hereby challenge all fellow SBI'rs with sites listed on results.sitesell.com who haven't written a review to either:

1. Step up and create your review now.

2. Post your reason for not doing so here so I and others can possibly help you to overcome those reasons.

C'mon .05%'rs, lets show Ken we've got his back!

Dan
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved here from Water Cooler; added "CHALLENGE" to subject.
#1381014 by Ugo from Meifu
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 pm
1. I am busy doing other work.
2. I realized that my site has gone through a 40% drop in traffic in less than 10 months for no particular reason that I am aware of.
3. New (high-quality) pages I publish are no longer ranking well (or being indexed).

I was going to write the review last month, than realized point #2 and #3, so now the little time I have to dedicate on my site will first be dedicated to understanding what is going on, why my site is nose-diving. The main reason why I want to understand is because I recommend SBI pretty much every day of my life to people I meet when I travel or when I talk about my work during speeches here in Taiwan. I have been recommending SBI since 2008 from the bottom of my heart and still want to do so, but my personal SBI ship is somewhat sinking, so first I need to do some research and work on that side, then hopefully, get to write the review.

Ugo
#1381020 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:32 pm
Hi Ugo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reasons. I'm very sorry to hear your traffic has dropped (that's likely happened to all of us long-timers at one time or another).

If I may, one of the reasons Ken is pushing hard to offset the damage done by the fake reviews, is to grow the SBI subscriptions to the point he can create an "SBIsland", where the goal will be a 100% success rate.

In other words, the closer SBI gets to having 50,000 members, the more funds SBI will have to invest in our success, and the more SBI will be able to focus on helping groups of subscribers to overcome their particular sets of obstacles.

Toward that end, I encourage you to take the time to write the review. Your traffic decline is certainly no small matter, but it's likely not a problem that can be solved in a matter of hours (the time it would take to write a review).

Forgive me if I've overstepped my bounds, but I truly believe the time each of us takes to write a review will pay big dividends down the road.

Best wishes,

Dan
#1381027 by Mary from Mico
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 pm
Hi Dan!

I love your spirit!

Ugo. There are so many ups and downs for most websites that just blend into the graph over time. Hopefully there's nothing huge, but maybe the https opportunity will be a big help.

Have you posted your site for a review? Others may have good ideas, too. Looking at your home page makes it seem as if you're making a shift in what your site is about: from travel to pizza? Would that be confusing the search engines?

I have struggled with my sites' recovery from down turns and know the grief. Hugely.

Nevertheless, formerly I've had huge success with my sites and have been able to write a review based on encouraging others to learn what they can for their own businesses. It remains that the business side of my sites is still a success because of SBI. And that's an evergreen concept.

I hope this helps,

Mary
#1381029 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 pm
My plant site is in the results, but not my smaller ones. I've got reviews on the biggest and next one down. Does that mean you shouldn't bother? NO! Do a review. No matter what. Even Ugo, you can refer to the great support you get from people on the forums, offers of a site review and so on, even when you feel like a failure.This makes it all the more real to those thinking of joining, in comparison to some other builders who let you sink or swim. Just my humble opinion.
#1381048 by Ugo from Meifu
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 am

Hi Mary,

Looking at your home page makes it seem as if you're making a shift in what your site is about: from travel to pizza? Would that be confusing the search engines?

Maybe you looked at the wrong homepage, the ratio of me talking about my position at my company on my homepage is about 5%. The content about my pizza business on my site may be around 1%. I doubt it is a factor.

My site has a billion things which could be improved, I know that.

What I also know is that I have sites built with Weebly and WP in both English and Chinese and my pages get indexed pretty much instantly and I score top results at search engines even though those sites have Google PR of 1 - yes, also for relatively competitive keywords.

I learned most of my craft (SEO concepts, site-building best practices) through SBI over the years. I still believe that it is the best place for someone to get started from scratch to build a coherent website that is on-topic and focused, and I still recommend it almost every single day to people I meet. I'm probably one of the biggest "preacher" of SBI out there.

