Pour yourself an e-cappuccino and c'mon in. This is the spot for idle chat, gossip, rumors, and personal news. If it is personal, it belongs here, as long as it's done well and stays friendly. :-)

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1392128 by Cate 1 from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Saratoga Springs]
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm
I always need white noise while working. When I would study in high school and college, the noisier my environment, the better! (Probably because I had four younger brothers and needed to drown out THEIR noise...)

Now I'm known for always having the TV or music on in the background while I'm at home, driving the car, in my office at my day job, etc.

What do YOU listen to while you work on your SBI! site?

I'll get the conversation started by sharing that I'm currently streaming the '80's on 8' channel from Sirius XM, while taking advantage of a snow day to work on my future SBI! site. :-)
#1392134 by Maria from Agness
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm
Depends what mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll listen to music, can be anything from instrunental jazz or blues to rock music.
I suffer with tinnutus so it's never quiet and the music can help to drown out the noise in my head. Other days when the tinnutus isn't so bad I prefer complete quiet as I don't get that very often, which is really weird as I have severe hearing loss :lol:

It will be interesting to see what others listen too.
Maria
#1392135 by Cate 1 from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Saratoga Springs]
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 pm
When I'm not in the mood for music I use an app called "Rain Rain". I have it downloaded on my iPhone and Kindle Fire (not sure about Android). There are a ton of free white noise options, including nature, machines, transportation, etc. You can also combine up to 3 sounds to make your own custom mix. The app offers premium sounds, but there are so many free ones, I've never been tempted.

My favorite is the crackling fireplace with thunder cracking and rain 3D. Blizzard and ocean waves are other good ones. I think I've used the train once or twice. Probably 90% of the time I'm using the app to help lull me to sleep, so it's not my go-to option when working, LOL!

But thought someone here might enjoy it. ;-)
#1392139 by Dee from Cape Cod
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 pm
Cate 1 from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Saratoga Springs] wrote:Now I'm known for always having the TV or music on in the background while I'm at home, driving the car, in my office at my day job, etc.

I'm the same, Cate. The noisier the better, as long as the "noise" isn't from someone talking to me while I'm trying to concentrate ... which I guess makes my preferred white noise source somewhat odd. It's talk radio. :lol:

Dee
#1392170 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am
I have a playlist on YouTube that I put all my fave songs in, I let that run in the background. It's mostly German industrial metal. Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, and Blutengel, along with Feuerschwanz, Saltatio Mortis, Nightwish, Avatar, Die Antwoord, David Bowie, Tin Machine, Alice Cooper, Ghost BC, Insane Clown Posse, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Lordi, Liberace, Dropkick Murphys, and Rob Zombie

Because this question was asked by one of my site readers, I went and made a set of "What I listen to while I write" pages, that are "Top 10 songs" from each band, with the YouTube videos embedded into it. I only just started making them last month.

Here's the ones I made so far, if you don't know the band, you can listen to them...

[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]

I'm going to be making more of these pages later this month and next month, because I haven't covered all my fave bands yet, only those.

Funny thing is, these pages are COMPLETELY off topic to my site, and are just there as sort of an "added interest" for the "about me" section... but, since making them, last month they've been my top trafficed pages for 4 weeks now. They just shot right to the top and Google has been sending these pages way more traffic then any of my site's on-topic pages have gotten these same weeks.

It's weird. I always hear how "top 10" music lists are among the best pages to make, but my site wasn't music related so I never made any before, and I only did it this past month because one of my readers had requested it. I was completely side swiped by how much traffic these pages are getting from Google.

I think, after seeing this, I'd almost go so far as to recommend ever site owner make an "about me" index page, then make lots of "my top 10" pages linked to from it. Even though they are off topic to the site, they help tell your site visitors more about the person behind the site, and these top 10 pages seem to way outrank my regular site pages in terms of Google traffic. (I don't normally get much traffic from Google, most of my traffic comes from social media link clicks... I may get 100 page views TOTAL across ALL pages from Google in the entire month... but these top 10 pages with YouTube videos embedded in them, get that many views each page, each day from Google. I definitely recommend others try doing something like this to help boost their overall site traffic.)

I keep hearing how Google gives rank boosts to sites that embed YouTube videos because Google owns YouTube and wants to promote it... I don't know if that true or not, but it certainly looks like it could be. I'm definitely going to be putting more YouTube videos embedded into my over all site pages after seeing this happen.

I wonder too. After this happened, I did a Google search to see how many other sites had "Top 10" videos for these particular bands, and, the answer was ZERO. These bands are very niche and don't have a lot of fans outside of Germany, so I'm wondering if having an English language site talking about them, had something to do with it? I mean: Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, Blutengel, Feuerschwanz, Saltatio Mortis, Avatar, and Die Antwoord...; I'm LITERALLY the ONLY English language site in the search results with pages about these bands. I don't know, I may have just stumbled onto an untapped niche here. Most Americans don't seem to even know German Industrial Metal exists, so no English language sites are made about them. Their own home pages are in German. Their fan pages are in German. I think my site being English language might have something to do with why these pages are getting so much traffic, even though they are not on topic to y site niche.
#1392362 by Mike from England
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm
Wendy - love your taste in music.

I love anything chilled out while working. Jazzy hip hop instrumentals (vocals distract me) and ambient music ala Brian Eno. If you search "space ambient" on YT there's a lot of good working/studying music that also inspires you in interesting directions.

Otherwise, good old silence (or as close as we modern humans can get to it) works pretty well.

Typically, I'm alternating between writing and playing/recording guitar, so I am the background music in most cases!
#1392420 by Cath from Italy
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 pm
Like you, Cate, I often have the TV on while I'm working. I don't actually listen to it, it's just droning on in the background. I prefer that to silence, I have no idea why. I think it makes me feel more connected to the world somehow. Being a solopreneur can be an isolating business.

The only thing I actively don't like as noise while I'm working is people talking to me. I can't do both at once so I have to stop and talk back. That irritates me quite often because it's never a planned conversation, just someone idly wanting a chat. I try to control it by talking about "office hours" but you know, when you're working from home people tend to think that means watching TV all day.

Oh wait... :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion for the app, I'll check that out. I often have difficulty getting to sleep.

Cath.