Pour yourself an e-cappuccino and c'mon in. This is the spot for idle chat, gossip, rumors, and personal news. If it is personal, it belongs here, as long as it's done well and stays friendly. :-)

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1386202 by ken-admin
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi to all,

A mini-ramble inspired by David's post at...

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1386128#p1386128

He re-introduced himself as being back with SBI!. Part of what he said...

I have tried things such as Network Marketing many times...

Then the other day I had a conversation about life that brought me back here.

I love that a conversation about life brought David back. At its highest level, SBI! is all about life - and getting more out of it.

And that brings us to...

--

A Major Getting-Started Solopreneur Problem

Most would-be solopreneurs have never been businesspeople. They don't start their quest online with the desire to start a business, let alone fully understand what that takes.

They think, instead, "make money online." And here's the quick bottom line on that...

NONE of them work. But they do attract folks who are thinking primarily "make money online."

I'm not talking about Get Rich Quick, which is a whole uglier level of scam. I'm talking about things such as MLM or even becoming a YouTube vlogger. In EVERY field, there are a few exceptional talents.

Anyone who has tried MLM knows someone who is so outgoing, genuinely friendly and trustworthy that they build up huge teams. It's not, however, a transferable skill. Few can do it as well as "the natural."

So a small number of people make huge sums, but the vast majority make little or nothing - or worse, spend a ton.

YouTube? Sooner or later, you'll come across someone like Logan Paul...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8rbF ... 0yOd8vqIZg

This is the guy that we got into a minor car accident with in California (just a mirror ding). I talked about it at this post (but didn't mention his name)...

A Summer Vacation Adventure - And What It Means For You!
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1382987#p1382987

The video that he made from the encounter with "l'il old us" has over 10M views. That's more views that every video we've ever made (with 9M left over! ;-) ).

By the way, if you missed that post, it talks about "degrees of difficulty" to succeed with various LEGIT formats of starting online businesses.

Worth the read if you missed it.

The bottom line of that post? Building a theme-based content site is still the easiest, most reproducible format to build your own online business, one that both generates income and builds equity.

--

Before considering LEGIT formats, however, one's mindset needs to drop "make money" and move on to "start a business." Money, at least for most, is a crappy motivator when you start your own business.

And it leaves you open to all kinds of "come-ons" such as MLM.

It leaves you open to the "sensational star" stories, such as Logan Paul's. He certainly makes a ton of money.

But it requires skill that few have. I don't mean that you have to be an idiotic raving lunatic like Logan, able to put together crazed vids for 14 year olds. That's only one skill.

Instead, as I catch Golden State's 10 minute summary of the previous night's game, I come across the occasional basketball YouTube vlog that has 100,000 - 300,000 followers. I also notice (but only because I'm paying attention for SBI! purposes) countless folks who've tried and failed or are trying and failing.

The ratio is crazy. But those doing well not only have a clear passion and knowledge, they have the ability to turn it all into an entertaining or educational "video of excellence."

You simply need to get too much right to really succeed at YouTube. If you are thinking like a businessperson, you'll realize that. But if "make money" is driving you, you could try, take courses, try again, and still fail.

Another example - some of the folks who write fake Wealthy Affiliate reviews talk less about the product and more about how much they make from the program. In other words...

"Buy WA so you can become an affiliate and make money by pushing WA on others."

They don't mention that the Top 20 results of the SERPs is jammed by skilled pros for all the terms that are worth ranking for. But if "make money" drives folks, the "make money" message is all that sticks in their heads.

We all hear what we want to hear.

--

The GoDaddy study that we just released...

http://www.sitesell.com/blog/2017/11/on ... ildit.html

And see the forum announcement post at...

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=224261

There were so many trash sites (2, 3, 4 pages) that we had to change our definition of an active site in order to develop a comparable set of sites!

We had to parse through 195,000 domain names in order to find ten thousand “Real Effort” websites at GoDaddy!

That gives ourselves a huge disadvantage, comparing ourselves to their "cherries," yet still generated 10X results. The point here is that so many folks value the "unlimited domain names" that they get for the same hosting fee.

One of the most common questions to question.sitesell.com is "how many sites do I get?" The answer is that "you get one business and that's going to take more than enough of your time" (with added explanation).

Having tons of sites is an illusion since none of them get any traffic (which is why we had to filter so aggressively). Technically, we should have counted those sites since folks do waste time putting them up as part of their approach.

They figure that with enough sites, they are bound to, yes, you guessed it...

"make money." The problem is that 100 sites x $0 still equals $0.

--

Bottom line: More than 20 years into online solopreneurship, "make money" drives immature ways to think about using the web.

There's a steady stream of new folks to replace those who finally give up. And there are so few writing about business seriously, "make money" remains a dominant way of thinking.

What a waste of a brilliant opportunity. In modern history, prior to the Internet, it has never been so cheap/low-risk/do-able to build an actual business. You tailor it to your goals and time availability.

Every now and then, here in the forums, such as when I read David's post, it hits me...

Whenever I frequent Net marketing forums or FB groups or whatever, the difference in the level of thinking between there and here is striking.

It has been extremely gratifying to watch folks start SBI! with at least a superficial understanding of building a business. That's a start. From there, mindsets evolve as they see the bigger picture, as traffic starts to grow followed by the first drops of income.

What separates you from everyone else (aside from the features of SBI! itself) is...