What we cannot hide or try to avoid is that other publishing platforms are as good -or better- than SBI these days - TO PUBLISH. I can add content on the go from my phone on WP and Weebly, snap few pictures, write text, arrange SEO, alt-tags, then publish. I can't do that with SBI.

I was in Bangkok last week, with slower connections, and I could not do ANYTHING on SBI, for a whole week, I simply couldn't log into the system, couldn't access my MKL, couldn't access BB2. Then when I would finally accessed it, started adding blocks of texts, small pictures, I would get a message that said: SORRY, AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE....... or something like that. Then I would lose my work and have to start all over again. Highly, highly, highly frustrating. I did publish some content, but it was not smooth operation.

Somehow, with WP and Weebly, everything was lightning fast with the same connection, text, BIG pictures, videos, drag blocks, insert content, press publish, done! I wanted to make a video or the three windows all opened at the same time, and show what I could do on Weebly and WP (both hosted on Bluehost btw), while SBI was endlessly LOADING......................... but just decided it was pointless and unproductive.

The sad part is that working on my Taiwanese website with SBI is how I relax from my real work. It's supposed to be fun, I want to share my passion about Taiwan with the world, I'm not even worried about making money with that site. The minimum I expect is that the system works and my pages get indexed properly, and not penalized for some random or unknown reasons. (Again, I know my site needs improvement, but I still need an answer for my 40% free-fall in traffic and why some pages are simply not ranking.)

What we are talking about here is the most precious commodity available on earth: TIME. I use these platforms (SBI included) not to help any group's popularity contest or business, or make the internet more fair. I am **profanity auto removed** off at the whole WA story, but (as selfish as it may sound), I have my own stuff to do, regardless of what is happening to Ken's business, or personal situation.

Ken is in some ways one of my mentors even though we've never met, and I'm probably one of the few who does read (completely) through his extra long messages. (No Ken, they are not too long!) I print his articles and ebooks and have memorized many of his quotes and ideas.

When I do publish my review, it will be from the heart, genuine, and it will describe what I honestly like, and dislike, about the system. I will take the time, when I have it, to write this review because I feel that I was given a lot by Ken in my early years in business, and I owe that to him.

So back to my #1 reason for not having written the review yet, it is because I am too busy at the moment, then I need to assess what is going on with my site's traffic, and also I feel I need some answers as to why the system hasn't been fast enough - or much slower - than other platforms as I had less-than-ideal connections last week.

I want to do my part, I want to help, I want to write my review. I just need time, and a few answers.

Ugo
#1381059 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Ugo,

I can't argue with any of your points. There are certainly aspects with SBI I'm not particularly fond of either.

For me, it's the overall package that puts SBI's business building product head and neck above the rest. I have no doubt that without discovering that overall package (SBI tools, guidance, integrity, and Ken's selfless, tireless efforts), instead of being free to work at what I love from home, I would now be a slaving away at some stress-filled thankless job.

And when you combine what I owe Ken and SBI with my total disgust for unscrupulous businesses like WA -- businesses that put their insatiable greed ahead of what's best for their unsuspecting customers -- I was left with no choice but to drop what I was doing and write the review.

Ugo from Meifu wrote:I want to do my part, I want to help, I want to write my review. I just need time, and a few answers.

Excellent! I look forward to reading your review when you get the time and answers.

Thank you for taking the time and courage to answer my call.

Still waiting to hear from the other 400+ .05%'rs ... hello?

Dan
#1381085 by Richard from Spain
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 pm
Dan,

you have shamed me into taking the time to write a review.

It's at [Domain Private]

It's my story of how I discovered SBI, and how it has helped me to think about retiring from clinical dental practice sooner than I thought possible. I hope it's adequate for purpose.

Richard
#1381098 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 am
Dan from Saint Albans Bay wrote:If I am not mistaken, there are 500 SBI sites listed on results.sitesell.com. This also happens to be Ken's target number for the reviews needed to combat the WA fake reviews.

Obviously, and for reasons I don't understand, all 500 haven't stepped up.

I can understand why new sites, and those not listed on that results page, might struggle with what to write in their reviews. But in my opinion, there's no excuse for those who are on the list. If there is, please post them here to help me to understand.

My site is listed on results.sitesell.com, and I took the time to write my review even though I always seem to be months behind on everything.

[Domain Private]

I constantly find myself feeling embarrassed for Ken having to beg for reviews from those who have benefited from his work. But after what Ken and his family have gone through this past week, I felt it was time for me to join him in his begging.

So, I hereby challenge all fellow SBI'rs with sites listed on results.sitesell.com who haven't written a review to either:

1. Step up and create your review now.

2. Post your reason for not doing so here so I and others can possibly help you to overcome those reasons.

C'mon .05%'rs, lets show Ken we've got his back!

Dan

Not in the results, but I'm the "Wendy", who Ken keeps talking about in his write a review request threads, he linked to my "not quite a review" to in his "share your story" review thread (I believe it is the 3rd thread in his series of review writing threads?). It was my post here on the forums that he had used as his example for "how to write an SBI review", using my example of my search for a webhost and stumbling upon SBI by being a member of an RV forum then finding most of the RVers I talked to also managed SBI hosted sites.

Ironically, though Ken used my forum post as the example for how to write a review, I do not have a review page on my site.

Why?

Well, several reasons. First being that I was a sales representative for 16 years, then was a retail merchandiser, and also a copy writers (a person who writes sales copy for products).

Now, though I have no offline income and am fully living off my online sales of my books and art and also AdSence from YouTube and my SBI site.

A thing I have learned over the years is the customer (who is always right, even if they are wrong, because you smile and make then feel right anyways) does not like to be "told" what to buy. And most reviews, regardless of the product in question, tend to be written in a very "buy, buy, buy" focus, which turns people off.

So, no, my site does not have a "SBI review page".

As of today, what is does have is 1,469 live pages and many more in draft to go live at a rate of 1 or 2 or more per day.

The format I write in, is exactly the same you see on the forums here. Very much a conversational "so here's what happened to me, what I did, and the results I got from it". And, as I'm in the habit of answering questions sent to my by the readers of my novels, you see me writing lots of pages on a wide variety of topics, not always "on topic" to my niche (writing dark fantasy novels).

So, what does that have to do with why there is no SBI review page on my site?

I'll tell you.

Because a high rate of my site viewers are people who have read my novels and are not seeking to become authors writing novels of their own, I end up with a high rate of questions like:

(Look for it... you are going to see the answer to why there is no SBI review page on my site in this list...)

How do you create an Elf wizard?
How did you create your world's magic system?
How many pages should my novel be?
What editing program should I use?
Should I self publish or send it to a big 5 publisher?
How do I promote my book?
Do I need an author website?
How did you build your author home page?
How do I research keywords for pages of my book's site?

Did you see it? Let me give you that list again, with the answer highlighted...

How do you create an Elf wizard?
How did you create your world's magic system?
How many pages should my novel be?
What editing program should I use?
Should I self publish or send it to a big 5 publisher?
How do I promote my book?
Do I need an author website?
How did you build your author home page?
How do I research keywords for pages of my book's site?

Each of those questions has been asked to be dozens of times in dozens of ways, and each of them has their own page on my website.

I answer their questions telling them exactly what I did. From my first free hosted site way back in 1997, to my BlogSpot blog, to the rise of Yahoo search engine changing the face of the internet and the way websites were built, to my move to WordPress, to the creation of Google and it's fast track change of how site now had to worship it's feet of die, to the rise and fall of Squidoo, to the bomb blowing up my house and the need for new living conditions resulting in my search for a motorhome, resulting in my finding iRV2.com the massive million member forum for rvers and meeting about 30 RVers each of whom traveled the country living 100% of their SBI sites, my researching SBI and finding the slew of WA hate reviews trying to give SBI a bad name, my asking actual people I knew who ran SBI sites about these reviews and their own forum posts on iRV2 that shared how SBI changed their lives, how I then moved my site off WP to SBI, and moved my Squidoo pages to SBI as well....