1) the philosophy of OVERdelivering what people want by creating your own unique, high-value content.

-AND-

2) the fuel of BAM. It takes passion and knowledge of a niche, the right attitude and tons of motivation.

Money is the desired outcome, but like I said, it's not the motivating input. So yes, "making money" is ultimately one of the results, growing equity being the other. And it's an important result, obviously!

But THAT is the big difference...

It's the RESULT, not the driver.

--

What do you think? Did you start out looking for "make money" opportunities? Did you think like a business person?

I'd love to hear your personal story, not how you found SBI!, but how your thinking evolved from there.

All the best,
Ken
#1386220 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:02 am
ken-admin wrote:
We had to parse through 195,000 domain names in order to find ten thousand “Real Effort” websites at GoDaddy!

That gives ourselves a huge disadvantage, comparing ourselves to their "cherries," yet still generated 10X results. The point here is that so many folks value the "unlimited domain names" that they get for the same hosting fee.

One of the most common questions to question.sitesell.com is "how many sites do I get?" The answer is that "you get one business and that's going to take more than enough of your time" (with added explanation).

Having tons of sites is an illusion since none of them get any traffic (which is why we had to filter so aggressively). Technically, we should have counted those sites since folks do waste time putting them up as part of their approach.

They figure that with enough sites, they are bound to, yes, you guessed it...

"make money." The problem is that 100 sites x $0 still equals $0.

--

What do you think? Did you start out looking for "make money" opportunities? Did you think like a business person?

I'd love to hear your personal story, not how you found SBI!, but how your thinking evolved from there.

All the best,
Ken

I remember the fad of doing lots of small mini sites.

Doing the tons of mini sites is how I got started web building. It was fun to do and a great hobby but, just like you said, none of them got much if any traffic. I had over 200 sites at one point. All 10 pages or less each. Most of them were fanlisting sites (a fan girl gushing about how much they love this actor or that band or this book or that movie). Each one was lucking if they even got 100 page views a year. It is SOOOO hard to get traffic to those kinds of mini sites. I started out as a teenager, doing it in my spare time as a way to share info and knew nothing about SEO or monetizing or anything.

Looking back now, it was a great learning experience, but in terms of how much time I put into it, vs how much income just one big content site would have made in that same time, it was actually a very large waste of my time.

From mini-sites I moved to blogging. Got much better at SEO, figured out how to get traffic to my pages, and gained a email list of 300,000+ subscribers, but monetizing through blogs, just is not that good, so again I was learning, but still put in huge amounts of effort for very little return.

SBIs method of one big site, one niche topic, focus on content, works so much better. You get both the traffic and the income coming in. My SBI site still has not reached the traffic levels of my blog yet, but it's already way surpassed it in terms of bringing in income. And my traffic steadily increases, so I expect the income to increase as well.

So I started out in terms of "OMG! I can share how much I love ____ online! YAY!" and didn't think about money at all, and spend hours and hours and hours for several years, amassing tons of little tiny mini sites that didn't get traffic or bring in income.

Which evolved to me wanting to find way to share info with more people so I switched to blogging and starting thinking about SEO to reach more people, but still, money, business, and income with just minor after thoughts.

I didn't start thinking about the business/income/money side of it until quite a few years after I started. Once I started thinking about the money side of it, I moved into content farms like Squidoo and HubPages and that was great, but they kept a 50% cut of the income, so I started thinking.... why write for them and earn 50% when I could write for myself and earn 100%?

I started researching how to make money from your own websites and was talking about it with some of my RV friends over on an RV forum, and several of them were telling me how they ran their own websites. The ones that were having the best success in terms of income were always ones using SBI, so I decided to try it out for a few months, figured I'd give it 3 months and see what happened... 4 years later I'm still here and my SBI site now has 1,601 pages, more added every day, and now, my boyfriend had just retired and is planning to start his own photography business and I've been talking to him about my site and now he's looking into SBI, thinking of using it to start a photography site to showcase his work and teach people about cameras.

SBI has definitely giving me a new outlook on web building and changed how I look at building sites and took it from being just a hobby to actually being an income. I'm very glad I found SBI.
#1386229 by Nigel from Bukit Mandai
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:08 pm
Yes, most definitely Dr Ken. It's been an interesting 2-3 years for me, as I went around experimenting/gallivanting/testing:

1) Self hosted wordpress with bluehost
2) Wealthy Affiliates
3) Network Marketing
4) Scores of affiliate marketing etc
5) etc

It's been an interesting journey, and after trying, looking and seeing - I decided that Site Build It, is still the way I prefer to do things. I've started to port my main sites ([Domain Private]) back to SBI, and another [Domain Private], and that's pretty much my key focus, other than my health supplement affiliate site.

I think I've matured a little too, whittling down "all those shiny objects syndrome" to focus on a few ideas that I truly resonate with.

And I am so looking forward to 2018 - so much to look forward to! =)

Here's to a better 2018 for SBI and SBIers!
#1386269 by Mary from Mico
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 am
Hi Ken,

I had already had a product, so was thinking sales already; yet as I learned from the Action Guide I could see the opportunity for a much better business than I'd thought. I'd not ever thought that I could sell other people's stuff or create downloads.

Very big learning curve, yet quite worth it on several counts.

Thank you for all you've done to inspire us to do expand our horizons.

Mary