...the forum post that Ken linked to and used in his example, was a quote from that page of my website, a page that was published back in 2013, 4 years before Ken's request for reviews.

It's not a "review" of SBI and SBI is not the focus topic, but, it is the story of how I discovered SBI and how I came to choose SBI as my host, after going through many, many, many web hosts over a period of nearly 20 years. It's just my personal experience with various web hosts over the years and why each one worked when I joined, why I eventually outgrew each one and set out to search for a new one, why I picked the new one, etc.

The page is not a review for or against any of the web hosts, but rather, just my journey from one to the next, with my experiences in each.

* Do I need an author website?

When answering this one, I share my personal experience, with how having a website helps an author brand themselves and I go into again, my journey in building various versions of my author home page on varius hosts over the years, and again, with SBI being the one I am using now, SBI does end up being the one I recommend new authors use.

* How did you build your author home page?

I did a whole series of pages, 20 or so, to answer this one. And have more still being written that'll go up soon. I cover all the aspects of what an author should have on their site and then go step by step instruction on "Now here's how you would do that if you use SBI", pointing out I use SBI and love it.

* How do I research keywords for pages of my book's site?

Now this one, is where you see me talking about SBI and BrainstormIt both. Because I used to be one of the forum mods over on Squidoo and had access to the inner workings of a web host company from behind the scenes, I ended up with a lot of SEO knowledge, and had written many of Squidoo's SEO articles and help guides.

A lot of my followers who remember me from Squidoo, and knowing how Google's Panda just slaughtered Squidoo, have since come to me looking for advice on... "Where do we go from here now that Squidoo is gone?" "How do we win at SEO now that Panda is here?"

Well, Squidoo was crashing hard in 2010, struggling desperately to keep afloat in 2012, and just sunk fast in 2013; and that's why I started researching to find a new host to work with, because being on the inside of Squidoo, but only being a minor person with no say, I could see the company was going under, but nothing I could do about it other then jump ship and move elsewhere before it was gone. Thus how I found SBI.

Researching keywords for sites like Squidoo was something I was known for and suddenly Panda changed everything, so I had to do research in how to survive Panda and the new ways of SEO and keywords. Because I had done it before, people were asking my advice on what to do after Panda, especially authors who got hit hard by Panda.

The result is a massive whopping 75 page series of articles on the topic of keyword research for authors, that included, how to implement it on your SBI site, and a whole series of pages that detail how to use SBI's BrainStormer along side Keyword.io and Google's keyword planner, to find the best keywords for your site.

Some of these pages have the words "SBI" and/or "BrainmstormIt" in the url.

And that series is on going, with me adding a new page to it every couple of weeks.

New to that series, is the page on how to use BrainstormIt after it's recent 4.0 update (which I love!)

* Will I do a page specifically called "A Review of SBI"?

Maybe? I don't know.

Making a specific review of a specific product, always feels "fake" to me, whether the review is good, bad, or neutral.

And I think that mind set, comes from my previous long career working in direct face to face sales with retail customers. I know how to be fake to sell a product that's on sale this week. I did it for 16 years as a door-to-door salesmen no less. I'm a good salesman, you have to be to survive door-to-door sales for 16 years. But the thing is, no matter what I'm selling, I always know the pitch is fake to make the sale and that has never felt right to me.

And that's why you never seen me leave reviews on Amazon even though I read a few books each week. Yet on the other hand, you see me inadvertently weaving "reviews" into my articles without even realizing it, because I'll say... "Now I've never written that in one of my books, but that ___ when he wrote ____, he did that..." Then I'll go off topic, like I always do, and talk about why I did or did not like said book, then go back into answering my reader's question.

Well, that's the same thing you see me doing with SBI. Heck, every other page on my site ends up mentioning SBI, even if only in one sentence, because I'll use examples in my writing and I'll say... "Well, SBI made it easy for me to do that on my site because of this..." It may be the only time SBI is mentioned on the page.

The thing is, I already have more than 100 pages on my site where I am talking about SBI, how I use it, why I love it, and especially my rampant overuse of BrainstormIt.

Plus... I'm a YouTube vlogger, and all of my pages on my site have videos made to go with them so I've got several videos where I talk about using SBi as (including the far more detailed live interview version of the RV story Ken had quoted in his post, which, I'm actually not aware if he knows the video exists, because he was quoting my forum post that was quoting my website, rather than quoting my website; and again, that video was made a full year before Ken's request for reviews went out)

So, while a direct "review page" may never show up on my site, because I don't really like the concept of writing reviews, I do frequently talk about SBI on most of the pages of my site and many of my YouTube vlogs and have several BI specific pages on my site and will continue to do so. And, I use the affiliate banners to link to SBI's various pages, so that people reading my articles actually know what I'm talking about when I say SBI.

With my recent obsession with the new release of BI, I can see several more BI related pages going up before the end of the year too.

btw, you can see the "SBI" motorhome (the one Ken referenced in his post) that I ended up buying as a result of SBI here:

[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]

she was your standard white rv when I bought her, the whole thing is painted by hand by me with a #6 fine point round brush.
#1381115 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Richard from Spain wrote:Dan,

you have shamed me into taking the time to write a review.

It's at [Domain Private]

It's my story of how I discovered SBI, and how it has helped me to think about retiring from clinical dental practice sooner than I thought possible. I hope it's adequate for purpose.

Richard,

Awesome! Thank you for stepping up and doing your part to combat the fake reviews that are hurting all of us. The sooner we can get those fake reviews shuffled to page 20 of the search engine results, the sooner SBI will have more funds to invest back into helping us to preserve and grow our businesses.

Now, please join me in "shaming" more the .05%'rs into writing their reviews. :wink:

Dan
#1381118 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Wendy,

I can certainly relate to your sales experience, and your reluctance to write a review. I once quit a $10,000-a-month sales position because I couldn't live with the feeling that I was "stealing candy from a baby." Being born with an overly active conscious has severely limited my vocational choices. As much as I would love the paychecks, I could never sleep with "CEO of Phillip Morris" or "CEO of WA" appearing on my business card. :lol:

For me, creating a "review page" is not about demanding people buy SBI. It's about ...

1. Providing proof that SBI works for those that follow the Action Guide and refuse to give up.

2. Driving the fake reviews down the search results so SBI can live or die on its own merits.

Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente wrote:So, while a direct "review page" may never show up on my site, because I don't really like the concept of writing reviews, I do frequently talk about SBI on most of the pages of my site and many of my YouTube vlogs and have several BI specific pages on my site and will continue to do so. And, I use the affiliate banners to link to SBI's various pages, so that people reading my articles actually know what I'm talking about when I say SBI.

I certainly applaud the subtle manner in which you recommend SBI to your audience. The question is, when an unsuspecting soloprenuer wanna-be searches for "SBI Review", will your subtle recommendations show up in the results? Or will a fake review show up? That's really what it boils down to. So the reason you don't like reviews might actually be a good reason to create one. :wink:

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their businesses, or to go against their values. I just feel I owe it to Ken and his team to help give them a fighting chance against an opponent who obviously wasn't cursed with a conscious like mine.

Best wishes,

Dan
#1381251 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:38 pm
Just call me "Dan-ta", cause I'm keeping a list of .05%'rs who haven't posted their reviews, and checking it twice. :lol: Not really, but I might once I get done launching my site redesign.

As they say after playing a blooper on an NFL pregame show ... "C'mon man!"

Imagine how good you'll feel when you've done your part to combat the fake reviews, which in turn will help all of us down the road. Rid yourself of the nagging guilt today! :D

Pretty please? I'll even wash your car windows if you swing by the house.

Picture me as a guy on the street corner, with sad clown eyes, holding out a tin cup marked "SBI Reviews".

Dan